Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My Dobie, Nero, is obsessed with shaking his head to remove the posts from his ears. We can't keep them posted. I don't know if anyone would have some suggestions on how to keep him from shaking them off. His right post keeps coming out of his ear then he shakes his head until they both fall out. Help

·
Registered
3,142 Posts
What kind of tape are you using? Also you need to try to redirect him and keep him interested in other things besides his posts.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks KWhite30, You always respond. I'm not sure what kind of tape our vet is using. They fell off this weekend while he was closed so I went to walmart and bought some heavy duty Johnson and Johnson tape there. I am going to order some Zonas tape tomorrow online so I will have backup here at home. The second he comes out of his kennel, he start shaking his head. He also wrestles and plays with our other dobie and they play too rough I think.

·
Registered
3,142 Posts
Thanks KWhite30, You always respond. I'm not sure what kind of tape our vet is using. They fell off this weekend while he was closed so I went to walmart and bought some heavy duty Johnson and Johnson tape there. I am going to order some Zonas tape tomorrow online so I will have backup here at home. The second he comes out of his kennel, he start shaking his head. He also wrestles and plays with our other dobie and they play too rough I think.
Happy to help :) zonas tape works amazing as well as Kendall tape. I went through a lot of tape to find the perfect one and I found both those to be the best and it should help them from popping out. If he hasn't been posted very long he's just getting used to it. It took my pup 3-4 days to finally leave them alone now he doesn't care at all. Just watch him and the second he starts shaking or scratching distract him with something else and he will eventually learn and ignore it but good tape will really help with keep them in.

·
Broadway Dobermans
846 Posts
Nothing keeps posts in like skin bond. Take a look at my Rudy's ears. They are doing so well....and I never have to fix them. The Brand name os the skin bond I use is Torobot. Make your post as normal with back tape so the whole post is sticky. Make the base of your post a bit narrower....cut at a bit of an angle, then put a quarter of a shredded cotton puff on the bottom. Cover end with the glue, the put glue on the back of post....the side that will face the ear.
Set it aside for a minute or two and let it become tacky.
Put some glue in your pup's ear. The bottom bell area and also the inside of the length of the ear. Put in post. Shape the ear to the post nicely. Then put a few pieces of cloth type tape...nothing heavy duty as you mentioned. Something that will not pull off hair when removed. Then make a little bridge between two ears for extra strength. **** This is important*** Do not post with glue unless you have a glue remover.....like goo gone or something like it. As you'll need it with q tips to ease out the posts when you need to change them. The glue is strong and won't come off without help.
PM me if you need more help.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts