Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys!
My husband and I are looking to get our first Doberman puppy. Our Doberman will definitely compete in agility, and possibly also therapy, search and rescue, schutzhund, etc. We currently have a shih tzu named Lullaby who competes in agility and has her CGC. Once I can decrease my hours at work, Lullaby and I will start training for therapy work. When we got Lullaby, we didn't know anything about ethical breeding. I think she is from a BYB. If you've spent any time with a shih tzu, you'll probably know that training one takes a lot of patience, dedication, and creativity! They can really be stubborn little things! But now, Lullaby is a fast agility competitor with great drive. Anyway.....what I'm trying to say is, I'm totally willing and committed to putting in all the time & effort necessary to train our future Doberman. I don't necessarily need a whole lot of drive, because I'm used to building a dog's drive. What is important is that the dog be as healthy as possible, and mentally sound. If I end up with a beautiful show prospect, I am open to trying Conformation also.

I've been reading posts on this site, and researching many Doberman websites. I've gotten in touch with several breeders by email/phone. I'm currently on a waiting list with Trinity Dobermans (in Virginia) as well as Rhapsody Dobermans (in Texas). The DT reviews for Trinity seem negative, but they were posted 3 or 4 years ago. Does anyone have any updated info about Trinity? To me, it looks like she's doing a lot more health testing than she did in the past, but it looks like the pedigrees have too many dogs from her own line. Of course, I'm new to all of this so I wanted to check with y'all to see if that's right.
As for Rhapsody, it looks like she breeds with dogs from other lines besides her own. The health testing seems decent too. Are there any other breeders we should consider? If our perfect Doberman breeder is near the Dallas Texas area, that would be ideal, but I am willing to travel if needed.
Thanks so much for your help!
Kay

·
sufferin succotash
9,168 Posts
There are a few Rhapsody owners on DT so hopefully they will provide comments.

As far as Trinity...I don't consider an IntCh from the IABCA on the same level as an AKC championship. She charges $2000 for a pup. For that price or perhaps less, you can get a pup from AKC championship parents with many CH's in the pedigree. Not a breeder I would be interested in.

I'd check out some the of breeders on the DPCA referral list, but still do your due diligence: DPCA | The Doberman | Breeder Referral

·
Registered
4,246 Posts
Welcome to DT from Missouri - I would recommend sticking with a breeder who also competes with their dogs - you will have a much better chance of getting a dog that suites your venue.

You can visit the DPCA breeder referral section at DPCA.org for a list of breeders listed by state that would make it a little easier to find one closer to you. UDC also has a list of breeders by area. United Doberman Club of American.

·
Banned
7,471 Posts
I have personally spoken with Rhapsody and Merrimac and would recommend both. I went with a pup from Touchstone and have been extremely happy with my male who will be 3 this year. I know that Touchstone dobes excel at conformation and agility because my male's littermates do both. Im not sure if anyone here from Dallas does SchH with their dobes, but I know some Dallas people on a GSD forum who train in SchH. I can get the club name for you.

·
Got mutt?
13,821 Posts
Is the Trinity you are thinking about Trinity Bay Aussies and Dobermans? If so, personally, I would pass. I emailed back and forth a bit with them earlier this year, and never got a straight answer to most of my questions.

·
u mad?
6,476 Posts
Touchstone and Merrimac, who Zelda mentioned, are some other breeders that I would recommend that you look into. Thy produce some awesome dogs.

I have a Rhapsody doberman. He's about 16 months old and I couldn't be happier with my choice of breeder and my dog. He's a wonderful boy, great temperament, gorgeous (but I'm biased), and very capable.

·
sufferin succotash
9,168 Posts
This is the Trinity they are referring to: Home Page

Is the Trinity you are thinking about Trinity Bay Aussies and Dobermans? If so, personally, I would pass. I emailed back and forth a bit with them earlier this year, and never got a straight answer to most of my questions.

·
Super Moderator
21,894 Posts
If you are looking for a serious contender in agility, I would look for a breeder who's producing dogs that are very successful in that venue. I know ADAMAS produces good agility dogs - you could send a Private Message to member Adara - she bought her girl, Flirt, from ADAMAS to compete in agility. You can also take a look at the Top 20 Agility dogs on the DPCA to see what breeders are doing well there: DPCA | Top 20 | Agility

If you're more interested in doing that stuff "for fun," then any well bred dog should have what it takes to try out those sports. I've heard people say that it's kind of hard to do working sports like Schutzhund "for fun" because of the time it takes to participate. If you're serious about a working sport, I'd be looking at working lines breeders.

·
Got mutt?
13,821 Posts
Thanks, sam&macksmom. I wasn't aware of another Trinity. I just took a quick glance a their site, but yes, they look to be a much better breeder than the one I was thinking of.

I also thought the OP was only asking about breeders in TX.

·
sufferin succotash
9,168 Posts
:nicejob:
I'm currently on a waiting list with Trinity Dobermans (in Virginia) as well as Rhapsody Dobermans (in Texas).

Thanks, sam&macksmom. I wasn't aware of another Trinity. I just took a quick glance a their site, but yes, they look to be a much better breeder than the one I was thinking of.

I also thought the OP was only asking about breeders in TX.

·
Registered
2,355 Posts
Welcome from Virginia and good luck in your search - thanks for taking the time to research before you buy!

And being from Virginia myself...I have had NO personal experience with Trinity Dobermans but looking thru their website, personally I would pass...

·
Registered
2,048 Posts
Hi guys!
My husband and I are looking to get our first Doberman puppy. Our Doberman will definitely compete in agility, and possibly also therapy, search and rescue, schutzhund, etc. We currently have a shih tzu named Lullaby who competes in agility and has her CGC. Once I can decrease my hours at work, Lullaby and I will start training for therapy work. When we got Lullaby, we didn't know anything about ethical breeding. I think she is from a BYB. If you've spent any time with a shih tzu, you'll probably know that training one takes a lot of patience, dedication, and creativity! They can really be stubborn little things! But now, Lullaby is a fast agility competitor with great drive. Anyway.....what I'm trying to say is, I'm totally willing and committed to putting in all the time & effort necessary to train our future Doberman. I don't necessarily need a whole lot of drive, because I'm used to building a dog's drive. What is important is that the dog be as healthy as possible, and mentally sound. If I end up with a beautiful show prospect, I am open to trying Conformation also.

I've been reading posts on this site, and researching many Doberman websites. I've gotten in touch with several breeders by email/phone. I'm currently on a waiting list with Trinity Dobermans (in Virginia) as well as Rhapsody Dobermans (in Texas). The DT reviews for Trinity seem negative, but they were posted 3 or 4 years ago. Does anyone have any updated info about Trinity? To me, it looks like she's doing a lot more health testing than she did in the past, but it looks like the pedigrees have too many dogs from her own line. Of course, I'm new to all of this so I wanted to check with y'all to see if that's right.
As for Rhapsody, it looks like she breeds with dogs from other lines besides her own. The health testing seems decent too. Are there any other breeders we should consider? If our perfect Doberman breeder is near the Dallas Texas area, that would be ideal, but I am willing to travel if needed.
Thanks so much for your help!
Kay
I would pass on Trinity, but the other breeders mentioned here that are located in Texas as reputable. However, I think you need to evaluate your goals a little closer. If you are serious about schutzhund, agility, or search and rescue, you DO need a dog with a lot of drive. You cannot make a schutzhund dog out of one that doesn't have the spark already in him. The breeders you mention have quality dogs and are good people, but you may not get a dog with the drive it takes to do Schutzhund, S&R, or serious agility. Make sure you know what you really want. If you get a puppy that has already read the script, it will be a delight to train and a lot more fun to compete.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts