Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi Everyone,

MyDobie pup is about 20 weeks old now @ 33lbs. But for over 2 months he's been having diarrhea. We've been to the vet Repeatedly and it still hasn't gone away. His diarrhea isn't explosive or really watery. Its more like pudding or oatmeal at regular scheduled times of the day about 2-3 times a day. He drinks enough water daily.

His poop was normal when he was around 10-12 weeks. Then during his puppy exam, the vet tested him positive for Giardia. The pup had no symptoms, and was eating fine and putting on weight at a decent pace. Although I still think hes a little small for his age right now.

He started the antibiotics for a week, and during that week, the diarrhea started, and has not gone away since, hes about 19-20 weeks now.

After the first treatment of Giardia, the vet said to wait a few weeks to retest him, then he tested for Giardia again. And he went though a 2nd treatment of antibiotics with a probiotic, and low residue food. After the 2nd treatment, hes been tested twice and no more Giardia.

We've changed his food to see if he is allergic to anything, and hes been though 4 different foods now, about to go onto 5.

We do not give him treats or table food, we only give him his dog food, due to his sensitive stomach. We give him his kibble as "training treats"

1 - Welllness Puppy (then vet said to change him to large breed food)
2- Wellness Large breed puppy (this is when the diarrhea started) 1 month
3 - TOTW - salmon (to eliminate grains and chicken. He did ok for 2 weeks, then the diarrhea started again.) (1 month)
4- Iams - Intestinal Low Residue with a probiotic, (Vet suggestion which Didn't make a difference. (2 weeks)
5- Royal Canin - intestinal Low Residue (2nd vet suggestion but haven't started yet - see below)

After the 4th food, I switched vets to get another opinion. The new vet put the pup on Anti-diaherra meds and antibiotics again. It did help lessen the frequency of bowel movements from 4-5 times a day, to 2-3 times a day, however it is still pudding/oatmeal looking.

So right now, The vet suggested we use the Bland Diet, of rice and chicken, for a few days, and start the pup on Royal Canin,

We fasted him for 24 hours and are starting the bland diet today,
However I was wondering if I should also get a probiotic for the pup as well?
I have a feeling that because of all the antibiotics he's taken (3 rounds), that his "good" bacteria is all gone which is just making the diarrhea worse.. I know I'm not a vet or doctor, but it makes sense that, taking too many antibiotics can destroy the good bacteria in humans, so I'm sure dogs might react similarly.

There seem to be alot of probiotics available that all seem to have pretty decent reviews.. However, it seems like they are all for adult Dogs. Would it be ok for a 5 month puppy to use probiotics too?

Thank you for your time and help.
Ly

·
Registered
1,533 Posts
Once they get Garadia it does not go away. It lives in the dog's gut and reoccurs when the pup/dog is stressed. So your pup's immune system sounds to be stressed.

You may have to keep going back to the Garidia medicine during these re-occurances. After awhile, you may see him outgrow it. But that's what I have experienced down the road too, with many pups I've adopted.

Now, it would not bother me at all to put some plain yogurt in his food.

That's all I'm going to say because I'm not a veternarian. I'm just relating my experience.

·
Registered
16,037 Posts
Could you beoverfeeding? How much do you give him per meal, per day? If the amount turns out okay, try picking up some slippery elm at a health food store. It will sooth the stomach and intestinal linings. Give him about a tablespoon of plain greek yogurt with his morning meal. He does sound a little underweight as most pups range from 40 to 50 lbs at that age. I would keep him on the chicken or boiled hamburger and rice for 3 to 5 days with greek yogurt and slippery elm to see if he will straighten out. Later, if he doesnt straighten out, you might try another round of giardia meds, even if the vet doesnt find it in his stool as they can reinfect easily. Are you keeping him away from where he pooped when infected? Dont let him walk there. Hope he gets on the right track and please keep us informed.

·
Registered
45 Posts
We went through the same thing with my puppy who is a little over 5 months. After visits, multi tests and scans it was determined that he had what my vet calls "puppy stomache". He was put on flagyl and that did help. I also changed his diet to wellness core and blue buffalo wilderness kibble. we also put him on fortiflora probiotics for dog. This doesn't cost much, about $20 for a month supply online. This has seem to help but he still has loose stools but the vet tells me this will pass as he gets out of the puppy stages.

·
Super Moderator
21,890 Posts
5 different foods for a 20 week old pup sounds like a lot. Is it possible you haven't stuck to one food long enough to see if his stools firm up? It can take several weeks.

Many dobermans seem to do very well on ProPlan Sensitive Skin and Stomach formula.

·
Registered
1,544 Posts
2 weeks is not long enough to be on one food. If anything the constant food rotation is probably making it worse

·
kopfgeschlagen
2,671 Posts
I went through a similar experience with Elke and it took a long time to finally clear up the giardia, even when we thought it was gone it came back. So be persistent in making sure it's cleared up. She was also very sensitive to rich foods so she's on Pro Plan Sensitive Stomach and doing well.

Give plenty of time to the food switch and do it gradually or you'll get diarrhea anyway. Try adding some pumpkin (a spoon or two) to the food and it should help firm up the poops.

It was a 5 or 6 month process for us but we finally got there and she has been doing well on her food and with firm poops for a year now. However general excitement and running around can soften them up temporarily.

Good luck!

·
Registered
5,159 Posts
I was thinking over feeding as well. We had the same issue with Jinx. She has always been on the thin side, but upping her food only causes diarrhea. I did find she does better on foods without grain.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Probiotics

I use Kefir three times a day when I feed my puppy. Your puppy might really benefit from kefir. Check out this article for more info on Kefir and it's amazing impact on healthy digestive tract, especially part about kefir vs yogurt.

--Robert

·
Registered
793 Posts
we have been through the giardia thing too. One week on meds cured it and we feed pro plan select. I also supplement with nuvet tabs daily and any treats given are either apples, carrots, watermelon, or organic made in the usa dog treats. I am really anal when it comes to anything our dogs eat but so far so good. No more giardia and no more diarrhea.

·
Registered
2,437 Posts
OP hasn't been back but I notice that the problems started when the pup was eating foods that have since been recalled--wellness LB puppy and TOTW. Possibly as soon as his system calms down from that, he will be able to eat regular kibble with no problems.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #16 (Edited)
Hi Everyone,
Thanks for the responses. My email wasn't notifying me of the responses, so i didn't think to come check.

Update: its been almost 3 weeks and my pup has been diarrhea free.

What we did.
24 hour fasting, with lots of water.
Then a bland diet for boiled rice and chicken and pumpkin for 3 days. (after the 3 days the stools were normal and very solid)

Then another 3 days with just boiled rice and chicken.
Then the last 2 weeks we started adding in just a little bit of his new dog food. Royal Canin,
hes still on the chicken, rice and royal canin diet. We're Sloooooowly adding in more Royal Canin kibble and decreasing the amount of chicken and rice. We tried giving him a little more kibble one day, and his stools got weird again, not loose like before, but just not as normal. I'm really debating on just making his food instead of kibble.

I heard about the recall yesterday, and it did involve lots of the foods we had. :( I wonder if it was really just the bad foods and nothing really was wrong with him.

I also started giving him a daily probiotic chew as well.

Sorry for the delay everyone! I really thank you all for the well wishes and responses. :wavey:

·
Doberman Slave
2,677 Posts
Your vet should be checking for Coccidia and clostridium instead of only giardia.
This pup has been through a lot of changes in a short time. I would stick with one thing for awhile but I would for sure be asking for the tests I mentioned above with chronic diarrhea.

Reactions: MeadowCat
1 - 17 of 17 Posts