Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking for an experienced Doberman owner to adopt my 2 year old spayed red female and give her a new home. She is very obdient to me but has contempt for my wife and 2 young children. She had a biting incident with my 7 year old son and she needs to find another home asap. I don't hold the dog totally at fault but she crossed the line. I would like to find her a home where she can be a better fit. I'm in Northern NJ.

·
sadder but wiser girl
9,688 Posts
Have you notified the breeder? A local Doberman Rescue group? Can you post photos, who her breeder is or where she comes from, and what exactly happened? Is she safe for the moment?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The dog was on her bed and my son pushed against the dogs stomach, she turned and bit his shoulder. I fault my son for the incident but I can't risk another at any cost.

·
sufferin succotash
9,168 Posts
I would also ask if you have any breeder support.

The challenge you'll have with going to a rescue is she has a bite history, which you'll need to fully disclose.

Have medical issues been ruled out by your vet?

·
sadder but wiser girl
9,688 Posts
You might contact Distinguished Doberman Rescue - we have some members who live in NJ, who may be able to guide you better - but I'm guessing you didn't get her through one of the better rescues, as they are VERY careful about placing dogs in homes with children without being very sure of the dog's child-proofness. But you're right - this was your son's fault, and not the dog's, and that's an important distinction. Hopefully one of the NJ-ites will chime in to help her.

·
Registered
2,726 Posts
If the dog didn't do any damage I would make sure the kids no to not touch the dog & leave it alone. My little brother did something similar when he was little. My dog snagged a tooth on him but didn't really bite him. It was the onlyt time my dog ever did it. My brother was 5 & pushed the dogs head around & hit snagged him on the rebound. He loved kids & never had another incident.
7 year olds are old enough to know to leave them alone.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Her name is Ruby and I posted a picture, I tried several other but they didn't take.
I would rather not get into rescue bashing. DDRI was not interested

·
Registered
508 Posts
I know this is a knee-jerk reaction based on witnessing your son get bitten by your dog, but please don't give up on her so quick. It sounds like your son invaded her space and may have been touching her in a way that made her nervous or uncomfortable. Remember, dogs don't have voices or hands, the only way to show us / tell us to stop what we are doing is through their mouth.

Is this the first time she has shown aggression towards your child or anyone else in the house?

I have experience with my child being bitten by one of our dogs. My son was 4 years old at the time and got mad at something I said to him, so he went into the other room where are boy Travis was sleeping and bit him in the butt. Travis turned around and clamped down on my son's head. As soon as he realized what he was biting he let go, but not before puncturing my sons scalp down to the bone and puncture his cheek right below his eye. My son was lucky that Travis didn't get him directly in the eye. I had to take my son to ER, who in turn contacted Animal control. AC came and took Travis and deemed him a "dangerous" dog and planned on putting him down even though we told them it as in self defence and they never had any other issues with our dogs before this incident. We fought with animal control for 45 days to get Travis back (during the whole process they kept threatning to call Child Protective services on us for raising our kids with "Dangerous" dogs.). The whole experience was frustrating and emotional charged, but we never once gave up on Travis, because we knew in our hearts he wasn't to blame!

·
Registered
4,230 Posts
I wasn't asking to "rescue bash", I was wondering where she came from. If shes a rescue and told you they believe she needs to be PTS due to temperament issues and you say she must leave your home immediately...
Odds are there is some contractual language requiring she be returned to their care rather than offered up on an Internet forum.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I'm with you Tater
Ruby is my third Doberman and I know she'll turn out fine just like the others I've had. My wife is the driving force for getting rid of her. Ruby had a rough start, we adopted her with a severe case of mange and all but bald. She has always strived to be the alpha of the house. She respects me but bullies our other mixed breed dog and just flat out won't obey my wife and runs over the kids like they don't exist. She will strive in a home where there is one dominant figure and no other distractions.

·
Registered
1,895 Posts
I'm with you Tater
Ruby is my third Doberman and I know she'll turn out fine just like the others I've had. My wife is the driving force for getting rid of her. Ruby had a rough start, we adopted her with a severe case of mange and all but bald. She has always strived to be the alpha of the house. She respects me but bullies our other mixed breed dog and just flat out won't obey my wife and runs over the kids like they don't exist. She will strive in a home where there is one dominant figure and no other distractions.
Best of luck to you in finding Ruby a new home and to Ruby.
Meanwhile, if your wife is willing, she should step up the training and the NILIF with Ruby and Ruby should get everything from your wife. Altho I am sure you love that Ruby is your dog, you should step back and see if your wife can be the main one in charge and be able to earn Ruby's respect. Of course, it all depends on your wife's desire to do so...and your support of her doing so.
Her present situation doesn't sound ideal but it could be salvaged.

As for your other dog, sometimes it takes up to 6 months for them to co-exist. My reactive female shelter dog w/lots of baggage finally learned to get along with my son's 6# min-pin and they are in the house together with no problem.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
The two dogs have been together for 17 months. They co-exist but Ruby doesn't miss a chance to let him know who's boss. He literally can't pick up a toy without her taking it away. All dogs and all people have faults. I'm willing to accept mine and my dog Ruby's. My wife will no longer bend on this issue and I want to do what's right for my dog.

As this post has evolved a family friend has emailed with a dobe owner who would like to meet Ruby.

·
Registered
2,656 Posts
Really Kevin?!? You might just be the man for the job.
Well, I'm considering, but I also have to really think about whether or not I can take on the responsibility right now... Not only me, but this would be alot of work for my wife as well... Any training/behavioral work that may or may not be needed is not a concern for me, it's the time commitment that has me concerned...

1 - 20 of 31 Posts