Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner
1 - 20 of 236 Posts

·
Super Moderator
22,925 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Sigh. I'm very frustrated. Simon has had lick sores off and on since coming into rescue (starting in his foster home). They went away while he was on the heavy dose of doxycycline as part of his heartworm treatment. He had one lick sore on his side and another on the hock of his leg. Now he's created a new one on one toe. I'm pretty positive he's not licking because of allergies. He's generally not an anxious boy, but he's kind of OCD with licking sometimes.

The sore on his toe was not healing because he's licking it so much. We recently have put a toddler sock on his foot to keep him from licking it to try and let it heal.

Does anyone have any suggestions or resources for dealing with this? I obviously don't want him to have open wounds because of the licking. He tolerates wearing the sock for this particular wound, although he is quite intolerant of having his feet handled, including putting the sock on. Once it's on he just leaves it alone.

I'm pretty frustrated and stumped about what to do, and would really appreciate any input.

Reactions: Sherryh

·
sufferin succotash
9,168 Posts
OCD lickers are so hard to fix. It's very frustrating (friend's dog is an OCD licker). There's really no easy answer as different dogs response to different treatments.

These work for some, but not others. Nurtured Pets > Home

DogLeggs makes stuff for acral lick: http://www.dogleggs.com/granuloma

·
Super Moderator
22,925 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
And now I have to take back what I said about the sock. He pulled it off when we weren't watching. Then he took his vengeance on the boot that had been left out in the living room, tearing it to shreds.

·
sufferin succotash
9,168 Posts
:( lickers can be sneaky. Have you watch them like a hawk or they're at it.

And now I have to take back what I said about the sock. He pulled it off when we weren't watching. Then he took his vengeance on the boot that had been left out in the living room, tearing it to shreds.

·
Registered
4,230 Posts
You hit the nail on the head. It is a form of OCD, and the wound is a "licking granuloma". Google it, but don't take the literature too personally. My girl was my running training partner for two marathons (we did short run and sprint days together). She won her class in "rover runs", was never under exercised or bored.

Never could stop this, she was almost 11 when she died. It was MANAGEABLE, but not something I ever figured out how to stop.

·
Super Moderator
22,925 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
You hit the nail on the head. It is a form of OCD, and the wound is a "licking granuloma". Google it, but don't take the literature too personally. My girl was my running training partner for two marathons (we did short run and sprint days together). She won her class in "rover runs", was never under exercised or bored.

Never could stop this, she was almost 11 when she died. It was MANAGEABLE, but not something I ever figured out how to stop.
What did you do to manage it?

Reactions: Sherryh

·
Registered
4,230 Posts
Vet wrap soaked in bitter spray, til she didn't care and ate that. Note... Vet wrap can cut off circulation so ALWAYS with gauze underneath.

Before it's a raw sore, LIQUID BANDAID!!! If it's an open wound, you are too late. Tried it on myself, burns like hell on a raw wound. But if it's in the "no fur, skin exposed" stage, this worked great. This was the miracle, go to, solution.

Again, Jules was not under exercised or bored. I really do believe it was some form of OCD.

·
Registered
841 Posts
KC had one on his hind leg that would not heal. I was lucky because typically when I wrapped it, he left the wrap alone. I used Gold Bond Intensive Cream, gauze, and then zonas tape at the top and the bottom. However, as soon as I didn't apply the wrap (even though it appeared to be healed), he'd start the licking again.

It turned out that KC had very very low thyroid. It took 6 months to get the dosage adjusted right, but the licking stopped when the thyroid test came back right. We also added extra exercise, so maybe that had something to do with it getting resolved.

My vet told me that it's a bear to get them to stop licking, that I was very lucky with KC. I wish you the same luck....:)

·
Super Moderator
22,925 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
He just tested normal thyroid, but I'm probably going to retest in a few months.

This is a very frustrating problem. I don't think it's lack of exercise or boredom. It seems more compulsive than that. Maybe I'll try a calming collar or something for him. Sigh.

·
sandy2233
2,503 Posts
You might ask your vet about NUFLOR. It is a cattle antibiotic, but the vet clinic has had good results using it as a topical treatment. I don't know if a small animal practice would have it on hand but the clinic is a mixed practice so it has large animal drugs. Good luck in dealing with this. OCD behaviors aren't fun.

·
Premium Member
8,030 Posts
Old mutt years ago I cut out a cardboard collar taped it with Duck tape so it would not have any sharp edges Dusty the mutt wore it for three months finely forgot about the back leg he had been licking healed up no more problems.
I spray Buddy my Dobe now with Vetericyn have also used the Nurtured Pet strips they work well. Good Luck

·
Registered
1,151 Posts
Reactions: MeadowCat

·
Super Moderator
22,925 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Can the Nurtured Pets anti-lick strips be put on if there's an actual open wound? It's really tricky, because the spot Simon has going is on his toe, right where the nail enters the toe. It's not a very easy place to wrap.

I'm going to check our Petco for both the Vetericyn and the anti-lick strips. I'll have to see how Simon reacts to the cone. I'd prefer not to increase his anxiety with the cone if I don't have to, but we might not have a choice.

·
sufferin succotash
9,168 Posts
don't put the strip directly on the boo boo. Place it just above. You might have to cut the strip to fit into place. I would buy the size small strips since you're using it in an area that's small.

·
Banned
7,405 Posts
Oh yes, lick granuloma......how well do I know you...

At best we manage it, and at least keep her from getting to the veins. Seriously.

I use Vetericyn when I am in wrapping stage. I find that heavier cotton sport socks work best, she'll rip off a kid sock in seconds. I use leg wraps from Neo Paws when she is out in public.....she also has a boot as she did have a toe sore.

I have an entire box of tape, gauze, disinfectants, antiseptics, creams, steroids.

When I am home a lot, I can get some healing going on, but as soon as I have to go out to work, cone or no cone, everythings a shredded mess when I return. And then we start again.

And Swilly eats those no-lick strips like they are beef jerky. I have a bunch. If they work for you, I'll mail them to you gratis.

Best of luck with this. It did turn up as genetic in the study, and I saw visible evidence with Priscilla's relatives.

·
sufferin succotash
9,168 Posts
:( How's Swilly doing with her licking? Still bad?

Oh yes, lick granuloma......how well do I know you...

At best we manage it, and at least keep her from getting to the veins. Seriously.

I use Vetericyn when I am in wrapping stage. I find that heavier cotton sport socks work best, she'll rip off a kid sock in seconds. I use leg wraps from Neo Paws when she is out in public.....she also has a boot as she did have a toe sore.

I have an entire box of tape, gauze, disinfectants, antiseptics, creams, steroids.

When I am home a lot, I can get some healing going on, but as soon as I have to go out to work, cone or no cone, everythings a shredded mess when I return. And then we start again.

And Swilly eats those no-lick strips like they are beef jerky. I have a bunch. If they work for you, I'll mail them to you gratis.

Best of luck with this. It did turn up as genetic in the study, and I saw visible evidence with Priscilla's relatives.

·
Super Moderator
22,925 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Thanks for the great information, EmilyB. I'm thankful that Simon's sore is very small right now, but I don't want it to get any bigger. In the few hours we were gone this morning he licked open the scab that had started to form while he was in the boot. He did leave it alone overnight, but must have started after we left the house this morning.

I stopped using the boot because it was causing some baldness on his ankle. I may have to go back to the boot, perhaps with a sock underneath. Right now, I have cleaned the sore and used the Vetericyn (wow, expensive at Petco!) liberally on the wound. We then covered it with the sock and used vet wrap to "seal' the top of the sock so he can't pull it off (I was careful that it won't get too tight). I sprayed the outside of the sock/vet wrap with the no-lick bitter spray for additional discouragement. We're going to see how that goes for a while. I also bought a calming collar and put that on him, too.

I think what I find most discouraging is that when he was on his 30 days of doxy for the heartworm, his sores completely dried up and healed and he didn't bother them at all. So I just feel like, why is he licking now, if he didn't lick that whole time, you know?

Did you find any particular type of boot works best, EmilyB? The one I had on him was a little troubling, both because it was causing some baldness on the ankle and because I found that dirt was getting into the boot and thus into the wound, which is going to hurt the healing process for sure.

I don't know if we have something genetic going on or if it's anxiety. I have a pretty good guess about his breeder, and I know one dog there had some obsessive type water drinking. But, it could very well be anxiety, too. To be abandoned by the only family you've ever had at eight years old has to be pretty stressful.

1 - 20 of 236 Posts