Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
282 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Some of you might remember me from a long time ago... about four years... if you look through my past "guinness" threads you'll probably recall that i rescued guinness and weeks after he was with me he attacked me... despite this I kept him and tried everything under the sun to work with him. Many of you gave me great advice and I thank you all. But now I must make a very hard decision and find a rescue for him...because he attacked me again where, this time I ended up in the hospital. I'm typing with one finger because he destroyed my right hand. he cannot ever be rehomed because he will attack again. He picks and chooses who he likes. His demeanor fluctuates between friendly to aloof to violent. i'm broken hearted about this and gave him a great home and love for four years. he's too broken for me to deal with anymore. I have two teen daughters and cannot risk their safety as well as mine. Most of all, despite all that happened, i don't want to see him dead. please can someone help me and guinness. I live in Manorville, NY. My phone number is:516-808-4007
email: [email protected]

·
u mad?
6,476 Posts
he cannot ever be rehomed because he will attack again. He picks and chooses who he likes. His demeanor fluctuates between friendly to aloof to violent
I'm sorry for what your going through and the idea of putting a pet down is always hard to deal with but based on what you've said, especially what I've quoted above, could you live with yourself if you rehomed him and he hurt somebody else? What if he went after them at the introduction, considering that he picks and chooses who he likes. I think that the best thing you could do for him is humanely putting him down.

·
Mighty One
1,734 Posts
Unfortunately, I am in agreement with the others; euthanasia. I had to make that choice myself with my dobe rescue, Rebel, back in 1999. I see you have 4 dogs right now (all male?) this is definitely a recipe for disaster. It's a tough decision but the right one. Guinness is not happy with his life and acting out in destructive ways. You're luck that he hasn't done more than hospitalize you. Time to give him peace.

Hang in there, Tracy and Mariah.

·
Registered
9,449 Posts
I'm so sorry to hear that. Sadly, I, too, agree with the others. I have had to make that decision to put down due to aggression. It is not easy. Sometimes it is just the only right thing to do though. All human safety must come first.

·
Heat Seeking Missile
522 Posts
I am sorry to hear that you were attacked again, and sorry for Guinness as well. I agree with all the above that the most humane thing you can do for this dog is to euthanize him. I know it's an easier thing to say than do but at this point I think this is the only choice.

Good luck in your decision.

Shaun

·
Registered
282 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
thank you everybody... i am truly heartbroken...this is a very hard thing to do. It was difficult to put Monaghan down but at least he was old and very sick. This is a fairly heathly 4 yr old dog.... a much harder decision. (btw my duke died two years ago,a bluehaze, i put him outside,drove my husband to the train and he was dead when i got back. he had just been to the vet so it was shocking. why God took that sweet dog Ill never know.) i will give this a lot of thought but it is probably the best thing for him. thank you guys.

·
Registered
355 Posts
I'm sorry you're going through this, you have gave so much to this dog, sometimes there is just no more you can do. I don't think there is any other safe option at this point other then to euthanasia Guinness. I pray this all works out, and you find peace.

·
Take my Dobe, please!
2,566 Posts
Reputable Dobe rescue groups are filled to capacity with friendly, affectionate Dobes of stable temperaments that they can't find homes for. FWIW, the three rescue groups I work with would not knowingly expose themselves to the legal liabilities Guinness's issues would expose them to.

I do not envy you your position. I have had to put down dogs that were unpredictably aggressive towards some humans. It's gut-wrenching but sometimes you must do what's in your community's best interests, even though it means a dog must die.

Try to keep in mind that you gave it your best effort and that Guinness is not happy living among people. You are not betraying Guinness, you are releasing him from his world of hurt.

·
Owned by Dobes since 1975
30,675 Posts
some dogs may bite because of a health issue, some dogs may bite because of a bad temperment, some just have 'demons' that we can not see or understand.

a huge part of being a loving, responsible owner is making the decision of when our dog is to leave us.

for whatever reason.

please do what is right for him, do not leave that responsibilty to someone else.

Hugz to you and yours.

·
Super Moderator
GOT's Kal-Drogo The Horseman (Drogo),TKI,TKN, CGC, 7 years; RIP Baron, Miley, Dax, Lonesome, Baron 1
18,345 Posts
I am so very sorry you are going through this but I think everyone else has expressed the right decision to make. My thoughts are with you. Please keep us updated and know you have done everything you could for Guinness but sometimes we just cannot save them.

·
Never Will Forget You
3,288 Posts
I know this is difficult for you, but it is important especially in this case to separate the issue at hand from emotion.

You know the history of this dog first hand. Because of this you must keep in mind that it will be wrong to put a rescue group in the position of taking in a dangerous dog. If somehow you were able to find a group willing to do so, how would you feel if someone else was attacked?

Please do the right thing, even if it is the hardest thing you have ever done you will be able to sleep at night knowing he is not a danger to anyone else.

My best to you.

·
Premium Member
8,764 Posts
The liability issues of rehoming a dog like that are not something you want to mess with. Euthing him is truly the only real option IMHO

·
Premium Member
5,377 Posts
If you truly care for him the kindest thing is to be with him when he goes - It will be hard but how could you live always wondering where is, how is he doing or leaving him to be put down by strangers. If you truly do love him and want what is best for him let him be loved and at peace when he goes to the bridge.

I know it is hard - I've been there myself It's been 2 years and 1 week since I said goodbye to my beautiful young healthy Casper and I still think of him everyday but I know he is at peace and free from his demons.

·
Nub Enthusiast
392 Posts
Something is wrong with your boy inside - whether it's actual pain, some sort of mental turmoil, what have you... something is bad for him.

No rescue will take a dog that is as dangerous as Guinness. He is probably going to end up miserable, hurt, and abandoned if you try to rehome him. The best thing you can do for yourself and for Guinness is to have him humanely euthanized. Then he can be happy and play freely, and no one will hurt anymore.

I know it feels like a hard decision, but it will be the best in the end.

Good luck to you, and get well soon.

·
Registered
282 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 · (Edited)
You're right he may be in physical pain as well. I do know he has a bad pancreas and a bone disease (i forget what its called...on the xray the marrow appears cloudy and light colored. Frequently he limps). Still despite all that...he's not right upstairs. I have been around large dogs all my life and never saw a dog lash out in almost a hypnotic zone and in such a vicious way and then act like nothing happened.

My old Monaghan bit my daughter when she was little because she was climbing and fell on him and hurt him. he was extremely remorseful; hid in the bedroom and was afraid to come out. he knew he messed up royally and from that day on they were very close to the day he died.

this experience with guinness is like nothing ive ever experienced.

and yes i will go with him to the vet when i do it...i couldnt send him off to die alone and unloved its the very least i can do.

1 - 20 of 49 Posts