Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 72 Posts

·
Super Moderator
21,890 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay, so I need help! Simon has been on Dasuquin for about six months, I think. We initially had him on the regular Dasuquin, then switched to the Dasuquin with MSM. I didn't really notice any difference between the two.

Simon is nine years old. He has some weakness in his back legs and hips on occasion. Sometimes, his back left leg will tremble. We've x-rayed the back hips and there is some arthritis there. It is very possible he had a tear in the ligament in his rear left knee that was never treated (that's what the rescue vet suspected).

I want to keep him as mobile as possible with as little pain as possible. Right now he does not seem troubled by pain. We initially chose Dasuquin on our vet's advice. However, it seems like the price has shot up recently? I'd like to get the biggest bang for my buck when it comes to a joint supplement. Simon is 90 pounds (and is at a great weight for his frame). Ideally, I want to spend no more than $15 a month on his supplement, if possible.

I've heard good things about Glyco-flex III. I've also come across Synovial-Flex. I just cannot evaluate these on my own, as I don't have enough knowledge about supplements.

Has anyone used Glyco-flex III, and can you compare it to Dasuquin? Are there other supplements besides these three that are reasonably priced?

Thanks for any help you guys can give me!

Edited to add: Simon also gets 1000 EPA of fish oil every day. He's on a grain-free diet (Nature's Domain - we feed both the Turkey and the Fish formulas). Right now he's also taking gabapentin and clindamycin for his one remaining lick granuloma.

Reactions: Q734

·
sufferin succotash
9,168 Posts
I agree that Dasuquin is pricey. There hasn't been a price increase from the place I purchase it. Email the company- see if you can get some coupons.

Remember there's no chondroitin in glycoflex.

i use dasuquin on my own dogs. i have no problem with vetriscience products and we stock them as well, but there is no chondroitin in the glycoflexx III.

in terms of cost they are just about the same - they need to take twice as much of the chews as the tablets so i dont use those ever.

·
Got mutt?
13,820 Posts
I use the Glyco-Flex II for my Rat Terrier. He's had a bad hip since he was a puppy, and has been on joint supplements most of his life (he's almost 12). I've used other brands, but he seems to do best on the Glyco-Flex.

Reactions: MeadowCat

·
Registered
9,449 Posts
Reactions: Q734 and MeadowCat

·
Registered
6,834 Posts
I used the glycoflex and liked it but didnt love it with our past seniors, i use fresh factors now and when mabel gets to be a senior will switch to the longevity powder instead by springtime, we use it at age 7 and up for the seniors at work and I like what I have seen. It's a pricier as far as initial purchase price but the big bottles last a long time and if you like it usually are buy one or two and get one free for most all products.
Springtime, Inc. | Longevity for Dogs
I did a quick search but i think they have other senior and joint/arthritis products too.

There are also some homeopathic pain meds we use at the same time if you are interested in them, after starting the 14 y/o on them with huge results I'm so sold on them. They are pretty cheap too, depending on clinic im sure.
(the website is for people but they are safe in pets, just isnt a specific website yet)
Heel Healthcare designed by nature

Good luck and hugs to simon :)

·
Banned
7,405 Posts
Well, I am no expert on the ingredients, but I can tell you about Carson and what I've done for him.

I take it you are still more on the preventative side of things?

Carson was actually really quite lame here a while back on his poor moose paws. I had full x-rays done and there is arthritis in the knees, hips and ankles. So, I am dealing with pain as well. I doubled the Dasuquin to twice a day and have noticed improvement. I have used the Glycoflex as well, I don't really know how one would assess which works better. And of course, he is on Metacam and likely will be for the rest of his life, to manage arthritic pain.

Another thing I have started which might interest you is:

Aloha Medicinals Inc., K9 Full Flex, Hip & Joint Formula for Senior Dogs Under 40 lbs., Liver & Beef Flavored, 3565 mg, 30 Wafers - iHerb.com

Really it is more of the same thing, just less of it I think, in the ingredients. I give 2 per day.

But I was so impressed with their K9 Immunity products, and how they helped Swilly, that I just had to try this.

I'm giving them to Stormy as well.

Okay, so I need help! Simon has been on Dasuquin for about six months, I think. We initially had him on the regular Dasuquin, then switched to the Dasuquin with MSM. I didn't really notice any difference between the two.

Simon is nine years old. He has some weakness in his back legs and hips on occasion. Sometimes, his back left leg will tremble. We've x-rayed the back hips and there is some arthritis there. It is very possible he had a tear in the ligament in his rear left knee that was never treated (that's what the rescue vet suspected).

I want to keep him as mobile as possible with as little pain as possible. Right now he does not seem troubled by pain. We initially chose Dasuquin on our vet's advice. However, it seems like the price has shot up recently? I'd like to get the biggest bang for my buck when it comes to a joint supplement. Simon is 90 pounds (and is at a great weight for his frame). Ideally, I want to spend no more than $15 a month on his supplement, if possible.

I've heard good things about Glyco-flex III. I've also come across Synovial-Flex. I just cannot evaluate these on my own, as I don't have enough knowledge about supplements.

Has anyone used Glyco-flex III, and can you compare it to Dasuquin? Are there other supplements besides these three that are reasonably priced?

Thanks for any help you guys can give me!

Edited to add: Simon also gets 1000 EPA of fish oil every day. He's on a grain-free diet (Nature's Domain - we feed both the Turkey and the Fish formulas). Right now he's also taking gabapentin and clindamycin for his one remaining lick granuloma.

·
Super Moderator
21,890 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I agree that Dasuquin is pricey. There hasn't been a price increase from the place I purchase it. Email the company- see if you can get some coupons.

Remember there's no chondroitin in glycoflex.
Yeah - I know there isn't any chondroitin. I just don't know how to evaluate how important that is! I will try emailing the company :)

I take it you are still more on the preventative side of things?
Yes, he's actually doing quite well for his age. He can keep up with Shanoa running around the yard, though he definitely gets tired more quickly than she does. He can't quite "corner" the way she does, but he's still pretty active. He has no trouble at all with stairs, with jumping up on the couch, etc. Occasionally he hesitates to sit, but I'm not sure if he doesn't know what I'm asking (he only learned sit when he came to us!) or if he's just a little stiff.

Hoping someone who knows a lot about the ingredients (mmctaq???) will weigh in, too. But just hearing what has worked well for others is helpful.

Reactions: sam&macksmom

·
Registered
16,037 Posts
I buy Rexall brand double strength Glucosamine Chondroitin with MSM at Dollar General Store. I think they are $6.50 for a 60 pill bottle. Used to get triple strength but double has exact same amounts. Accidently got the Glucosamine/MSM with no chondroitin and he seemed to do better on them. I give him 1 1/2 pill morning and 1 at nite, so a bottle lasts him 45 days. Has 60 mgs vit C, 2 mg manganese, 40mg sodium, 1500 mg glucosamine, 1250 mgs chondroitin/msm complex, 100 mgs boswellia serrata, 3 mg boron.///// You can also up his fish oil to therapeutic dose of one per 10 lbs bodyweight as it reduces inflamation caused by arthritis relieving pain.

·
Registered
99 Posts
I have all my dogs on Glycoflex III and have been extremely happy with it. One of my whippets who isn't quite 9 years old has spondylosis pretty much all through his spine and he was getting a little stiff when getting up and moving around. After 3-4 weeks on Glycoflex III he was up and down without any issues and started racing around again like he was half his age. We also did Adequan injections (2 x a week for 4 weeks) as well and saw tremendous improvements with them.

I did the loading dose of the Glycoflex with all the dogs, and continue to give Harper (doberman, 84lbs) 1 whole chewable tablet once a day. Harper never had any joint issues but since he's nearly 8 yrs old I wanted to prevent any issues before they started if at all possible.

Harper also gets very high doses of fish oil as part of the supplement regimen for his DCM, but I'm sure it helps with any joint inflammation too.

·
Super Moderator
21,890 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks for all the input. I'm leaning towards trying Glyco-Flex III and seeing how it goes.

·
Registered
99 Posts
This is actually the best price I have found on the bottles of 120 count chewable tablets Hagyard Pharmacy

I haven't ordered from them so I don't know how much shipping is but their price is even cheaper than Entirelypets.

Reactions: MeadowCat

·
Registered
5,026 Posts
You may like to try giving your boy Olive Oil and Aloe Vera Capsules as these both helped my Mastif when she had Spondalocis and Displasia pain/stiffness.

Wishing your boy well. :kiss:

·
Da Boss
3,488 Posts
Meadow - I'm curious how the Glyco-Flex III worked for you? Brandy's almost done with her little tub of glucosamine that the vet prescribed her, so I'm looking for something that may not be so pricey.

1 - 20 of 72 Posts