Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Mo's Mom
904 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A friend of mine contacted me and said that she is interested in getting a dobe pup, but would like more information... I was wondering if you guys would suggest some all telling information sites? I did my reading over two years, and have read so many things; I do not really have ONE page or even 2 or 3 with all the reading... I was wondering if you guys could suggest some pages for someone who is just starting to look into the breed?

Thank you!

·
u mad?
6,476 Posts
I used this forum, a few other doberman specific forums, some general dog forums, and doggy blogs (mostly those written by doberman owners).

Edit: Of course, I no longer have any of those bookmarks >.>

·
Paralibrarian
6,168 Posts
In addition to Doberman Talk ( :D ) and the DPCA home page, on the web I would recommend the University of Prince Edward Island Doberman page: doberman. Slightly intimidating, but it lists all the disorders found in the breed. I've looked at it before, and clicking through, it seems that most of the links work (just not the Doberman FAQ at the bottom that takes you to a nonexistent geocities page).

ETA: Also, the American Doberman Pinscher Educational Foundation

·
Sea Hag
12,933 Posts
A book or publication on the breed can't hurt.
Yes, but you have to be really careful about doberman books. MOST are really just generic "dog" books, with only a small section that's breed specific and they're written by people who've never owned a doberman.

Probably the best book for newbies is DOBERMAN PINSCHER: BRAINS AND BEAUTY, written by Rod Humphries and Joanna Walker..both people being long term, successful doberman breeders. I believe this book is still in print.

Joanna Walker wrote a number of other books in the past, any of which are good reads. You can usually find them on amazon.com, abebooks, and other online used book outlets.

·
_______
5,102 Posts
A book or publication on the breed can't hurt.
There is one really awful book on the shelves of pet store chains right now. I can't think of the name of it but there was a thread about it. It was the one w/the person appearing to prepare to cut a concious puppy's ears w/scissors among other things, which if they can't get that part right what's the point.

I've seen it @both Petsmart & Petsupplies Plus.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts