Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have recently moved out of my parent's house and on my own for the first time. I love it and it is fun, but since the move Kellogg has been having some of what I would call separation anxiety symptoms.

I left him with my parents for a week while I unpacked and got everything ready for him to move in. Since that point he won't leave my side and is only comfortable when I am next to him. He follows me from room to room and doesn't want me to leave... ever.

Since I have to go to work, I wanted to know if anyone had any ideas of how to take the edge off while I am gone. I hate the look I get when I put him in his crate when I leave.

I have been changing up my routine and I have been leaving for short periods and coming back in hopes that I can train him into knowing when I leave its okay. I will also randomly put him in his crate and then let him out while I am still here.

I was wondering what everyone thoughts and/or experience with different OTC anxiety remedies like the thunder shirt, DAP and rescue remedy etc.

If you have any other ideas I would love to hear them.

Other notes: he isn't spending any more time in his crate then what he was back at my parents house. I have been spending more time with him playing, training trying to wear him out. I want him to relax and be comfortable. I am not really comfortable putting him on prescription anti-anxiety meds.

·
Registered
4,230 Posts
Do you ever put him in the crate while you are home? Maybe with a stuffed frozen kong, or some other yummy? If the crate ALWAYS = left alone you may develop a negative association.

Also, the Bach flower/rescue remedy stuff... There is a woman in our rescue with a highly anxious dobergirl, and she LOVES the stuff

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Do you ever put him in the crate while you are home? Maybe with a stuffed frozen kong, or some other yummy? If the crate ALWAYS = left alone you may develop a negative association.

Also, the Bach flower/rescue remedy stuff... There is a woman in our rescue with a highly anxious dobergirl, and she LOVES the stuff

Yes, I have been putting him in his crate while I am still there. I have been staggering the length of time he is in there while I am home. I will toss him in there when I am just taking out the garbage or running to the store as well so he gets used to being in it while I am gone for short periods.

I give him treats when he goes and and comes out every time. I don't trust him with kongs while I am not alone I have watched him and my last dobe chew them up (the blue ones). While he never has ingested any of the toys he destroys, I don't want to run the risk of him doing it in a anxiety fit.

I usually toss some treats and food in at random times as well as when he is going into the crate so he has to sniff around and find all the pieces.

I have heard some good things about rescue remedy on ex-racing greyhounds to help them cope and on a few other breeds. I have also heard that it doesn't work at all. I was thinking about trying it ans the DAP.

Thank you so much

·
Registered
2,778 Posts
I give him treats when he goes and and comes out every time.
I would NOT reward exiting the crate! Not with treats, not with pets, not with happy voice. Leaving the crate should not be made any better than it intrinsically already is.

Half the time, what is making the dog anxious is a reaction to the owner who is worrying about the dog being anxious...

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I would NOT reward exiting the crate! Not with treats, not with pets, not with happy voice. Leaving the crate should not be made any better than it intrinsically already is.

Half the time, what is making the dog anxious is a reaction to the owner who is worrying about the dog being anxious...
I make him do other stuff as he is coming out of the crate that he gets the reward for (should have actually said that) I have been trying to incorporate the crate in our training and play. Like he has to go in and down in his crate before I will throw a ball or something like that. I am trying to make it as happy of a place as possible.

And we never had this issue until we moved. I thought he would find his crate comforting when I first moved in since it smelled of him and he was familiar with it. I just want him to be comfortable. If this was a existing issue I would say its me, but after almost 2 months of him not being able to relax fully I came here for advice.

·
Registered
2,778 Posts
I make him do other stuff as he is coming out of the crate that he gets the reward for (should have actually said that) I have been trying to incorporate the crate in our training and play. Like he has to go in and down in his crate before I will throw a ball or something like that. I am trying to make it as happy of a place as possible.

And we never had this issue until we moved. I thought he would find his crate comforting when I first moved in since it smelled of him and he was familiar with it. I just want him to be comfortable. If this was a existing issue I would say its me, but after almost 2 months of him not being able to relax fully I came here for advice.
You are still making coming out of the crate rewarding. If you want to incorporate the crate in training (and I, personally, would not... it simply puts more emphasis on the crate, when the crate should be a non-issue) do some exercise which involves him entering or being in the crate, reward in the crate and disengage... just walk away... fun over!

I know I tend to read more into language use than perhaps I sometimes should, and I am more than willing to realize that I might be doing so here, but... you thought he would find his crate comforting says to me that you made the assumption that he would need comfort. Why? Instead of embarking on a new adventure with "Yay!" you seem to have embarked with "Oh, I hope you're O.K.!" There is a message there that a dog reads quite clearly... if the boss is worried, we prolly gots a problem!

·
Super Moderator
21,878 Posts
Separation anxiety is tricky and can really escalate, as it's a self-reinforcing behavior. I highly recommend you connect with a great trainer or behaviorist to develop a plan. That said, I've personally had good results with both DAP and with the Thundershirt. However, unless the anxiety is pretty mild, neither is likely going to be a solution for you without behavioral modification on top of it. You might try incorporating some of Susan Garrett's "Crate Games" to make the crate more of a happy place for him. Is he anxious just in the crate? Can you try dog proofing a room and leaving him in there to see if there's any difference?

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I have been incorporating the crate in training after attending a seminar with Susan Garrett's Crate games. I have been using it as a training tool off and on for the last year & a half.

His anxiety is pretty mild compared to some I have seen, but I am trying to nip it in the bud before it becomes a huge problem.

I have contacted all the trainers in my area and his former vet/breeder. The vet/breeder is also a trainer that specializes in behavior modification.

I ordered some Rescue remedy and I talked to the vet I work for currently and said to just change one thing for now.

Thanks again for everyone's help

·
Registered
884 Posts
I give him treats when he goes and and comes out every time. I don't trust him with kongs while I am not alone I have watched him and my last dobe chew them up (the blue ones). While he never has ingested any of the toys he destroys, I don't want to run the risk of him doing it in a anxiety fit.
I've had aggressive chewers but they have never destroyed the red Kongs that I give them. Have you ever tried the black Kongs? Those are made for the really aggressive chewers. I would also be sure that the Kong is the right size for your dog. I'm not suggesting that the red and black Kongs can't be chewed but I do believe they are stronger than the blue ones.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts