Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All,

I had recently taken a dobbie from a friend as she couldnt give him the attention he needs. My landlord had initially told me that I am allowed to have him at my place but has since changed his mind since some of my neighbors have complained about the size of the dog and how intimidating he carries himself.

Do you guys know of any organizations or proper channels to go regarding finding a great home for my dobbie... At this point its me getting evicted or keeping my dobbie and finding a new place... Since I have just "rescued" him I figured that he is not used to me yet so it would be a "good" time to find him a new home before he made my place his new home.

I would really appreciate your help...
  • Red Doberman Turned 2 in March
  • AKC registered
  • Full Blodded

·
Super Moderator
15,483 Posts
Welcome to DT. I'm sorry it didn't work out. It sounds like this is a time sensitive issue because of your housing situation so contacting a rescue group like DRT Doberman Rescue of the Triad -- Available Dobes to either surrender him or help find him a home would be my suggestion.

If you really want to keep him perhaps we could give you some advice on how to find a dobe friendly rental. You just have to decide what you're going to do...

·
Registered
12,009 Posts
I went through the same BS, back in 1977 with our first Doberman puppy Tanya.
- other rental tenants had dogs & cats & superintendent verbally said having pet(s) was OK
- but we got a note under the door, that we had to get rid of our dog or face eviction

PS - Little Background:
- our ground floor apartment was right beside the superintendent (women's) apartment
- it became common knowledge that she liked to snoop in others apartments, when they went off to work
- she had keys to all the doors and liquor bottles magically got half depleted & refilled with tap water
- so she soon hated us & our Doberman puppy, because her liquor stealing/snooping wouldn't work in our flat
- given our scary 10 week old puppy

So we immediately contacted a lawyer and had a "discrimination law suit letter" drafted up / a $75 cost.
- one letter to super (women)
- one letter to building owner (man from another city)
Owner contacted us directly (he came to our rental), to see if their was a workable solution (that involved getting rid of the pup).
- no we said & also shared the watered down liquor bottle stories, of our neighbors / to him
- eviction complaint stopped, & super women never gave us any more trouble
- a year later we moved into a semi. detached house, one block away

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thank you so much for your response! I am currently not in a position to move so I will have to find alternative options such as having doberman rescue find him a home.

Regards,

·
Super Moderator
15,483 Posts
Best luck to you. You may also ask at your vet's office if there is a good client of theirs who's recently lost a doberman and may be ready for another dog. Often they have a board on the wall for pets seeking homes as well, and you can leave a picture of him there with some details. This is a better method to find him a home than posting on craigslist or the newspaper.

·
Super Moderator
Hairy Dog, RIP Caesar, Katana, Kip, Capri
25,929 Posts
It was nice of you to take him in and try to make it work--but he is new to you and sometimes the best-laid plans go awry.

GK has some good suggestions for you above. Do get him fixed if he is not already, so he won’t be picked up by an irresponsible breeder just to use him as a stud dog.

·
Premium Member
10,045 Posts
I probably should not have replied to this post - I'm sorry - I'm just old and have been around these dogs for a long time - And ours have meet so much to us - Don't let this set you back -

" Someday "

You'll have one on your own term's - and never regret it : ))

Best of Luck

Ken

1 - 9 of 9 Posts