Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone I have tried several different methods with my boys ears.
The last most recent method have been backer rods.
We tried tampon, Molefoam, and now backer rods.

Bane is 4 months old exactly

His ears stand up but have a funny shape from the backer rods.

What are some suggestions to fix it or is it ok?

·
Super Moderator
Hairy Dog, RIP Caesar, Katana, Kip, Capri
27,007 Posts
Some of that is the shape of the crop, but you should be able to get them straighter than that. Are you straightening and stiffening the backer rod with several layers of duct tape (sticky side in) before you back tape it? Are you twisting the backer rod into his ear as deeply as it will go and extending it past the tip of the ear?

it also looks like you are pulling the little flap on the inside edge of the ear forward and wrapping it around the post? You need to tape it back the way it would naturally fold.

You may have seen it, but here is our tutorial using the backer rod method.

Maybe post a picture or two of your posting job from the front and the side to see if we can give you some tips on posting.

·
joie de vivre
11,304 Posts
It's not uncommon to need to use multiple different methods at different times to get ears all the way through posting.

Melbrod has provided some good advice.

His crop looks a bit wide, and like the ears might be kind of cupping from how they wrap around the backer rod (although it might just kind of look like that due to camera angle). What size backer rod are you using? It might help to use a size larger in the backer rod.

There's another method that uses zip ties, which keep the ears flatter, IME. So that might be another option if the ears are kind of cupping in shape.

Reactions: melbrod

·
Premium Member
10,569 Posts
I think most of the look is because the top of the pinna (the ear leather) is not shaped enough. I don't think you need to use a bigger size of calking rod--that usually just makes it more difficult to get the post all the way down in the ear and even though when using calking rod the ear may look a little too round when it's first unposted it will smooth out somewhat after it's been out of the post for awhile.

Ditto for Melbrod's suggestion about the little flap that you are wrapping around the post--it should be allowed to fold back into it's normal position.

So just make the backing rod (calking rod) stiffer by a couple of wraps of duct tape before you start back taping it with the zonas tape--they'll stand straight but most of the look is cause by the failure of the cropper to properly shape the upper third of the ear.

dobebug

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Some of that is the shape of the crop, but you should be able to get them straighter than that. Are you straightening and stiffening the backer rod with several layers of duct tape (sticky side in) before you back tape it? Are you twisting the backer rod into his ear as deeply as it will go and extending it past the tip of the ear?

it also looks like you are pulling the little flap on the inside edge of the ear forward and wrapping it around the post? You need to tape it back the way it would naturally fold.

You may have seen it, but here is our tutorial using the backer rod method.

Maybe post a picture or two of your posting job from the front and the side to see if we can give you some tips on posting.
Wow you gave some great tips!!!
Yes he has a hematoma from it.
I've been letting it be open a free as it started to leak.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
It's not uncommon to need to use multiple different methods at different times to get ears all the way through posting.

Melbrod has provided some good advice.

His crop looks a bit wide, and like the ears might be kind of cupping from how they wrap around the backer rod (although it might just kind of look like that due to camera angle). What size backer rod are you using? It might help to use a size larger in the backer rod.

There's another method that uses zip ties, which keep the ears flatter, IME. So that might be another option if the ears are kind of cupping in shape.
We are using half inch backer rods with no zip tie supporters

·
Super Moderator
15,608 Posts
You will need to use bumpers on the posts to push out those pockets. I agree that the shape of the crop is not helping to get them straight but if you work out the pockets and stretch the ears up you will see an improvement in just a couple postings.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts