Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Mo's Mom
904 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My obsession with dobermans and researching them (before buying one this fall) has now taken over my school work. Everytime i sit down to do homework on my computer, I find myself reading and searching about the breed... so, after being assigned an argumentative research paper with a topic of my choice, I thought it would be smart to just do something involving dobermans, since it is all i read about anyways lol... But i am having a hard time coming up with a good question and thesis to argue... any suggestions? The topic has to be something that would be documented in peer revised data bases and what not... I did a search in our schools data base, and there are a lot of articles on doberman health issues... just do not know where to start... please help, if you can!

(sorry for any spelling mistakes, doing this from my phone!)

·
Mo's Mom
904 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
oooo good idea... I am going to look in the data base... but I am not sure if there is anything in there about that. There are a ton of articles about different health problems and testing for them, and the effect it has on the animals though...

·
Registered
3,142 Posts
oooo good idea... I am going to look in the data base... but I am not sure if there is anything in there about that. There are a ton of articles about different health problems and testing for them, and the effect it has on the animals though...
BYBS don't usually health test so you could base the argument on that

·
Registered
2,372 Posts
How about how their skull stops growing. Bbut their brain keeps growing. Thats why they go crazy and attack their owners! LOL It really does not happen.

·
Mo's Mom
904 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I thought about doing it on the fact that certain breeds are labled as aggressive, when this is clearly, based on statistics, not the case... but i didnt not find any articles on that...

·
Mo's Mom
904 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I have gotten a couple articles on "causes of sudden death in dobermans" "the importance of knowing temperment and socialization"... going to find a way to tie them into proper breeding practices

·
Registered
2,372 Posts
I thought about doing it on the fact that certain breeds are labled as aggressive, when this is clearly, based on statistics, not the case... but i didnt not find any articles on that...
You will not find any facts on it. It is a urban legend back in the 70's 80's

·
Mo's Mom
904 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I have actually found quite a few articles on the health issues that dobermans have, and how poor breeding practices have the ability to destroy a breed. So I think I am going to go along that line...

·
Registered
2,372 Posts

·
Mo's Mom
904 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I do not know many dogs that would not take advantage of being put into a room full stuffed animals... heck, my cat would enjoy that! lol

·
Paralibrarian
6,168 Posts
OMG. You all have to read this article... i am also allowed to use the new york times, and when i searched in their database, this is what I found. What a clown lol...

Doberman on guard duty whacks 100 teddy bears - Europe - International Herald Tribune - The New York Times
I remember reading about that when it happened (this was pre Doberman ownership). It struck me that the guard was not being truthful. The dog destroyed 100 teddy bears before he could get him under control? Sounds like the dog was unsupervised while the guard went and played poker or took a leak or something. Classic case of "the dog did it".

I think health ties in with backyard breeding pretty appropriately.

·
Registered
905 Posts
I do not know many dogs that would not take advantage of being put into a room full stuffed animals... heck, my cat would enjoy that! lol
I'm pretty sure if Kahlua was put in a room with anything with stuffing she would destroy all of them. She de-stuffs all of her toys. I only give the stuffing ones to her every once in a while now, otherwise she gets stuffing free toys.

The dog probably thought he was in stuffed animal paradise and had a blast... I mean, he could have been making sure there were no dragons in them ;)

·
Registered
907 Posts
Is this a scientific study on the breed and its diseases?

Or could it possibly be like the cost-benefit analysis of paying more from a reputable breeder (health testing, fewer litters, better conditions, cropped ears) vs. health costs spent which were presumably "saved" by buying from a backyard or hobby breeder?

·
Registered
771 Posts
I would either say buying from an ethical breeder/BYB or their reputation. There is a lot to be said about where they came from and the public's misconception of this breed. It's funny that pit bulls are being banned and people are scared of them now; I say that because when we go places people will more than willingly approach and pet/talk to Rocco.. NO ONE will touch my Dobermans unless they have had one or a family member/CLOSE friend had one.

·
Mo's Mom
904 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I saved a few articles... have not really decided which way i am going to go about it yet... some of the topics are about the different health issues that are common in the breed, how poor breeding has caused a rise in these issues, why breeders should be more careful about what temperment they are breeding for, laws that are bring proposed to regulate breeders, and the importance of an educated breeder in the early days of the pups life... all of them university peer revised articles.

·
Registered
12,009 Posts
kpal4978
Back in the 1970's the doberman was more popular and with that comes social and health problems...too many BYB, supplying the demand chain.
Plus "low life" punks, wants a status symbol...and not so good & responsible pet owners.

Someone told me (decades ago), a breed will go downhill...if it becomes too popular / happened to the GSD earlier.
Later the "low life" types, had to have a pitt bull...to show how cool they where...which was good for the doberman breed.

I am just thinking out loud now / maybe there is a nugget of an ideal here.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts