Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2,273 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am trying to buy a life jacket for Rowan since we are going to be doing some boating this summer. I really like the Ruffwear ones, but I have questions about the sizing.

Right now Rowan's chest is about 34" around, he is almost 14 months. How much more will his chest grow?

The sizes they have are: L (32-36) or XL (34-42)

Everything says if between sizes go with the smaller size, but I want to account for any filling out he may still do. Would it be reasonable to think he will still grow more than 2 more inches in his chest?

·
Registered
2,273 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Anyone? :/

·
Registered
6,834 Posts
I can't speak to the specific brand or from a lot of chest dropping experience, but dropping a whole 2 inches given his age doesn't seem likely, he will probly drop more, but 2 inches seems like a lot for where he is age wise.

Hope that helped, I would get the large. He will still have play but doubt he will get over 36 at this point

Reactions: SpecialK

·
Registered
382 Posts
I would order the large, and if you think it's too snug return it for the xl. I've never bought a doggy life jacket but based on my coat buying experience, ones that fit in the chest are usually loose in the body. I feel like the xl might be huge on him.

How much boating are you planning to do, and on how big of water? If you're just going on smaller lakes I'd probably just wait to buy one until next summer so you know his size for sure. Or look for a used one for now.

·
Registered
2,273 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the replies. We are not going to do a TON of boating necessarily, but Rowan is not a very good swimmer...yet at least. I'm hoping he gets better at it, but the times we went to a dog park swimming in their pond his butt sank and he was nose up...not very successful!

We will be boating on a large chain of lakes and given his current swimming skills I prefer to have a jacket now. I'm also of the mindset buy right, buy once. If I need to I will buy cheaper, but I'd prefer to just get the nicer one that he can wear forever. I was just afraid that 2" of growth room might not be enough since he is still pretty narrow (he's about 29" tall)...but I don't know what is reasonable to expect for growth after his age.

Reactions: Dakotadobe

·
Registered
6,834 Posts
Is there anywhere that has them in person so you can see how much space there would be in each to grow with? Like dakotadobe said i think if you saw the xl on him it would drown him and he probably wouldnt grow into it enough.

I always try and find any clothing in person to try it on so i know it will fit right until I figure out for sure what size they always tend to be.

Reactions: SpecialK

·
Registered
2,273 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
That's a good idea...I think they sell the ruff wear at REI, I could check that out. I just find that most of the stores always carry the Small sizes and nothing big enough for the big dobe chest. I have also read a lot of reviews that this brand fits them well.

·
Registered
382 Posts
Good luck with the search! Let us know what you end up getting please, I'd like to get one for Dakota eventually. The past few summers we've been too busy to do much boating but I'm hoping to get into it more now that I'm done school.

·
Registered
2,273 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I would definitely try one on him before you make a decision. If you print out the deal you found for it online maybe a local store will match it too. I've had that happen before.
Oh thats a good idea, I didn't even think to do that. Thanks!

·
Registered
2,273 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Good luck with the search! Let us know what you end up getting please, I'd like to get one for Dakota eventually. The past few summers we've been too busy to do much boating but I'm hoping to get into it more now that I'm done school.
Thanks, I will do that :)

Reactions: Dakotadobe
1 - 11 of 11 Posts