Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
460 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For those of you with cats, what type of cat litter do you use?

Reason I ask is I'm having a little(ok big...) problem w/one of my cats. :help_up_2 Sampson, the picky Persian is such a brat when it comes to litter. He hates regular clay litter since it gets stuck in the fur on his feet and he hates even more when I clean them. He'll bite, scratch, scream and kick his legs til I let him go. It's not a fun experience for either of us so I switched the cats over to Swheat Scoop, which is a wheat based litter.

The good news is, the litter doesn't stick to his feet. The bad news is he hates it. He hates it so much, he won't poop in it. Now I'm not 100% sure that it's the litter that's bothering him but I've ruled out everything else from a possible health problem to any change in the enviroment. He happily used the box for a month or so after I changed litters but now he won't use it at all to defecate. I can't think of what else it would be since the only thing different is the litter. I haven't moved the box, I clean it twice a day, I don't use any harsh cleaners when I scrub out the box, it's not covered, the box is in a quiet out of the way place.

I'm running out of ideas if someone has any suggestions I'd be very appreciative. I've also tried shredded newspaper and pine pellets as litter and he hates them as well. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
6,589 Posts
Try "Yesterday's News" It is a heavier pelleted litter made from recycled papers. But it isn't shedded or have the piney scent so it may work. It's the kind the vets use after declaws so they aren't getting little litter pieces one their incisions. Pet stores may have it, or pick up a bag from your vet.

Next advice, give your spoiled cat a boot in the *SS!! Tell him you feed him and provide a roof over his head, the least he can do is crap in the box!

I use scoop away in a Litter Maid automatic box. I have three cats and they get picky if there is waste left behind from one cat when they want to go. Have to keep everyone happy you know....

·
Registered
4,169 Posts
I know you said he hates it when you clean his feet but maybe it would help if you were to trim the hair under his pads. I did that with both of my persians because I hated cleaning the tracked litter all the the time. I'm sure a groomer could help you out with this... It's worth a try at least :)

·
Registered
1,327 Posts
I use fresh step multi cat. The cats like it a lot. Have you taken kitty in to the vet? If so you can try feliway (sp?) I believe it is medication or a plug it which will relieve stress on the kitty. Also go and get some Natures Miracle feline kind. Put it in the place where the kitty poops, leave it there for five minutes then soak it up. It takes the scent out of the carpet, and pad. It works great!! I use it every time I clean the carpets, since I have 2 cats that like to puke up hair balls almost every week. :( Good luck, and keep us updated.

·
Registered
323 Posts
This may sound stupid but how large is your cat in comparison to the litter pan? My Main Coon out grew the Litter Maid box, her butt was against the back of it and she finally quit using it. I had to get an underbed storage box(plastic) from The Container Store and she has no more issues. Good Luck, cats are hard to figure out.

·
Registered
460 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
This may sound stupid but how large is your cat in comparison to the litter pan?
Doesn't sound stupid at all. I've seen large cats try and cram themselves into a tiny litter pan only to miss their mark by a few inches but not Sampson. He has a large litter pan and he's a fairly small cat, only 9 pounds.

Have you taken kitty in to the vet?
Yep, he's been to the vet. I had a full exam done along with a stool check just to make sure he wasn't trying to tell me something. You know, I never thought about the Feliway though. We use it a lot at work to *try* and calm cats done while at the vet so I could always take a bottle home and see it that'll work. It won't hurt.

I know you said he hates it when you clean his feet but maybe it would help if you were to trim the hair under his pads
TraceyJo, I wish I could! I shave him myself because he dispises being combed and I have a hard enough time shaving his belly and tail since he pitches such a wingding so I would not be able to get his paws without walking away from a bloody battle. I adopted him at two years old and I don't know if his previous owner didn't take the time to get him used to grooming as a kitten or what but he turns into a beast when it's groom time. Were your Persians as bad about grooming?

Try "Yesterday's News" It is a heavier pelleted litter made from recycled papers. But it isn't shedded or have the piney scent so it may work. It's the kind the vets use after declaws so they aren't getting little litter pieces one their incisions. Pet stores may have it, or pick up a bag from your vet.
Oh and to think I got a free sample bag of Yesterday's News from work before this started and I donated it to a cat shelter because I had no use for it. Think I could get it back? lol

Next advice, give your spoiled cat a boot in the *SS!! Tell him you feed him and provide a roof over his head, the least he can do is crap in the box!
Brian has already suggested that and believe me if he wasn't so darn cute I would! :spanka:

Hey, thanks so much for all your suggestions! They're all very good but I'm starting to think he needs a kitty shrink. :screama:

·
Banned
375 Posts
i spent two hundred dollars on an electric litter box that works wonders. and i use arm and hammer for multi cats... it doesnt stink does stick to the fur alittle but it is good at hold the odors... i have a very small cat probably less that two pounds... and she throws litter even though i have this one closed completely across the room but bigger may be better and i used yesterdays news at the clinic and all the cats love it because it doesnt track like regular litter... hmm hope that helps hugs

·
Registered
460 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
i spent two hundred dollars on an electric litter box that works wonders.
Ooooh, I'd love to get one of those. It'd make my life so much easier. I'm afraid if I got one, my cat Fallon would get spooked if she ever heard it run and I'd have two cats who wouldn't use the box. Poor little girl is so skittish about new things and strange noises, she'd probably hide under the bed for three years. :eek11:

·
Registered
6,589 Posts
Dobe_Paws said:
Ooooh, I'd love to get one of those. It'd make my life so much easier. I'm afraid if I got one, my cat Fallon would get spooked if she ever heard it run and I'd have two cats who wouldn't use the box. Poor little girl is so skittish about new things and strange noises, she'd probably hide under the bed for three years. :eek11:

Yeah that's my Bandit..... Elusive as all get out!

·
Registered
4,169 Posts
Jessica,
I was so fortunate with both my persians... The first was a rescue (Mr. Mistoffolees) that was probably 8-10 yrs when I got him. I never had any problems with grooming him and he LOVED bathes.
Tommy my second one (who was an inside cat that dissappeared last Sep. 23 :( ) I got as a kitten from a breeder in Germany. I started him from day one on the grooming table and again, he was never a problem.
My siamese on the other hand is a completely different story. Have to wrap him in a towel and have hubby hold him while we cut his nails. Gave him a quasi-bath once after Jordan got sick and puked on him and he about shredded me LOL Hope he never gets too dirty because I doubt I could ever get him in the tub again LOL

·
Registered
460 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Tracy, I'm sorry to hear about your kitty that disappeared last year. :sadcry: I don't know what I'd do if one of my crew vanished. I'm probably be in hysterics.

I remember when Sampson went missing one day, how distraut I was. I was certain he escaped outside and I figured he'd be done for with all the coyotes around the area. I went to work that day upset over not being able to find him and when I came home that day, the first thing I did was look over the house again, just in case. In one part of the house, I kept hearing a little cry and I eventually found him inside the lazy susan in the kitchen. lol He must have scooted in there when I opened it that morning and I closed it on him. Poor guy was stuck in there all day. I was so happy to see him though, I must of smothered him with so much affection because he hates me to pet him now. :eek11:

·
Registered
4,169 Posts
I'm sure he doesn't HATE to be petted, he just doesn't want you to know that LOL

Loosing Tommy has been hard and I can't say that I'm "over it" even still. Jordan had a few friends over that day and the only thing I can think is that for some reason he got nervous and jetted out of an open door. (To be completely honest I think my neighbors dogs got him and they knew it but didn't say anything to me, they just acted real strange for a bit and "over concerned" when I was putting up posters and running lost ads and stuff.) But since she had friends over I figured he was hiding and wasn't concerned until the next morning when he didn't show up for breakfast. We looked for weeks every day. He has a micro-chip but didn't have his collar on, I can only pray that he shows up someday and they contact me (we've since moved to another country but left numbers with the local spca). But it's doubtful, if the dogs didn't get him I'm sure coyotes or foxes did or it was a really hard winter with tons of snow and temps as low as -60. I truly doubt somebody has him because he's not the nicest critter in the world to anyone other than me...

Oddly enough a woman who thought she found him on day two called me a week or so later to ask about our search. I told her he wasn't found yet and she asked if I'd be willing to foster another cat she found (she still had the found persian mix that wasn't tommy). I decided to foster the cat until we found his owners and so fell in love with him. We got him in October and moved the following May with no luck in finding his owners. It is so obvious this boy was loved and cherished at one time, he's neutered and declawed and the coolest cat ever. Casper is a 20+ pound ragdollish guy. Unfortunately we lost him to but to much better circumstances. When we left Minot I shipped YoYo and Casper to my parents so we didn't have them in the Jeep with us for 2 days. My father - who has always HATED cats - fell in love with him and refused to let us have him back :) Not neccessarily a bad thing since when we came we only had 2 pet slots on the military flight and would have had to ship him over commercial this fall and with the ever changing quarantine laws here, he was facing a few months in a not so nice quarantine facility.

sorry for the epic length... :)

·
Registered
6,589 Posts
I have three cats one is 8 years old the other is actually her niece she is 7, and the third we just rescued about a year and half ago he is about 5. Well other then the introductory bath when the two girls came to live with me, none have been bathed since. They just don't need it, they don't go outside, all DSH so I don't have long coats to worry about. But a month a go, the male "Jinxy" got out though a hole in the kids screen I didn't know was there. He was loose for about a day and a half. I was worried but not over the top worry, he's got all his claws so I wasn't worried about him taking care of himself. But I was very concerned about cars and getting sick from another cat outside. A happy ending, found the fat turd cooling himself off under a loose board behind the neighbors garage!

So he had to get a bath, and he had never had even one with me! Just the other two. But I'm SOOOO allergic to Poison Ivy, I would get it from him if he had tromped through it, so into the sink you go Mr.! I didn't know how he'd react as he can be a "spazoid" sometimes, but I wish I had Pictures!!! You guys would have died!!! He didn't scratch or bite me at all, but he extended all four legs and all claws and hooked the sides of the sink at all four sides!! It was a hoot, the more I tried to push him down in the sink the harder he hung on to the sides!!

·
Registered
1,327 Posts
I have 2 cats.

I have had Cubby since he was 3 months old. I got him from my mom. Cubby hates people, children, Gracie, and the other cat. The only thing Cubby loves is food. Cubby comes to me to be petted every night. He has done this since the day I got him. He also has panic attacks if to many people are in HIS house. Or when we moved and brought him in here he had a really bad panic attack. He hates change and anything to do with it. Cubby is 5 years old. He is my heart and my soul. I have put so much work into him to make him friendly and yet I get nothing in return. He still hates everyone all the time. Lol

Then there is sweet little Rachel. I just got her in January. From the moment I took her from her old owners arms she started purrrrrrring. Awwww. The awwww factor lasted for about 3 weeks. Then she went in to heat. Every other week after that in heat. OMG it drove me up a wall. So I got her into the vet got all her shots and got her fixed. As soon as she got home and felt better she became the worlds perfect cat. She loves everyone, including Gracie, she wants nothing more than to be petted and loved all the time. She adores my husband. Almost to the point where it makes me sick to watch her when she is walking over to hubby. She is such a wonderful cat and I am glad that I got her. The vet says she is about 6 years old, but the old owners swear she is 4 or 5 years old.

·
Registered
6,589 Posts
I honestly don't know how anyone, even the owners of expensive purebreed cats, can stand having a cat in heat! I don't think there is anything worse, even undie eating killer dogs....

·
Registered
460 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Tracy, that is such a sad story about your Tommy. :( It's even worse to think about what *might* have happened to him but you always have to have hope that one day he'll turn up and the microchip makes that all the more possible. I've read stories about people being reunited with their beloved pets after several years because of the chip so it could happen.

·
Registered
460 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I honestly don't know how anyone, even the owners of expensive purebreed cats, can stand having a cat in heat! I don't think there is anything worse, even undie eating killer dogs....
:roflmao: I'd certainly take an undie eating killer dog over a cat in heat any day!

lol I remember a woman calling the vet clinic in a panic because she thought her dog attacked her cat because it was laying on the floor, crying with the dog standing over it. She rushed the cat in and there was nothing wrong with the kitty cept it was in heat and it was rolling around on the floor, screaming its head off. Apparently her dog took great interest in what the cat was doing and she walked in at the wrong moment and assumed the worst.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts