Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

· Paccha
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Firstly, I would like to mention that I adopted my Doberman from a breeder who was not sure of keeping him. My doberman was weak and also had skin problems when he was young. I know for sure that his parents were not so great either; I got it confirmed from the breeder and vet. Pictures from the day I brought him home:

Picture 1: https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B-NZ_VnSsPv4Z21tRDVBWU9WREE

Picture 2: https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B-NZ_VnSsPv4bThSU0RRbF9EQ2M

My Doberman is 1 year old, weighs 27 Kgs (59 pounds) and 30 inches tall. He is very active, almost like he never rests. He just wants to play all the time and keeps himself busy with something.

My concern is that my dog looks very lean when you look at him from front. Also, the legs are very thin. He had caught Panosteitis earlier. He is doing great now.

I would really appreciate some expert opinions. Please check the pictures and let me know if my dog is doing OK or should I use some supplements. I feed him three times a day, I feed him home cooked meat rarely as we are vegetarians, but I feed him canned food regularly.

I have also put pictures from his young times when he had that skin problem and was weak at the top, just to make sure it doesn't relate to his lean build. I have put 2 pictures of how he looks now below:

Picture 3: https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B-NZ_VnSsPv4OTRDT1JPSXZJX3M

Picture 4: https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B-NZ_VnSsPv4bGNfV294YjJ5cFk

Thanks in Advance!

Sorry if I'm posting it at the wrong place, I'm new to Dobermantalk. Please let me know if I have to move it to somewhere else.

· Super Moderator
Hairy Dog RIP Caesar, Katana, Kip, Capri
31,650 Posts
Thirty inches (at the shoulder) is oversized for a doberman...That said, 59 pounds is light. However, dobes generally continue to put on weight and "muscle up" throughout their 2nd year.

He doesn't look particularly skinny in your pictures--a picture of him standing on all four from the side and front would help us to judge that. It is likely, though, that he just hasn't finished filling out at 1 year old. It is possible he is narrow in the front because that is the way he is built; it's hard to tell from your pictures.

Anyway, he looks SO much better than his puppy pictures, and he will grow to the size and build he is meant to be, with good food and proper exercise (still dog-led, at this point--not repetitive "forced" exercise like jogging or biking).

· Premium Member
1,657 Posts
What a difference!!
My girl is 15 months, about 26" but still very lean and lanky and just a hair over 55 lbs. I figure she will fill out a bit more but will always be on the petite size, which is just fine with me.

· Bazinga!
4,538 Posts
It isn't about weight, rather it is about body condition.

Like people dogs can carry their weight differently.

In his adult pictures he looks fine. Lean, but as previously stated he will continue to mature as time goes on.

· Registered
5,159 Posts
Don't think it would be possible to be 30" tall and only weigh 59 lbs. He would be a rack of bones. He doesn't look that thin. He looks much better now than he did. Good job on getting him healthy.

· Registered
1,988 Posts
This is my Whiskey. He's 27 inches tall and weighs just under 65 lbs. He's over four years old. It's not about being "too small" but about being the right condition for the frame.

Also, I think he was VERY lean until I had him neutered and then he finally started putting on some weight. It was hard to get him to eat before then.

IMG_2405

· Registered
88 Posts
Is it possible that you are misunderstanding where you should be measuring him? When he has all four feet on the ground, you should be measuring him from the top of the shoulder to the ground, not the top of the head to the ground. There is sermingly no way he could be 30 inches at the shoulder and that weight and look like he does in the photos. He looks fine to me.

· Got mutt?
Leo, Lily, and Simon
15,447 Posts
Welcome to DT.

Height is measured at the withers, which is the top of the shoulder blades, basically where the neck meets the back. He certainly does look better now than he did as a pup. He might be a bit on the thin side, but not too bad. Are you feeding him regular dog food, or a homemade diet?

Reactions: paccha

· Registered
438 Posts
As has been mentioned, if he truly is 30" at the whither she is quite a bit oversized. He appears lean but not grossly underweight, which makes me think that he is either not 30" or weighs more than 59 pounds. I'm hoping for the former for your sake, since oversized dogs can face more musculoskeletal issues as they age.

Tangential rant--why does everyone seem to think that Doberman should be so darned huge?! It would be nice if the AKC would sack up and not allow for oversized animals to title, and particularly not increase the size in standard to accommodate for oversized breeding. -_- end rant.

Your dog is a super cutie and his body, while maybe a bit lean, does not look like anything that you should worry too much over from the pictures provided :)

· Registered
1,126 Posts
This is my Whiskey. He's 27 inches tall and weighs just under 65 lbs. He's over four years old. It's not about being "too small" but about being the right condition for the frame.

Also, I think he was VERY lean until I had him neutered and then he finally started putting on some weight. It was hard to get him to eat before then.

IMG_2405

Don't mean to derail this thread, but I must say Whiskey is gorgeous!

OP, I agree with everyone else, your baby is lean, but doesn't look too terribly thin. He will fill out in a couple more years. He looks tons better than his puppy pictures. Good luck!

· Premium Member
9,166 Posts
I agree that he does not look to be 30" at the withers if he only weighs 59 pounds. He looks lean but not underweight for a 1 year old active boy with a fairly light frame.

Make sure he gets at least 25% protein in his diet - not sure what kibble might be available where you are in India - but a heavily vegetarian diet is not appropriate for him.

He looks pretty healthy - so you are doing something right :) He is still very much a puppy and will fill out more in the next year.... as long as you give him good nutrition and care. He is never going to be a show dog, but he for sure can be a best friend!

Reactions: paccha

· Paccha
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Is it possible that you are misunderstanding where you should be measuring him? When he has all four feet on the ground, you should be measuring him from the top of the shoulder to the ground, not the top of the head to the ground. There is sermingly no way he could be 30 inches at the shoulder and that weight and look like he does in the photos. He looks fine to me.
Yes, I was measuring him from top of his shoulder. He is almost 25 inches. Sorry, Mistake from my part.

Thanks a lot for your response :)

· Paccha
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Welcome to DT.

Height is measured at the withers, which is the top of the shoulder blades, basically where the neck meets the back. He certainly does look better now than he did as a pup. He might be a bit on the thin side, but not too bad. Are you feeding him regular dog food, or a homemade diet?
Thanks for your response. Yes I'm feeding him Dog Food (Royal Canin) and canned meat regularly. He is actually very strong, my problem is if his legs are thin for his body.

Thanks again.

· Paccha
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I agree that he does not look to be 30" at the withers if he only weighs 59 pounds. He looks lean but not underweight for a 1 year old active boy with a fairly light frame.

Make sure he gets at least 25% protein in his diet - not sure what kibble might be available where you are in India - but a heavily vegetarian diet is not appropriate for him.

He looks pretty healthy - so you are doing something right :) He is still very much a puppy and will fill out more in the next year.... as long as you give him good nutrition and care. He is never going to be a show dog, but he for sure can be a best friend!
Thanks a lot for your response.

I'm keeping him in Balanced Diet. I feed him canned food for his 2nd meal every day and Royal Canin Maxi Junior. Cooked meat every now and then, like weekly once or twice. One time rice or chapatis everyday and a lot of treats while training him :)

HE is already my Best Friend :)

Thanks again.

· Got mutt?
Leo, Lily, and Simon
15,447 Posts
--- He is actually very strong, my problem is if his legs are thin for his body.

Thanks again.
He looks like he is more on the side of what they call "fine-boned" or "light-boned" than "heavy-boned", but it shouldn't be a problem. It's just the way he's built, just like some people are tall and thin, while other people are shorter and more compact. You've done a good job with him, I think.

· Premium Member
9,166 Posts
Ah, 25" would make sense for his weight and bone structure - thanks for the information. He will continue to fill out, but may not grow in height anymore. 25" is on the small side for a boy, but it fits his frame.... which is on the light side. He is not going to be large boned, but this breed is supposed to be fast and agile... which I'm betting he is :)

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.