Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi there guys, I’m looking for a bit of advice. We picked up our 11 wk old doberman pup on Monday. He’s had 3 nights in his crate now and he is SO distressed, crying all night. The first night he had no accidents but night 2 and 3 he’s has pretty much explosive diarrhoea and is covered in it in the morning. During the day his poops are pretty much normal.
For food we have continued with what the breeder was giving him, a handful of Beta puppy and a handful of beef mince or eggs (not the whites).

Could the diarrhoea be stress related? Wondering if anyone else has come across this!!
Thanks!!
Dog Carnivore Dog breed Plant Companion dog

·
Premium Member
12,355 Posts
Welcome Julia And Nelson I could be a combo of things , New environment , New people . Not with his brothers and sisters , sleeping along , And since he is so young - the food may be to rich for him .

Good luck , others will be on here later , they like to sleep till noon , lol

A few more pictures would be nice : ))

·
Registered
7,196 Posts
Make sure you're getting up midway through the night to get him outside! Make sure he's empty before bed, too.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Welcome Julia And Nelson I could be a combo of things , New environment , New people . Not with his brothers and sisters , sleeping along , And since he is so young - the food may be to rich for him .

Good luck , others will be on here later , they like to sleep till noon , lol

A few more pictures would be nice : ))
Very good point about the food, he’s a pretty beefy wee guy, so he will eat everything in front of him even if it’s too much. Today I’ve tried a few egg yolks in his dry food rather than the beef mince. He’s tummy has seemed to be a lot better today. He was going number 2 about 4x per day with the mince so I think we may have been overdoing it with the amount of food and like you said, the richness. With the lighter meal of egg yolks and just a bit of mince (not with every meal) he seems much happier/playful and hasn’t been going number 2 as much.
Dog Christmas tree Plant Dog breed Carnivore

Dog Plant Dog breed Carnivore Wood

Textile Wood Floor Gas Flooring

·
Living la Vida Loca!
2,757 Posts
He's so cute! My first gal, Coco, loved her crate and would put herself to bed in it. No issues.

My current boy, Sugar, was a disaster! We failed crate training him because he just would not settle. He also escaped his wire crate on many occasions. I then bought a plastic crate that he also escaped out of! I wish I had a camera to see how he did it!

After that I gave up. He is now almost 3 and spends his night in bed with us or on his bed in our bedroom.

It was hard for us to fail miserably and tried for months and months but he had such an aversion to it. So unlike my old gal.

We tried toys, bones, lots of exercise before bed but it didn't work for us.

Keep trying since it hasn't been very long. Be prepared to take him out throughout the night so you don't have to deal with the explosions.

Good luck!

·
Premium Member
1,108 Posts
Nelson looks very sweet!
Crate training can be a real trial.
As others mentioned, don’t overfeed, get up to take out at least once in the night. Practice, practice, practice.

At 16 months, Beau still gets his morning meal in his crate. Any chew toys he gets are given to him after he complies to the command “kennel up!”. It took us from mid-Oct 2020 to mid-May 2021 before I could get Beau to spend more than 1 hour in his kennel without kicking up a fuss. We still work at it daily and sometimes I can get up to 2 hours from him but rarely.

Good luck!

·
Registered
3,792 Posts
What an adorable little guy. That is going to take real effort to not give in a spoil him.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I too was going the crate route with my doberman puppy but she cried every night and I hated it so she ended up sleeping in the bed with me.
Which I found more advantageous. I could keep track of where she was at night and if she was still on the bed she wasn't going to the bathroom because normally they won't go where they sleep and it made it easier for me to get up around midnight or 1 in the morning to take her out to go to the bathroom. So for 8 weeks expect to get up daily in the middle of the night.

As far as during the day I took her outside to pee every 90 mins, and 30 mins after every meal and again I'd get up in the middle of the night to let her outside as well.

It doesn't matter how experienced a dog owner you are it will take you 8-9 weeks to finally house train them or when they're 4 months old. Once they hit the 4 month old mark I'd say 95% of dogs are housebroken. It just takes patience to get to that point. My current doberman Hannah I thought I houstrained her after 7 weeks and I was patting myself on the back and then 3 days later she peed inside. Never get cocky.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts