Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, Tazz generally atm has a rather boring diet, of mainly dried complete food, & a few times aweek he has some fresh meat added, Recently i have noticed alittle dandruff, & alittle 'eye gunk' when he wakes up etc,
Thinking both of these are probably caused from his diet..
I was wondering what you guys feed your dogs, & what you think works well But is also cost effective, & might help Tazz with these two problems.
Any ideas would be appreciated thanks :)

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
been abit on / off recently as i've encountered some problems, had a hectic time, (including a major knee operation which has had me limping for weeks)
So im not driving, & end up shopping at differant small shops for his food, Generally some form of 'complete' dry food, & i try & add an egg/bits of fish/chicken or lamb once or twice a week to make it more interesting & maybe give him abit of sumin extra, I dont know much about the values of food, I was thinking of putting him on half canned food, for his coat/skin..
But being in the UK i dont know of many choices, Canned food & mixer doesnt seem great...

·
Registered
166 Posts
If you are feeding him sub-par dry food, that's the problem. it is caut down with so much corn and other fillers. I'd put him on a premium kibble (I know your local, but do they have Pro Plan, etc. there?) and also give fresh foods, such as low fat cottage cheese, cheese, fresh meats, carrots, egg.......these add enzymes that are pretty much absent in dry foods due to processing. Enzymes are catalysts - they cause things to happen. They are much needed for proper digestion.

Good luck!

·
Registered
46 Posts
Hi RedDobie_Tazz,

I feed both my dogs..... 10 year old dobie and 2 year old Rhodesian Ridgeback
Primal and Honest Kitchen
www.primalpetfoods.com
www.thehonestkitchen.com

They love it. They both have gorgeous soft and shiney coats. Their eyes are bright and clean. The dobie actually had problems with loose stool most of his life and when I switched about 3 years ago to primarily raw it was resolved pretty much overnight.

HTH,

Leslie

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Ok thanks for your inputs, I havent seen 'proplan' that i can recall, but we may do in some places, i'll look into it, Im alittle sceptical about the other foods i could give him, i dont want to give him any 'human' foods which might not be very good for him, or might contain something that isnt..
Leslie - The two links you put up, do you feed Both to your dogs together?
or do you switch between? They sound like healthy foods, But it doesnt say they have them over here, I would rather not go through along process of trying to order them from the US!
Does Anyone know of any UK brands? or ones which are easily orderable here in the UK? Much appreciate your help & ideas / opinions so far Thanks :)

P.s. What do you mean by Sub-par dry food? - like complete dry foods? (E.g pedigree complete)

·
Registered
46 Posts
I feed both together.

Try doing a search on prepared raw dog food in the UK and see what you come up with.

Leslie

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Yeah is a good site, i was thinking of the 'raw meat/bone' diet.. still little sceptical about Tazz chewing up & swallowing bones though.. also doesnt seem he'd be getting alot to eat off bones with just scrap bits of meat on them.. i dunno im just not sure thats all, wouldnt know how much to give him or anything.. I think i need to see it first hand to really appreciate it, & see what & how much ppl give their dogs.. Anyone use this diet on a dobe similar size to Tazz? (hes abit over 90pounds) Cheers :) link was helpful tho!

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
looking further into it, i Could, buy him lamb necks & whole chickens daily (if the local butcher has them) as we have a butcher down the road..
isit really just that simple though? Give him a big meaty bone & thats it?...
it just doesnt really sound like enough.. & hes a big dog too!

·
Registered
437 Posts
Hi
We feed our two Naturediet which is fantastic. Both have great coats and skin and are doing so well on it. Its a wet food which I like as Abbie in particular won't touch dry foods, its completely natural with no additives and can be fed on its own or with a mixer. I use Laughing Dog mixer which Naturediet recommend as it is natural as well. I was consideriing feeding raw but I am so pleased with Naturediet that I wouldn't change now. Its not that expensive either which is a bonus!! :)

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
ok that sounds good, roughly how much is it & can you buy it in shops or isit like a mail order type food.. cause i havent seen it before,
Are you in the UK? (as your name implies) :p

·
Registered
437 Posts
Yep am in the UK, in the Midlands.
Most pet shops have Naturediet,pets at home stock it and a lot of the smaller shops have it too, but you can buy it direct from the company. Price varies from shop to shop but average is about 65p per portion ( 390g) I feed one of these a day , on the packet they recommend feeding 2 packs a day but my two would look like hippos if they ate that much. It works out cheaper if you buy it straight from the company though, we buy in bulk and the more you buy the cheaper it gets!
They have got a website www.naturediet.co.uk, loads of info on there.
My boy Diesel has been on it since we got him 10 months ago, he was skinny with an awful coat and really scurfy but he looks fab now:)

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Aw ok that sounds really good, i'll definatly be checking them out in alittle while! :) Thanks alot to everyone who posted - was very much appreciated!
Cheers 2dobesuk :) big help. Take care!

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I've had a good look on the website & on other sites regarding this naturediet food, & found out a pet store reasonably locally stocks it, Tazz will need over 3tins a day, (according to their eating table) It seems like alot, (as you only give your dogs the one tin! do you give any table scraps or mixer aswell?
or just purely the naturediet? £15 aweek nearly, Feeding costs are gonna go up alittle here! lol nearly what i spend feeding myself for a week that is!!
Will see anyway i shall try it, see how he goes on it & if it makes his dandruff go away & he if he seems healthier from it its all worth it :D
Thanks again! Tazz & Phil.

·
Still Here Despite Rumour
4,376 Posts
And if you want to feed dry food some of the best stuff is James Wellbeloved which is available in most pet stores here.

·
Registered
2,330 Posts
Premium kibble is the way to go, anything less and Java is one flakey girl. She gets 1/2 cup kibble mixed in w/ brown rice, boiled/nuked carrots (bit of bite left, not mushy), egg or salmon or boiled chicken, sweet potato (nuked or baked), a bit of plain yogurt added in the am. A real dog's breakfast! Total amount of food is 2 cups, twice a day. Will also give her a Vitamin E capsule twice a week. Any and all meat is cooked, never raw.

·
Registered
437 Posts
I feed a small amount of mixer with the naturediet, a big bag(15kg) of laughing dog mixer will last my 2 about two months and its about 10 quid a bag. I think Naturediets reecommendation for feeding amounts is a bit generous to be honest, Diesel eats one pack a day with a bit of mixer and has gone up from 27 kilos when we got him, to 40 kilos now, thats in 10 months and we have now cut right back on the mixer. A friend of mine has a great big GSD and she only has 1 pack a day and looks good on it. I guess it depends on the dog but I can't see a dobe needing 3 packs. Abbie has actually gone onto the lite variety as she's doing a little too well!!! :)

1 - 18 of 18 Posts