Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
ApollosGirl
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi from Mexico Need advise - female or male puppy?

Hi All!!

Im so happy I found this site. Im from Mexico and my name is Gaby. I have been reading some of your discussions since 8 months ago when I was forced to take back my gorgeous 4 month red male dobermann Apollo (pure breed, european blood line)...he was so cute and a little bit dominant, he never like my sister's 5 year old basset hound to bark at me, jump on my bed, etc. He used to follow me around the house all the time, unfortunatelly he bit the basset hound (in his defense the basset try to bite him first) so a family drama started and I lost the fight. Since then I've been looking to have another dobbie, Apollo was my first and he just blow my mind.

Right now Im looking for a place for me and my future new puppy but Im not sure about the gender. Any advise?? male or female? Wich is less dominant ?

Also could you tell me how good are dobermans to be left alone. I have to go to work so I will be out of the house for at least 8 to 9 hours.

Thank you!

·
u mad?
6,476 Posts
First, welcome to DT.

If you're going to be living around any other dogs I would suggest getting a gender opposite to the other dog. If you're going to be around dogs of both genders, get a female. As for dominance, a good/reputable breeder will be able to pick you out a puppy that will be perfect for you.

You work long hours, will you be able to take the dog at least midday to potty? Will you still have ample time to give a doberman the proper exercise? Many of us crate our dogs while we aren't home because dobermans will get bored easily and boredom can become destructive.

·
sufferin succotash
9,168 Posts
Personally, I would never leave a doberman alone for 8-9 hours a day. Dobermans want to be with their family, thus the reason they are velcro dogs. OCD behaviors can develop if they are left alone for hours and hours with no family interaction.

·
Registered
2,803 Posts
No dog should be left for 8 hours, are you close enough to go on your break to let him/her out for a potty break? If not, have you thought of taking your dog to daycare, or hiring a pet sitter or walker?

·
ApollosGirl
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
No dog should be left for 8 hours, are you close enough to go on your break to let him/her out for a potty break? If not, have you thought of taking your dog to daycare, or hiring a pet sitter or walker?
Hi!

Well here in Mexico we do not have a walker service. :(

Personally we do not like to leave the dogs in crates (in fact in Mexico we do not use crates unless it is for traveling purposes); when left alone we put them in the backyard with fresh water and a crate/dog pound. This is the same area were they are trained to go potty. So we make sure they have plenty of space.

·
ApollosGirl
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Personally, I would never leave a doberman alone for 8-9 hours a day. Dobermans want to be with their family, thus the reason they are velcro dogs. OCD behaviors can develop if they are left alone for hours and hours with no family interaction.
Hi Sam

Well not leaving the dog alone during my work hrs could be difficult to me since I leave alone and I cant take it to the office:(. If I could, I wouldnt think twice to do so.

I really like Dobermans but I wouldnt get another one if know they will have diffulties or to develop OCD or agression behaviors adapting to my lifestyle.

·
sufferin succotash
9,168 Posts
Do you live close enough to work that you could go home on your lunch break to give pup some love and playtime?

Hey- you could start a dog walking company! LOL

Hi Sam

Well not leaving the dog alone during my work hrs could be difficult to me since I leave alone and I cant take it to the office:(. If I could, I wouldnt think twice to do so.

I really like Dobermans but I wouldnt get another one if know they will have diffulties or to develop OCD or agression behaviors adapting to my lifestyle.

·
ApollosGirl
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
First, welcome to DT.

If you're going to be living around any other dogs I would suggest getting a gender opposite to the other dog. If you're going to be around dogs of both genders, get a female. As for dominance, a good/reputable breeder will be able to pick you out a puppy that will be perfect for you.

You work long hours, will you be able to take the dog at least midday to potty? Will you still have ample time to give a doberman the proper exercise? Many of us crate our dogs while we aren't home because dobermans will get bored easily and boredom can become destructive.
Hello!

Personally I do not like to leave the dogs in crates (in fact in Mexico we do not use crates unless it is for traveling purposes); when left alone we put them in the backyard with fresh water and a crate/dog pound. This is the same area were they are trained to go potty. So we make sure they have plenty of space.

After my work hours I have time to exercise the dog for 30 to 45 min aprox. Also I was thinking to join an agility club on weekends after taking the dog to an obedience class.

Im not sure if this will be enough to raise a good, calm dog. I want him/her to get along with the rest of the familly dogs. We live in different states so when we get together we like to take our doggies to join the party. :D

The Family dogs:

2 year old male black Labrador Retriever
5 year old male basset hound
1 year old male German Sheperd (Recently rescued)
1.6 year old male Belgian sheperd mix (Adopted)

·
ApollosGirl
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·

·
u mad?
6,476 Posts
I don't think that 30-45 minutes of exercise/day is enough for most breeds and especially not this one. Maybe once a week my dog gets less than an hour of ridiculous running around time but the rest of the week he gets more. He used to play with dogs at work with me for 6-8 hours and then spend another two hours at the dog park and STILL have energy. Perhaps you should consider a less energetic breed if all you're able to give the dog is 30-45 min/day during the week.

·
ApollosGirl
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I don't think that 30-45 minutes of exercise/day is enough for most breeds and especially not this one. Maybe once a week my dog gets less than an hour of ridiculous running around time but the rest of the week he gets more. He used to play with dogs at work with me for 6-8 hours and then spend another two hours at the dog park and STILL have energy. Perhaps you should consider a less energetic breed if all you're able to give the dog is 30-45 min/day during the week.

Wooooww!! And I though getting a weimaraner, a belgium sheperd or a boxer was crazy!! ... I think I may need to start considering a GSD or an Akita and also a long talk to the dobermann breeder I spoke to.

Thanks for the info. :)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts