Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I live in North Carolina and am wanting a companion dobe around the end of 2012 or earl 2013, this will give me time to fence in my yard and save more money, although if i found the right dog i could try and speed up the process! I have a three year old so tempermant is of the highest concern as is health (obviously). Thyroid, OFA or Penn hip, and vwd testing is great but i'd like other reassurance as well especially when it comes to cardio. Ive visited so many websites im beginng to get them confused with one another, Id like to visit the parents before i make my decision and am willing to drive to surrounding states possibly Georgia if necessary. Oh, and im most interested in a red and rust... any suggestions as to male or female being a better choice??? Any help will be wonddrful!

·
Registered
20 Posts
I don't know of any breeders in your area as I live in Illinois...but I am on the search for a breeder to as I have three children and my youngest is four, so like you, temperment is the most important thing next to health. In my experience with dogs, females tend to be the more docile of the two sexes. I am wanting a female red/rust too..good luck in your search and hopefully some experienced members on here will chime in and help you!

·
Registered
4,705 Posts
Reactions: Reen

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thank you all for your help and words of encouragement! I have looked at the breeders you listed, but as I said before I'm getting them all mixed up I suppose I need to take another look. The only thing I don't quite like about many of the breeders I'm finding that appear to be great is the idea that even companion dogs that are to be spayed or altered are considered co-ownership dogs. Maybe I'm just jealous or possessive and want my dog all to myself and my family lol! Thats not to say I wouldn't keep in contact with the breeder throughout the dog's life but I'm one who wants my dog to be mine :)

And thanks for the advice on the female vs. male! I was leaning toward a little girl anyway, my last dog was a female Brittany Spaniel and the sweetest thing!

·
Registered
2,355 Posts
Reen - First, welcome from Virginia!!

The above listed from Avianantics is a great place to start - alot of reputable breeders, around here anyway, will require the dog to be either co-owned, spayed, neutured or on a limited registration which protects them from the dog being bred and puppies being registered. They are trying to protect the bloodlines they have worked so hard to achieve.

If you need more suggestions, let us know and thanks for doing your homework and NOT supporting BYB!!

·
Registered
4,705 Posts
Thank you all for your help and words of encouragement! I have looked at the breeders you listed, but as I said before I'm getting them all mixed up I suppose I need to take another look. The only thing I don't quite like about many of the breeders I'm finding that appear to be great is the idea that even companion dogs that are to be spayed or altered are considered co-ownership dogs. Maybe I'm just jealous or possessive and want my dog all to myself and my family lol! Thats not to say I wouldn't keep in contact with the breeder throughout the dog's life but I'm one who wants my dog to be mine :)

And thanks for the advice on the female vs. male! I was leaning toward a little girl anyway, my last dog was a female Brittany Spaniel and the sweetest thing!
Generally, a pet puppy is sold on limited registration with spay/neuter requirements and a co-ownership does not enter into the picture. A show puppy will generally be sold on a co-ownership, unless you have a proven history in the show ring, references, etc..... I think for what you are looking for you won't have to deal with a co-ownership, from most breeders.

Reactions: bubsy and Reen

·
sufferin succotash
9,168 Posts
The dog would be yours. It would reside at your home, you would train him/her, provide care, etc.

Co-ownerships exist to protect the dog. Sometimes good dogs from good breeders fall into bad hands. We've witnessed this many times on DT. Of course, not saying this applies to you. Good, reputable breeders put their blood, sweat and tears into their breeding program and never want to see one of their dogs end up in a bad situation. :)

The only thing I don't quite like about many of the breeders I'm finding that appear to be great is the idea that even companion dogs that are to be spayed or altered are considered co-ownership dogs. Maybe I'm just jealous or possessive and want my dog all to myself and my family lol! Thats not to say I wouldn't keep in contact with the breeder throughout the dog's life but I'm one who wants my dog to be mine :)

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Oh yea I totally understand, people protecting the quality and reputation of their line. One of my closest friends breeds and shows very nice Great Danes, so I get to hear all about what goes into her line... and it is (if its done right) something to be very proud and protective of. I have no problem with limited registration and my dog will definitely be spayed or neutered, I don't need the responsibility of puppies! As for byb I work for at a vet clinic and see some of the products! With a breed like a Doberman I truly believe you have to go with the highest possible quality, otherwise you could end up in heart ache :(

·
Registered
9,449 Posts
Reactions: ShelianDobe

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I looked at ADAMAS and I have to say that is the website I am continuously going back to. I'll have to contact her and hopefully she'll be having a litter within the next year :)

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 · (Edited)
How sweet! I love the red... the black and rusts are nice too but I'm partial to red :). Thanks for the heads up! I'll check into Pamelot.

·
Registered
551 Posts
I've contacted many reputable breeders in my area and none of them require co-ownership if you are getting a pet quality puppy. They only require that you speuter. Limited registration does not mean that you must co-own.

Congrats on your future puppy, and thank you for not supporting unethical breeding practices!!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts