Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2,803 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, Chase used to be a loud mouth, meaning, he would bark at any scuffle, footstep, mumble, or movement in the house.

After two years of repetition, he doesn't bark as much, but when I leave for work, my roommates tell me he does bark when they walk around.

So, I've told them to ignore it, he will get used to it, doesn't work.

I've tried exercise before work.

I've tried the thunder shirt, and homeopathic remedies.

I've stuffed kongs, thrown kibble around the apartment.

I've broken up his day with a walker and someone to let him out to potty.

I play music or keep the tv on.

Recently I tried positive reinforcement, in case it was a nervous reaction. Every time someone walked over the apartment or went downstairs (stairs run to my apartment space) they would bring a small treat, ask him to sit and give it to him. BUT he has gotten it all wrong, he now BARKS for the treat.

What other methods are out there?

·
Registered
12,009 Posts
The only way to shut up some Dobes, is to have it in bed with a roommate...lol
- give one a few bucks daily ($$) and Chase problem solved ASAP

Just curious, how does the thunder shirt work ??

I had the problem, senior Amy will drive a babysitter nuts with her constant whining (bc they are there).
- and OK left alone (on leather couch & TV on), waiting for her Dad / found this out when I dropped Amy off at my sons place once and GF stayed with her

PS...if I was your roommate, I would insist your dobe jump into bed with me, wouldn't cost you a penny / & we would both get a good sleepy

·
Registered
2,803 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thunder shirts work, but I find the best results are with mild symptoms, not moderate or severe ones.

As for roommates cuddling, it's not set up that way in the house. They have their lives to live, my apartment is separate, I do pay them $ for walks and potty breaks, but it doesn't solve the problem of him barking at footsteps.

·
Got mutt?
13,839 Posts
Have you tried leaving a TV or radio on? Maybe that would cover up the sound of the downstairs people walking around.

Reactions: LuvMyDobes

·
Registered
2,803 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Have you tried leaving a TV or radio on? Maybe that would cover up the sound of the downstairs people walking around.
Yes, I leave music on all day, sometimes I'll keep the tv on. Nothing gets past his ears :rolleyesww:

·
Luv-The-Nub
1,058 Posts
Thanks to Meadowcat, I just read control unleashed :) You should read it if you have time, you may get a few ideas on how to solve your problem. I think that you should try similar approach to this behavior as you did to correct the other barking behavior? (if he is only barking when you are not around, maybe have someone else be in your position with you the one walking and making noise)

·
Registered
6,775 Posts
So, Chase used to be a loud mouth, meaning, he would bark at any scuffle, footstep, mumble, or movement in the house.

After two years of repetition, he doesn't bark as much, but when I leave for work, my roommates tell me he does bark when they walk around.

So, I've told them to ignore it, he will get used to it, doesn't work.

I've tried exercise before work.

I've tried the thunder shirt, and homeopathic remedies.

I've stuffed kongs, thrown kibble around the apartment.

I've broken up his day with a walker and someone to let him out to potty.

I play music or keep the tv on.

Recently I tried positive reinforcement, in case it was a nervous reaction. Every time someone walked over the apartment or went downstairs (stairs run to my apartment space) they would bring a small treat, ask him to sit and give it to him. BUT he has gotten it all wrong, he now BARKS for the treat.

What other methods are out there?
Ugh nothing I hate more than a barking dog! Saph used to bark a lot, but she is much more quiet now and anyone can tell her to be quiet in my family.
Do you have a command you use to make him stop, like enough or quiet or stop. I would just tell your upstairs neighbours to yell the command at him. I bet it will stop. If saph is barking I just say Saph! Enough! And its done, she is the easiest one to quiet down when all the other dogs are barking. So my suggestion is have them tell him to be quiet.

·
Owned by Dobes since 1975
30,675 Posts
Doggie Day care.

Quit working and stay home. :)

leave him as usual and go upstairs and walk around stomping, every time you hear him bark........back to your apartment and tell him to be quiet.

Have everyone stomp around until he is just bored with it all.

actually, i have no idea what might work. :)

just thinking out loud.

Hugz to Chase!

·
Alpha SheepDog
1,366 Posts
Ugh nothing I hate more than a barking dog! .
I coudlnt have said it myself....geeez.
When I was younger as a child, I had alot of exposure to smaller dogs and the first two thoughts I had, was 1st. I am getting a bigger smarter dog
and 2. One who understands quiet.

OP. I dont think your Chase, has gotten it all wrong but in some instances, did what you were showing him.

Obvisouly, I like the quiet command, but a dog is a dog and sometimes, they gotta be a dog and bark, be it: seeing another dog, announcing their presence in the yard, talking to you, someone walking by the yard, etc...(You really dont want to suppress some of that, or behaviour issues occur, just imo).

But establishing the "ENUF" command here is where it becomes magic.
Your not suppressing a natural behivour but you are sending the message. Ok, its enuf now.

My suggestion would be establishing a good "quiet and enuf" command.

·
Alpha SheepDog
1,366 Posts
Quit working and stay home. :)

leave him as usual and go upstairs and walk around stomping, every time you hear him bark........back to your apartment and tell him to be quiet.

!
It might possibly work, but I think by the time, they are back to the apt, Chase will be quiet and going in and saying "quiet" will reinforce to Chase , that "Hey, I am quiet". It will not be associated with the unwanted behaviour.
I always try to think like the dog, as i see it. LOL.
When I did Surveillance and lost a target, my gut instinct was think like the dirty dog, based on the intelligence I had of their personality profile. For me its common sense and some not.

Talking about dirty dogs, Its time to listen to some AC/DC... "Dirty Dogs, done dirt cheap"

Reactions: Darkevs

·
Owned by Dobes since 1975
30,675 Posts
:)

true on many accounts.

thinking like a dog is the best way to try and figure out how to get your wishes across to the dog.

That's enough, is definitely understood by my dogs too. :)

I remember with Magic, everytime a dog on TV barked, so would Magic, I started saying....it is just a TV dog, be quiet. :) and lo and behold he soon figured it out!

Now with my new nut dog, he barks everytime he hears a doorbell go off on TV, so again, I look him in the eye and say.it is just a TV doorbell, forget about it. :) And he is starting to stop barking when he hears one, instead he just looks at me when he hears it. And I say, yes, just a TV doorbell, good boy. :)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts