Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey!

I am moving into a one bedroom apartment soon along with my 65 pound Dobie pup, Toffee, and my 5 pound MaltiPoo, Crissy! It will be a very small apartment and obviously Toffee has a very large crate... (42"L x 28"W x 30"H) and I want to build (or have something built) that can incorporate the crate into the living room so that it is functional for both me and Toffee. I have seen some end tables that the crate goes inside online, but I am not looking to spend 500 dollars on something like that! My dad is good at building things so we may be able to build it ourself, but I'm just not sure what to build yet! I think the crate would make it too tall to be an end table and it would definitely be too tall for a coffee table. Does anyone have a cute Do-It-Yourself idea?? I have even looked at this lady's site (Home) and might be able to ask her if she could build something custom. Anyway, ideas/advice much appreciated!!

·
Registered
9,449 Posts
My suggestion would be to do some googling if your dad can build things. They have some phenomenal functional crates at OUTRAGEOUS prices :( but you might get a good idea of what to build.

What I did was use my crate as my nightstand in my bedroom. Guests didn't see it and it worked out fine for us. It wasn't very fancy but it was funcational.

Oh, this is a good site for ideas

http://www.dogcratesupply.com/index.php/all-dog-crates/wooden-dog-crates.html

Reactions: Herb2relax

·
Registered
36 Posts
We have 2 crates that are postioned back to back for our 2 Dobes. We put a long piece of plywood on top and covered it with a long table cloth in diiferent colors depending on the season. It is covered with Halloween decorations now, closer to Christmas we will put a red tablecloth and Christmas decorations on it. it looks like a long couch table with the exception of each end for the entry door.

·
u mad?
6,476 Posts
I use my boy's crate as sort of a table or shelf for his toys and stuff. You can put a wood board on top to make it more sturdy and to keep the wire from bending in the middle and then you can put heavier items on it like a box of toys, or collars, or treats, or whatever you want. It's not an original or cool idea but it's pretty functional.

·
Registered
589 Posts
try to incorperate a removable tray at the bottom just in case of an accident . the crate i have now is one i got at petco. She had an accident and pushed the tray out herself so if you can include that into your design beacuse it came in real handy for both of us and the clean up

·
Registered
1,748 Posts
I used Lily's as an end table. I had a couch that had a high back and sides, it was almost level with the couch.

·
Registered
3,587 Posts
I just moved Kyrah's into the bedroom right beside my bed. You could put a piece of plexi glass on top or wood I guess is cheaper. I didnt put anything on hers b/c I dont want to start putting lots of stuff on top of it. Thats one of the reasons I moved it out of the dinning room.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Jessica, I recently just moved from a small apartment (where my dobe and Jack russell were living with me) to a villa, so I understand completely!

There are quite a few creative ways to incorporate the crate into your living space. Someone suggested a TV stand, that's a good one.

You can also build the crate into a cupboard unit. So like the wooden table frame u were talking about, but higher, and built on top of the surface are wooden cupboards so it doubles up as a nice looking storage unit. U can use it to store random things, or put a hanging rail in there and use it a short wardrobe for tops and stuff.

Let us know what you decide :)

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
DeeHaleem, I decided to go with a design very similar to what you mentioned! It is in the process of being built right now! I am so excited! I will try to post a picture of the completed piece of furniture. Thank yall for all the great ideas!

·
Registered
793 Posts
try to incorperate a removable tray at the bottom just in case of an accident . the crate i have now is one i got at petco. She had an accident and pushed the tray out herself so if you can include that into your design beacuse it came in real handy for both of us and the clean up
I personally hate those plastic trays, they never seem to fit right and they are an accident waiting to happen. Our little girl once got her paw stuck between the tray and the frame and thank God i was there to see it. I swear it took one year off my life it was that terrifying. I am trying to find a crate alternative without a floor pan that is not wood(shes still a pup and I don't want to risk her chewing it). I found this one which does have a plastic floor pan but it looks like the floor pan snaps into the outside of the kennel which looks like it might be a safer alternative. Just not sure about the wooden trim.
R94129 Richell Wooden Pet Pen 120-90 Combo for Medium to Large Dogs - R94129

·
Registered
25 Posts
I have a wire crate for JED. Its 48"x30"x32". Mine also has two doors on it. I put mine in the closet. and using the side door on the crate. But i put a piece of 1/2" particle board which measured 48"x30" on top. So i can use it for two laundry baskets. Good Luck..

·
Registered
1,738 Posts
Havi and Heidi have their own room.... but i have a wood piece on top so i can store stuff like extra crate blankies, etc.... someof those custom ones are cool... but very $$$$$$$$$$$

·
Registered
174 Posts
These can be incorporated into the living room really well, actually as end tables. They are pricey, but I am in love with them and want one really bad.
It has a waterproof MDF floor.

Crown Large Mahogany Pet Table Crate | Overstock.com

If you have to get a new end table this might be the solution. Kill two birds with one stone.

·
Registered
227 Posts
TV stand

A couple of years ago I built an entertainment unit that is about the same height and width as a crate. The TV was mounted on the wall above it but it looks like it's sitting on the unit. On the table top are things like the mid-channel speaker, pictures, and so on.

You might be able to dress up a piece of plywood or laminate to make a nice top.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts