Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi its me again, to tell you a brief background, i got kahlua last april 24 almost 5months. before turnover, i asked the breeder what excerise suits the pup, his suggestion is to let him play in the garden in the morning and to walk him in the afternn. i did exactly what he told me..

one week after, i hired a professional handler to train him. so his exercise would consist of 30min playing in the garden, most of the time hed sprint (my garden not that big, its about 21m long), 30min of training by handler and 30mins of walk a day.

3 days later, i brought kahlua to a vet to have his ear tape reposted, we also did the rabies shots and deworming. i left him there that morning and picked him up that afternn right before going home.

when we got home , right before i fed him. i saw his rear left leg limping, i immediately called the vet to ask if this is normal upon shots. the vet ask which side and said they administered shot on the right rear leg and that couldnt be the cause. he said to confine and to rest the pup... we then stopped all activity, except he is allowed to walk in his mini space (about 6m space).

i started doing research and came across panosteitis, i immediately called the breeder and ask, he explained to me what that is and Pano doesnt run in his bloodline, he said kalhua might have gotten it from how he sleeps lying on his left most of the time. he said to rest him..

one week after, i can still see kahlua limping. i then called the vet once again and he said to give him pain killers and cont rest for a week. i still havent given him pain killers, as i feel by the look of the limping that the limping isnt that intense and pain killer wont be the cure for it and that it would cause more harm than good.

yesterday, when i went home from the office i saw him not limping anymore, but this morning when i woke up, he started limping again?

DTwhat could he have been experiencing ?
what could have been the cause?
what can i do?
should i give him painkillers ?

please help :confused::confused::confused:

·
Premium Member
8,030 Posts
All Pano is is growing pains he will out grow it in time if he acts like he is in pain give him the pain pills my Buddy had it in all 4 legs we had to stop our obedience classes but then when he quit limping we went back to class.As for the breeder telling you none of his dogs have pano guess none of his dogs did any growing.It's not hereditary its just growing pains something that alot of dogs have.Good luck with your pup.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
All Pano is is growing pains he will out grow it in time if he acts like he is in pain give him the pain pills my Buddy had it in all 4 legs we had to stop our obedience classes but then when he quit limping we went back to class.As for the breeder telling you none of his dogs have pano guess none of his dogs did any growing.It's not hereditary its just growing pains something that alot of dogs have.Good luck with your pup.
thanks, patches mom for your quick reply. Furthur inq. do you think i should cont. to walk him even for short distance? maybe 15mins instead of 30mins or to totally confine him. hes been in there for a week, i worried it might change its temperament :confused:

·
Premium Member
8,828 Posts
Pano can come and go and wander from leg to leg. It will go away on its own, and I'd be cautious of using pain killers unless he is truly uncomfortable. What you may want to look at is what he is eating and make sure that it is not too high in protein. I try to keep puppies on 26% protein or less - my current litter is on 25% right now. I know your choices are limited - but if there is a good large breed formula available, you might want to try that.

Reactions: Adara

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Pano can come and go and wander from leg to leg. It will go away on its own, and I'd be cautious of using pain killers unless he is truly uncomfortable. What you may want to look at is what he is eating and make sure that it is not too high in protein. I try to keep puppies on 26% protein or less - my current litter is on 25% right now. I know your choices are limited - but if there is a good large breed formula available, you might want to try that.
Is it ok to continue walking him? How long does it usually last. I consulted a vet this afternn and his suggestion is to give him paracetamol.

·
Registered
9,449 Posts
I would go for short walks if he isn't limping. Flirt had it and my vet suggested limiting activity based on how she felt but making sure she wasn't 100% crated (nor left to run on her own!). She felt light activity was helpful.

If you are medicating, remember your dog won't feel the pain so be sure you control activity for him.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
i consulted a different vet yesterday and he told me the same. to medicate the dog with paracetamol 2x a day. i tried giving my puppy 500mg of the medication. its in pill form and struggled to have him take it. he spit the tablet out but id say consumed 3/4 of the doze. This morning i dont see him limping anymore.

vet told me that paracetamol is also an anti inflammatory, could that have cured his problem or is this temporary? i didnt medicate this morning. how long before pain killers usually wear off? :confused:

·
Registered
16,037 Posts
Exactly how old is your puppy? What and how much are you feeding him? Too many calories(overfeeding) will cause a pup to grow too fast and that causes pano. You want to keep him lightweight and be careful not to overfeed. Pano will switch legs and your pup hasnt done that? I would also suggest giving 500 mgs vit C after breakfast, then when he is 5 months of age adding another 500 mgs after evening meal. Parker had a severe case of pano and the vet had him on crate rest and lease only potty breaks for two week time periods. The pain pills given for Parker were also an anti inflamatory and playeed a big part in helping him. But, like I said, his pano was severe. I overfed him and ran out of vitamin C for a week or two and he developed pano during this period.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Exactly how old is your puppy? What and how much are you feeding him? Too many calories(overfeeding) will cause a pup to grow too fast and that causes pano. You want to keep him lightweight and be careful not to overfeed. Pano will switch legs and your pup hasnt done that? I would also suggest giving 500 mgs vit C after breakfast, then when he is 5 months of age adding another 500 mgs after evening meal. Parker had a severe case of pano and the vet had him on crate rest and lease only potty breaks for two week time periods. The pain pills given for Parker were also an anti inflamatory and playeed a big part in helping him. But, like I said, his pano was severe. I overfed him and ran out of vitamin C for a week or two and he developed pano during this period.
Hi lindaH, puppy 5.5 month old. I'm looking at the angle of over feeding also. I used to feed him 1/2kilo of proplan that's about 5.5 cups a day. I decreased feeding to 4.5 cup per day.

Btw, what's the vitamin c suppose to do, is it suppose to lessen chances of pano? Limping just on one leg.

Anyway, It's pass 24hr after medication , didnt follow up on med. no signs of limping. Hopefully he doesn't limp anymore:rolleyesww:

·
Registered
16,037 Posts
Vitamin C is a good antioxidant and is good for cartilage and joints. Pups with various bone diseases test low for vit C, so it is thought low vit C to be a contributing factor. Have your vet show you how to give a pill or wrap them in cheese or ground meat so the pup will swallow. Parker used to resist taking vit c, but now takes them out of my hand. Give 500 mgs for 2 weeks after breakfast and then add another after evening meal. Never give on an empty stomach. Watch to see if stools go soft. If they do, cut back to 250 mgs and increase slowly. Just make sure you cannot see spine or hipbones on your puppy when reducing amounts fed. Still not sure if this pup has pano, tho. Good luck with him.:)

·
Banned
7,405 Posts
When my girl had pano, walking was out of the question, she was in a lot of pain. My vet ended up putting a soft wrap cast on her and it really helped. It wasn't on long enough to affect growth or anything, only for a bit while we switched her food and she got over it. The lameness had wandered but it was the worst in her back leg.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
update, 48 hrs and still no sign of limping, no med follow up since 48hrs ago. just cut down on feeding. we walked for about 250m this morning and rest the whole day.:)

·
Registered
57 Posts
I have a friend who's German Shepherd pup went through this and as he was a working prospect it was really alarming to him. One thing I would do personally is when you do take him on brief walks, try to keep him walking on the grass/soft earth instead of pounding his paws on cement. That always seemed to be less stressful to the GSD pup--- and he did grow out of it :)

I agree 110% with LindaH about protein balance, etc

1 - 14 of 14 Posts