Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I rescued a 4 year old female last year and she is absolutely wonderful. She does great with her commands and plays well with my chihuahua. My only problem is her whining! She whines all the time for no reason. Or I should say because she wants attention. We run twice a day and we do a lot of hiking. She is very active and has plenty of bones to keep her occupied. She still whines. I ignore her like everyone says but she'll whine for hours. She doesn't stop. I want to get to a point where she can just lay down and be fine. I just don't know how to go about doing that. Any help is appreciative. Or even any recmmended trainers in the Columbus area.

·
Registered
2,803 Posts
Has she had a full blood panel done? Urinalysis? How is her poop? I'm looking at this from a medical point first, behavioral next. Maybe she is in constant discomfort from a URI, or maybe hypothyroidism.

Some dogs just whine, I know mine does, pretty much whenever I sit my butt down to relax, but he does give in a chills on his bed.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yes she has. She is very healthy. She has been doing this for a year since I got her. And yes she is the same way it sounds. As soon as I sit down is when she starts. But when we go to bed she's fine. It seems it's a Doberman thing. But I would really like to train her to relax.

·
Registered
12,009 Posts
My Amy is +11 years old, she still whines at times...kind of more an evening thing.
Dad on one laptop, Mom on the other laptop...and both watching TV...she begs for frequent love and attention.

I will ask her to fetch me me a toy stuffy, or walk over to her, and give her a pat on the head or a belly rub.
Just helps a little, but when she is not sleeping...she gets bored sometimes and always want the human attention.
- her whine comes and goes...we just got use to it, as much as can be possible...and try and pay slightly more attention
- sometimes its just having an extra conversation with her, works for a period
- Amy get a marrow bone , once in a while, placed on a mat...by my feet / she likes to touch me, in some small way...makes her happy & content
Maybe you could train it out / not worth my effort though, Amy would not be an easy sell...and maybe that fault is what I like about dobes most:
- they need us / as much as we need them

·
Registered
9 Posts
Ive had 2 females and 1 male and found the girls are the whingers lol. I wont tell my husband that though because I know he will have a smartarse comment ;-)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts