Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello Everyone! We recently got ourselves a Doberman puppy, she was born June 1st 2021. We brought her from Mexico and they couldn’t do her ears cropped there because she wouldn’t be able to fly. We live in the Chicago area, she got here two weeks ago and we’ve been trying to schedule an appointment for ear cropping but most vets around the area don’t do it anymore or they are backed up. We finally got her an appointment on September 27 at Archer vet, but we are afraid it would be too late for her since she’ll be turning 16 weeks and 6 days.
Help us decide! Thank you in advance!
Picture frame Wood Mammal Plant Flooring

·
Big Lil pup
7,019 Posts
Hi Atena. Welcome from the Pacific NW.

That's one handsome pup you've got there! Let us know what you decide. If you do get her ears cropped, greenkouki, the member who just answered your question has put together a terrific visual on how to post cropped ears. Having just wrapped up posting our son's pup, I can tell you that it is the best set of posting instructions out there. And the general opinion here on DT is that ears should be posted by the puppy's owners. There are a lot of really good reasons for this and virtually no downsides.

So, if you do get her ears cropped, return here and someone will direct you to that discussion. Plus you will always find somebody here to answer any questions.

John Lichtwardt
Portland OR

·
Premium Member
8,880 Posts
If the vet does say its ok, I would not do a long show crop. At 16 weeks, I think you might have better success with a medium crop that has a little more bell. Those crops are not my favorite, but a good cropper can do an attractive medium crop.

Reactions: melbrod

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hello everyone! We finally got her ears cropped! Can someone direct me to the posting discussion? Also, if you guys have any recommendations and tips, they are greatly appreciated.
Dog Comfort Curtain Textile Wood

·
Big Lil pup
7,019 Posts
Tips...
#1 tip: Give us the name of that beautiful puppy to go along with the photos

Seriously:
  • Read everything Mel gave you. The rule of thumb is to just "Leave the ears alone!"
  • Trim or grind down the nails. It will help with the affects of any attempts to scratch the ears.
  • Don't procrastinate. Read the posting tutorial carefully and get all of your supplies in advance. If you have any questions. Ask.
  • The after-crop taping (cup) the vet did looks great. If the cup starts to fall off or does fall off, don't worry, just remove it completely and let the ears hang until it's time to post
  • Don't even consider posting until the stitches are removed and the ears have completely healed.
  • When you start to post:
-A tired puppy is a cooperative puppy. Don't try and work with a wide awake, squirmy, hyped out pup
-Have all of your supplies at hand and prepared. Posts made, tape cut, treats at hand
-2 sets of hands are better than one. At least in the beginning, have someone help you. One person holds, calms and rewards the puppy, And the other person drives the puppy nuts. Uh... posts the ears I mean.
-Return here with any questions or concerns and someone will be here to assist you

Finally... This may seem daunting at first. Trust me, both you AND the puppy will get very used to this posting business very quickly. Be calm and patient. Be methodical. If you get anxious or annoyed, the puppy will pick up on it and act accordingly. Praise and reward your pup frequently and gently and after a few go arounds it will be old hat.

One last thing. Folks sometimes comment on the fact that this posting process, when done properly, accustoms the puppy to being handled without fear or anxiety. I have personally found this to be true. Even my vet believes this to be true. So make this positive experience por tu cachorro.

Have fun!

John Lichtwardt
Portland OR

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thank you for all your tips! Atena has her appointment for stitches removal on October first. Today (sept 26) the cup starter to fall off, she started scratching her ears and bleeding, so I decided to remove the cup completely, I used hydrogen peroxide and styptic powder to stop the bleeding.
8 more days to go for her stitching removal. Her ears look floppy and ugly lol. Thank you so much for all your tips, I would’ve been lost and concerned without your help.
Wood Working animal Fawn Dog breed Snout

Attachments

·
Big Lil pup
7,019 Posts
Her ears look great. Just resist the temptation to use hydrogen peroxide or alcohol to clean the ears. In fact resist the temptation to clean them at all. If you must, stick to tepid water and be very gentle. do not disturb the scabs as they form. Her ears will stop itching very soon and she won't even notice them.

John Lichtwardt
Portland OR

·
Premium Member
10,982 Posts
Her ears look great. Just resist the temptation to use hydrogen peroxide or alcohol to clean the ears. In fact resist the temptation to clean them at all. If you must, stick to tepid water and be very gentle. do not disturb the scabs as they form. Her ears will stop itching very soon and she won't even notice them.

John Lichtwardt
Portland OR
Ditto from for what John advised. And yes, her ears look just fine--well healed in fact considering how recent her crop was.

dobebug

1 - 10 of 10 Posts