Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, I've been feeding my beautiful baby girl Eukanuba for the past 7 or 8 months that i've had her (I know, I know, I really should have done more research before now!). She has a beautiful coat and she's healthy, energetic, and happy! But, I've been researching for a good dog food for when I switch her over to an adult food, and I've heard nothing but negative things about Eukanuba, and have decided that now is the time to switch. But, now that I have really started searching harder, I've realized just how over my head I really am! So I'm coming here begging for help and advice. I would really love to just cook for her instead of purchasing a store bought brand, but I truly can not cook to save my life, and my job keeps me pretty busy, so I really don't have time to do that. (I'm a police officer, so I work pretty hectic hours, which switches all the time. In addition to that statement, I spend every moment I have with my girl, and when I'm not there, she stays with my elderly grandmother, who loves her to death and really appreciates the protection that comes with Athena!)

I've been looking at the dogfoodanalysis.com website, and I've found some interesting options on there, but I've been unsuccessful in locating any stores around my area that sell any.

I live about 30-45 minutes north of Raleigh, NC. So if anybody is from/used to be from this area, and knows of a good place to buy great dogfood, please let me know!!!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Also, I'm working with a police officer's salary. So although I do want the best for my dog, and I am willing to fork out the big bucks to get it, I would prefer not to break the bank and shed any tears in the check out line!

·
Registered
1,929 Posts
Both of my dobes do great on Pro Plan. I feed the one for sensitive stomachs/skin. I've tried many of the higher end foods, including some grain free ones, and I always go back to Pro Plan, so that's what I'll continue feeding, because it is what they do well on. Just because a food gets good ratings on an analysis web site doesn't mean any particular dog will do well on that food. You must feed what your girl does well on, whether it is Eukanuba, or something else. If it ain't broke, don't fix it. Hope this helps you some.

·
Back Off
1,721 Posts
What kind of price range are you looking for? And if she is doing fine now, are you wanting to go grain free or are grains ok?

For a dog with no grain sensitivities or allergies, my favorite is Canidae ALS. You can buy a huge 44lb bag which is AWESOME for a dog that goes through a lot of food. It also has many protein sources and pretty decent calorie content. It does have grains but no fillers, corn, by products, etc.

For grain free, my favorite (and many on here) is Acana. It's not as pricey as orijen, but still very high quality. The 4 main types are also grain free which is a bonus. Their meat sources are local and freshly shipping, no freezing ever! All of the ingredients are natural and basically to human standard. It is a bit more pricey than the canidae, but if you buy through places like mrchewy.com, it is $63 for a 30lb bag, free shipping, no tax, etc. My 15lb bag of acana lasts close to a month, whereas a 30lb bag of another food (such as earthborn, etc) will only last me a couple days longer.

For your pup, she would probably only go through a 15lb bag a month. (My boy is oversized so eats quite a bit).

Good luck on your decision! And that website is a great place to check them out.

·
Registered
687 Posts
Both of my dobes do great on Pro Plan. I feed the one for sensitive stomachs/skin. I've tried many of the higher end foods, including some grain free ones, and I always go back to Pro Plan, so that's what I'll continue feeding, because it is what they do well on. Just because a food gets good ratings on an analysis web site doesn't mean any particular dog will do well on that food. You must feed what your girl does well on, whether it is Eukanuba, or something else. If it ain't broke, don't fix it. Hope this helps you some.
IMHO this is the best advice on food that I have seen in some time. Stay with what works. I would stick with an adult Eukanuba formula with the same protein source that she's is eating now. Consider yourself lucky.

·
Registered
16,037 Posts
I have several sites below in my signature that will help you. Be sure to study the How to Choose a Dog Food to learn how to read and understand df ingredient lists, what ingredients to avoid and what ingredients are desirable. The Dog Food Analysis site is my favorite as it gives indepth reviews and is very easy to navigate. It also has store finder links for each food. You dont really want to get a size your dog cant finish in close to 3 weeks as the vitamins start to deteriorate when exposed to air. If you store your food in a container, store it in the bag. Dont dump the food into the container as that exposes ALL the kibble to air at once. I prefer shipping as orders over $49 are shipped free and no sales tax. My sales tax is 9.75 so I save from $5 to $8.50 per bag, plus in 2 to 3 days the food is at my doorstep. You will have to sign up for monthly delivery for the free ship, but you can cancel anytime, change delivery dates or brand you want shipped. Continued...

·
Registered
16,037 Posts
Part 2. Firrt time customers often get free shipping and prices can vary day to day, so you can float around companies for a while. Be sure to watch for discounts, promo codes and apply them. I use Pet F ood Direct, National Pharmacy?, K9 Nutrition, Mr Chewy. ///// I belong to the school of thought that rotating foods is better for your dogs nutrition wise, helps prevent sensitive stomachs, food sensitivities and allergies. You just have to do some reading, education and decide for yourself what train of thought you want to follow. I do know I thought my old girl looked good till I upgraded her food from a grocery Purina and was amazed a the improvement in her coat after 2 bags of the new food. You have to feed 2 bags to see a differdnce...need the time. I rotate Parker between Natures Variety Instinct and Prairie lines, Acana, and Orijen. I like both grainfree and occasional food w/grain to get the protein source. My Parker has allergies, so am limited. Read sites in signature.

·
Registered
16,037 Posts
Sorry, when I started to list the companies I order from my mind suddenly went blank, so I got a couple half wrong. I order from Natural K9, National Pet Food Pharmacy and the others are correct.

·
Registered
726 Posts
Cheaper but quality foods I've fed & recommend are Canidae and Innova. I've heard many have luck with Pro Plan though!

·
Banned
7,471 Posts
Generally speaking, you want to avoid kibble with corn, corn gluten, wheat, soy, and by-products. Those ingredients make up the basics of the basics when it comes to dog food.

We grew up feeding our dogs moist n meaty and pedigree. When you know better you do better. Dog food companies matter to me and I stopped feeding wellness, EVO, and Canidae since they were bought out by major corporations make things like your toothpaste and glue.

I've personally been very happy with Acana made by Champion pet foods.
Champion Petfoods | Home

I assure you I make a lot less then you but it matters to me what goes into my dogs. There are a lot of benefits to feeding a nutrient rich kibble. For example, my 70# GSD female maintains a healthy weight on just 2 cups of Acana a day. A lot of times people will overfeed their dogs on a quality kibble and that will cause them to have diarrhea/soft stools. It's weird, but you can greatly cut back on the portions with good food.

The fastest way to create a picky eater is to try a new food and then bring it right back and try something else if the dog doesn't eat it. In their head they are thinking "oooh I wonder what mom/dad will being home next if I wait it out!" my dogs eat what I give them or they don't eat. I've never had a picky eater, they learn quick :)

·
Got mutt?
13,842 Posts
Well, I've had some interesting reactions to changing my dogs' food. I tried one food, a Whole Dog Journal approved food, that had scored high on other food sites, and came highly recommended. Within two weeks, Lucky had acute pancreatits, and Ilka looked looked like she had been in a snowstorm with horrible dry, flaky skin. Okay, back to BilJac, on which they had both been doing fine, and back to a healthy Rat Terrier, and a mutt with better skin. I've tried several different brands since then, none of which caused such an extreme reaction

Recently, I decided to try Innova. It has a higher calorie content than the brand I was feeding, so I did cut back the amount I fed. Horrible loose stools in both dogs. Cut back some more, stools better, but still got runny halfway through a bowel movement. Okay, cut back still more. No more loose stools, but now both dogs' ribs are starting to show. Also, Ilka's coat isn't as shiny. We are just starting a bag of Blue, which they both like, and have done pretty well on in the past.

I still like the BilJac, and will probably go back to that eventually. The fact that it turns into mush when its wet, instead of swelling like most kibbles, is a plus for my dogs, who inhale their food. I wish more dry foods were like that.

Eventually, it comes down to "what does your dog do well on?" As you can see, most expensive, highly recommended food is worthless if your dog doesn't tolerate it.

Reactions: natdobe

·
Registered
1,544 Posts
I also prefer Champion pet foods over most brands of kibble

But if you are limiting yourself to petco/petsmart I would suggest

Grain Free: Nature's Variety Instinct, Wellness Core, Blue Buffalo Wilderness,
Non-Grain Free: Sold Gold, Wellness, Blue Buffalo, Innova, By Nature, Castor & Pollux
they might have others I dont know about

The Dog Food Project - Ingredients to avoid

·
Registered
16,037 Posts
I fed Parker too much london broil beef and he got pancreatitis. Should I blame the beef? /////// The higher quality kibbles do not swell up markedly with the addition of water. The cheaper fiber filled kibbles, on the other hand, will swell to at least twice their size./////// The article that began my interest in rotating foods is the How to Choose a Good Dog Food listed below in my signature. Then reading more in The Whole Dog Journal, Dr Karen Becker DVM site, etc assured me I had made the correct decision for my boy. Anytime you switch foods, you should start out feeding 1/4 new to 3/4 old for 3 days, then 1/2 new to 1/2 old for 3 days, next 3/4 new to 1/4 old for 3 days to all the new food. You also should check calories as your higher quality nutrient dense foods are going to have more fat/calories, so you need to feed less. I have fed Parker many foods and barring allergy reactions of foot licking, he did well on all but TOTW fish. Not all dogs will do well on the same food.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Ok, I've been feeding my beautiful baby girl Eukanuba for the past 7 or 8 months that i've had her (I know, I know, I really should have done more research before now!). She has a beautiful coat and she's healthy, energetic, and happy! But, I've been researching for a good dog food for when I switch her over to an adult food, and I've heard nothing but negative things about Eukanuba, and have decided that now is the time to switch. But, now that I have really started searching harder, I've realized just how over my head I really am! So I'm coming here begging for help and advice. I would really love to just cook for her instead of purchasing a store bought brand, but I truly can not cook to save my life, and my job keeps me pretty busy, so I really don't have time to do that. (I'm a police officer, so I work pretty hectic hours, which switches all the time. In addition to that statement, I spend every moment I have with my girl, and when I'm not there, she stays with my elderly grandmother, who loves her to death and really appreciates the protection that comes with Athena!)

I've been looking at the dogfoodanalysis.com website, and I've found some interesting options on there, but I've been unsuccessful in locating any stores around my area that sell any.

I live about 30-45 minutes north of Raleigh, NC. So if anybody is from/used to be from this area, and knows of a good place to buy great dogfood, please let me know!!!
I have been feeding my puppy eukanuba since he came home with me because that's what the people were feeding him before I got him. What is wrong with it? This makes me concerned because I have been kinda worried about my little Maverick not growing. He is almost 10 weeks and is only 10lbs. Maybe it is the food?

·
Collar Connoisseur
908 Posts
I've recently moved my puppy over to Orijen 6 Fish and I don't have to feed him as much and his poops are much smaller. Before, he was on TOTW Pacific and he did well on that too but he ate much more and his poops were huge!
I also second that if your dog is doing well on Eukanuba then stick to it ;)

·
Registered
1,544 Posts
I have been feeding my puppy eukanuba since he came home with me because that's what the people were feeding him before I got him. What is wrong with it? This makes me concerned because I have been kinda worried about my little Maverick not growing. He is almost 10 weeks and is only 10lbs. Maybe it is the food?
Read the links in LindaH's signature

·
Got mutt?
13,842 Posts
Well, I'm sure it was just coincidence, then, that Lucky, who has eaten food ranging from Pedigree to TOTW in his 11 years, never got pancreatits on any of them. Always went from one food right to the other with no problems, not even an upset tummy. Maybe my vet was wrong about both dogs' problems being from the food, also. Who knows? Maybe I just imagined the whole thing,including the night Lucky spent in the hospital.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
The only negative effect that I have found from Eukanuba is that my dog's skin is kind of flakey, and she does have large stools also. My dog is a very healthy weight for her age, she's one year old and is pushing somewhere around the 65 - 70 range. There's nothing really wrong with the food, I've just recently done some research and found out that it's just not a quality dog food at all. Too many fillers, and the ingredients aren't really clear about how much meat is actually in it. It has chicken as the first ingredient, but is that weighted before or after it is dehydrated. I've decided to go with Taste Of The Wild, as this is the highest quality kibble I can find that is closest to me. If this doesn't work I will probably go with Innova, or Blue Buffale/Blue Wilderness. All three of those have pretty high ratings, and they're only about $10.00 more per bag. I'll definitely post on here and let you know how it goes!

Thanks to everybody else for all of your input! You've definitely helped make this decision a lot easier!

1 - 20 of 27 Posts