Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Keila came into her first heat about 2 weeks ago, She stopped bleeding 3 or 4 days ago. and I just noticed that she is spotting again. She is still swollen, but not as much as she was at the beginning. Is that normal or should I be worried. She is my first female dog so I dont know what to expect as far as her heat cycle goes. Im freaking out a little and not sure if I should be. Help! :confused:

·
Whippet Up
1,588 Posts
Keila came into her first heat about 2 weeks ago, She stopped bleeding 3 or 4 days ago. and I just noticed that she is spotting again. She is still swollen, but not as much as she was at the beginning. Is that normal or should I be worried. She is my first female dog so I dont know what to expect as far as her heat cycle goes. Im freaking out a little and not sure if I should be. Help! :confused:
Heat cycles last at least 3 weeks and can go longer. I bred a bitch once on day 25 of her heat cycle. I would make sure you keep her away form any intact males for no less than 30 days to be sure she cannot be bred.

Blood appears off and on throughout the cycle with the worst part at the beginning. From what you describe your dog is just fine and the heat cycle sounds normal.

Reactions: brw1982 and Adara

·
Owned by Dobes since 1975
30,675 Posts
sounds normal. :)

as she is now in or close to being in 'standing' heat, watch her like a hawk!

I have heard of a few female dogs when in standing heat tried to escape and go find a male. :)

Hugz to Keila!

·
Registered
2,778 Posts
If the swelling of her vulva has gone down a bit, it is possible that she is experiencing a split heat... what happens is that the bitch comes into season, then everything just sort of stalls, and usually she goes into a normal season sometime soon after (if I recall, my girl came in, stalled, came in again about a month later and had a normal season). Split heats are not that uncommon in young bitches who have not begun to cycle normally. A lot of vets who do not do much in the way of reproductive medicine may be unfamiliar with this.

Standing heat usually involves some discharge, even if it is less in quantity and much lighter in color. I would not expect less swelling when she's in standing heat.

If she exhibits any signs of illness (fever, lethargy, inappetance, unpleasant odor coming from the hind end, whatever), she should be seen on the very small off chance that she has developed a uterine infection.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Tank you all so much, that eases my worries. :) she is acting normal,just didnt know if they were supposed to stop the start again. Im still learning. thanks so much!

·
Owned by Dobes since 1975
30,675 Posts
it does sound normal.

split heats are very noticable..........the female starts her heat 'normally', but goes completely out of heat before she is in standing heat. Then comes into heat again, usually within 3 months or so.

·
Whippet Up
1,588 Posts
Tank you all so much, that eases my worries. :) she is acting normal,just didnt know if they were supposed to stop the start again. Im still learning. thanks so much!
More than likely you are not seeing much discharge because the bitch is beating you to it and cleaning herself. Keep an eye on her until the swelling of her vulva is way down and you know she is past at least 30 days.

Edit: That is 30 days from when you first saw discharge (blood)

Reactions: brw1982

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
If i was a dog I could handle the amout of time the bleeding process lasted, what I couldnt handle is the being stuck together after the "love making" OMG it just pains me to even see poor dogs locked up together. It cannot be enjoyable! ;)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts