Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
336 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Josh has a nasty habit that I could use some assistance with. It started when I first got him awhile back. In a wire crate he would pee through it onto the floor without getting any in his crate. After contacting rescue about this they said he did this at another house, and the solution was putting him in a travel type crate with no wire to pee through. This worked for a short while but now he is doing it again.

The only opening on the crate I have is high and on the sides. I was told to put something over the openings so he wouldnt try to do it. I have tried it now for a couple of days and it doesnt seem to be helping he is still peeing in the crate.

I dont know what the next step should be. Should I try a belly band or is the cage possibly to large for him. I went with a pretty big one, 48 long X 32wide X 35 high so he would have more room in there. I am thinking now maybe he needs the next size down. I leave him out at night, and he is only in there maybe 5 hours at the most until my wife gets home from work. However, saturday she had to leave and it took me 45 mins to get back home and he had peed all over the inside of it. Rescue told me he was left between 8-10 hours a day in the house with no issues, once he was placed in a travel crate and the openings were covered. We take a walk every night for about an hour and a half, (of course its been raining here for the last few days).

I think its seperation anxiety but just not sure what to do next. I am thinking it has to be something I am doing or not doing that is causing this. Any help would be appreciated.

·
Registered
2,944 Posts
Hmm, I don't have any direct experience wih something like this, so I'm sure someone else will shout up wih some better advice than me. There's definatly no medical reason hy he can't hold it? Does he pee in te house at all, or just in the crate?

Personally, I'd make him go straight before putting him in, then while in there try and give him some things to do to help wih the separation anxiety (stuffed frozen kongs, antlers ect) too see if this helps at all.

Does he like his crate? Does he ever go in there for short periods of time? Maybe it could help if sometimes you just put him in there for short times, so he doesn't think he's ALWAYS going to be in there for hours.

Good luck :)

·
Registered
2,803 Posts
How is the crate set up? Is he on lots of blankets, or just a pad? is the crate in a quiet corner, covered with a blanket to keep warm and cozy? Or is it in a wide open space, with lots of light going in there?

Maybe the crate doesnt feel like a den to him? Dogs are usually picky and keep their food and den clean.

Does he have any chew toys in there? What do you use to clean up his messes?

·
Registered
99 Posts
SoCalGal might be spot on here. My girl had a relapse where she went back to crate peeing and I had her checked out and there was no medical problem.

So I went riiiight back to the start with her toilet training. More potty breaks, over exaggerated praise when she goes outside and this fixed the problem almost immediately.

Try treating him like an untrained puppy from scratch and see how that goes.

Keep us posted on your progress.

·
Registered
609 Posts
Treat him like an 8 week old puppy. Start over again with the whole potty training, do not trust him to not pee. Go out with him and make sure he is peeing outside, before crating or allowing him inside. At some point he was put into a circumstance that brought out this behavior. Could have been brought on from multiple things like being crated too long, or medical(by not being able to control or hold it long enough. I don't think its separation anxiety, it is possible but I dont see the connection between releiving and seperation. The peeing out the crate is really just your dog thinking outside the box. He has to releive himself but refuses to soil his bed. So he uses his smarts and pee's outside the crate(actually pretty clever). So in all reality the problem is your dog has taken a step back in his crate training. If it has been an issues with you and his past homes he more than likely was never fully crate trained to begin with. Good luck!

·
Registered
336 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks for all the replies. I will go through and answer each question when I get home on my computer. Its too much to.type on my smartphone

lol

·
Registered
336 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
How is the crate set up? Is he on lots of blankets, or just a pad? is the crate in a quiet corner, covered with a blanket to keep warm and cozy? Or is it in a wide open space, with lots of light going in there?

Maybe the crate doesnt feel like a den to him? Dogs are usually picky and keep their food and den clean.

Does he have any chew toys in there? What do you use to clean up his messes?

Due to the holiday and my surgery I havnt been able to respond to some of the questions I will start with the ones above:
The crate is set up in a room/office in my home just to the left of the door. I have it covered with a couple of moving blankets on the side since he tries to pee out the openings. I also have a tarp on the bottom to avoid any further damage to the carpet and pad. There is plenty of sunlight which comes into the room.

I have tried chew toys but he will still go to the bathroom in the crate. I also tried a blanket and he will pee on it and or tear it up so no more blankets. I also don't want him getting any of the blanket material caught in his stomach. I use urine eliminator to clean up his messes made by natures miracle.
I have had him checked out at the vet, and nothing shows as being wrong. He was put on anxiety medicine but doesn't make any difference. I do go out with him and make sure he is fully relieving himself. I let him out when I get up in the morning and again before heading to work and putting him in the crate. It doesnt make any difference.

I even tried one of those thunder shirts since it did help with his anxiety when taking walks. He tore it completely off his body and then peed on it.
He starts throwing a fit as soon as he is put in there, so the only thing I can come up with is he gets himself all upset, which in turn makes him go to the bathroom. Could his crate being too big be part of the problem. I bought one bigger in length so the height would be good for him to stand all the way up in. It is a petmate crate, the plastic travel type. I bought it because rescue told him he pees out the wire type. When I first brought it home he didn't pee in it for about 3 days, but then started up again and hasn't stopped since.

·
Registered
336 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Could him being on a grain free food be causing these issues? I feed taste of the wild buffalo and venison.

·
Registered
336 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I know this is a difficult case but I hope someone can help me with this issue. I was also looking at a product: D.A.P which plugs into the wall and is supposed to help calm the dog. They have it in a spray form as well. I just am starting to think this is beyond what one product can do for him.

·
kopfgeschlagen
2,671 Posts
It sounds like separation anxiety. I would keep up the basic housebreaking training and look into some things to try for separation anxiety.

My girl has it to a certain extent (she doesn't pee in the crate but she acts out in other ways) and we are working on it slowly in combinaiton with her other issues.

Working with him daily on training if you are not already doing so could also help.

·
Registered
336 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I plan on taking him to a basic training program to start. It will help me brush up on some basics as well. I just cant believe he tore a thunder-shirt off his body. I brought it back and got my money back at least. I was even maybe considering an animal behaviorist.

·
Registered
4,681 Posts
How long is he in the crate? How does he do out of the crate? I'm not a huge fan of crates but if he is tearing your house apart then I could see it. I thinks dogs do best in kennels when you are gone if you can't leave them safely in the house. More information is needed to be able to advise. If he has separation anxiety it can take a long time to help him. Some dogs can have crate anxiety but are okay in a larger space. My puppies are all potty trained in crates, I use it for a tool but they are not left for long periods in crates.

·
Registered
551 Posts
Is he peeing because he can't/won't hold it?
Or is he marking?

I can't tell from reading this. If he was peeing from some sort of separation anxiety, wouldn't he be squatting in his crate, not lifting his leg and peeing outside of it?

Sorry, all my males have been neutered and have never marked, so I just thought I would bring it up. Maybe I'm way off base here.

Hope you get some good advice.

·
Registered
4,230 Posts
I agree with Tperkins, as annoying as this is your boy seems quite UNwilling to soil his space and has cleverly figured out how NOT to, hence the peeing outside the bars. How long is he alone? You said the vet checked him out and everything was ok. What did they check for and rule out? UTI, diabetes, etc? Is he drinking excessively? Any chance he is on a steroid, like pred?

How long is he in the crate at a time?

Honestly, I am not sure a travel crate and something over the window is a good long term plan. Seems like putting a bandaid on the problem.

·
Registered
336 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
He is in there from 7:30 until like 12:30-1pm. I tried leaving him out recently and he was doing good. But today I noticed he peed in a few different places. I just cleaned the carpets recently so I guess I didn't really notice the smell. Guess more exercise and maybe a DAP plug in to try. I'm going to find my book on potty trainig. It was a great book it helped with my other dog china.

·
Get the bunnies!
7,024 Posts
Could you try leaving him in a room that he can't damage with his pee? baby gate him into the bathroom perhaps, and see how he does then?

Reactions: mmctaq
1 - 20 of 23 Posts