Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Mo's Mom
904 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So Mariano is due any day now, and we are all beyond excited. I have so much puppy stuff I need to get in the next 10 weeks to prepare for his coming home to us... so my mother suggested having a PUPPY SHOWER! Apparently, one of her friends has one when she got a Westie puppy, and she got tons of stuff for the pup! They brought chew toys and treats and all kinds of gifts...

I see it more of an excuse to get friends together and enjoy some mojitos and great food, but do you think it is weird to have a puppy shower?

·
Mo's Mom
904 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
do you think I should do it before he comes, or after so he can meet everyone and do a little socializing...?

·
Owned by Dobes since 1975
30,675 Posts
Sounds like a cool idea and lots of fun!!

I would do it before you get the pup.

Then you do not have a pup to look after while you and your friends are having fun!!!

:)

·
Da Boss
3,488 Posts
Sounds like a great idea to me!

·
Mo's Mom
904 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I am in Tampa right now, so anyone close would be welcome to come!

I was thinking just apps and cocktails, maybe some games and cake and what not... some blue decorations, pictures of the litter and stuff...

·
Super Moderator
Hairy Dog, RIP Caesar, Katana, Kip, Capri
26,212 Posts
It might be a little tough for a new puppy to meet lots of folks who will want to ooh and ah over him. Have the shower before you get him.

But wait until he is at least born--be sure there will actually be a healthy puppy for you in this litter and get some really nice pictures of the pup for your shower guests to pass around. I'd schedule the shower for about 6 weeks after the pup is born.

In theory aren't your friends and relatives supposed to give the party? You just get to sit, open the presents and play the games--how many words can you make out of "Doberman Pinscher" in 3 minutes? You can start practicing early :)

·
Mo's Mom
904 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
lol, thats great advice! And yeah, I am only in Florida for about 6 more weeks, so I was thinking in maybe like 5 weeks or so (like I said, he is due ANY day now)

My mother lives here in Tampa, and she would probably plan it all out for us and everything... I just do not want people to look at it and be like WTF? What a weirdo lol... I do not have kids, and wont for at least another 3 years or so... so this is a huge exciting thing in my life, why not celebrate little Mariano lol

·
Paralibrarian
6,168 Posts
I think a puppy shower is a cute and fun idea!

I've been thinking about getting a pool like that for Elka. It was 91 here yesterday....not sure what it's up to so far today.

·
Mo's Mom
904 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Apparently, mama is a HUGE water fan! Our breeder had a party for nieces once, and thought it would be cute to get a fortune teller lady... well the lady got to the house, walked in, and looked our breeder straight in the face and said "this is going to sound nuts, but Brie says you forgot to fill her pool this morning...???"

I think that is nuts, but apparently, all of her dogs like it, just Brie more than others...

·
Sea Hag
12,933 Posts
I guess I'm going to sound like Scrooge McDog here-but I'd think this was a blatant demand for presents, and wouldn't be too wild about following through with that. I'd probably buy someone a present for a new puppy anyway, just don't like being emotionally blackmailed into doing it.

Beyond that, the whole idea is just a little too twee for me...but each to his own, I guess.

·
Owned by Dobes since 1975
30,675 Posts
Hey Scrooge McDog.................any reason for a party IS a good idea. :)

Margaritas by the pool, yakking about dogs......

hmmmmmmmm, I need a pool.

·
Luv-The-Nub
1,058 Posts
Oh how fun! I bet you can find tons of cute dog party favors. Bone shaped decor, hydrants, etc. I wish I would have thought of that when I was planning forCadence! I did send " a birth announcement" when she arrived to our home. Do you have a nick name for him? Mariano=lots of syllables :)

·
Luv-The-Nub
1,058 Posts
Oh, you could just add on your invites "gifts not necessary" that way no one would feel obligated, but some would still bring gifts :)

·
Mo's Mom
904 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I would not ever expect someone to bring a gift... though I do not see much difference between that and when my girlfriends ACCIDENTALLY get preggers and I have to buy them gifts... At least Mariano is planned and wanted lol. It is more or less an excuse to get together and talk puppy and have some drinks.

And we are going to call him Mo... Mariano Rivera is a pitcher for the New York Yankees... he is kind of a HUGE DEAL for anyone who does not know baseball here... it is the only thing Eric and I agree on in life lol.

·
Registered
1,748 Posts
I think it's a cute idea. I think I'd go to a puppy shower. I remember those horrible games they would play and I know NOTHING about babies.

·
Mo's Mom
904 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Yeah, I am not going to send like baby shower invitations... just a party invite that says in small print to celebrate the arrival of the puppy. This puppy has been a few years in the making, so I am pretty excited. He is far more planned than most of the human births I know of lol.

Any excuse for cake, wine, and doberman conversation lol... I just was wondering if people would be like WTF?! A PUPPY SHOWER!? And want to have me commited lol

1 - 20 of 31 Posts