Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
There is a 4 year old doberman that I would like to adopt. He was kept in a shed, hes a sweet dog. He is male and they are going to nuture (sp?) him. I have a male that is 5 loves all dogs. The one I want to adopt does not like my dog. If I get a trainer do you think he can show me how they can be freinds? Will the dobbies change once nutered ?

Thanks for any advice.

·
Registered
2,778 Posts
Male Dobermans are very frequently same-sex aggressive, and neutering or training is unlikely to have any influence in this regard. At its worst, fighting can put dog lives in jeopardy and leave you with a crate-and-rotate household which must always be ultra-cautious and on high alert... not a fun way to live, in my opinion. I would take a pass on this sweet boy and hope that he finds himself a great home as an only dog or with a female companion.

·
Registered
4,705 Posts
First, Welcome to DT! As for bringing a Male Dobe into your home, already having a Male dog....not a good idea at all. Dobermans are known for Male-Male aggression, whether neutered or not. It is not only difficult to keep a Male Doberman with another Male dog, it is dangerous as well. As hard as it is, I would pass on this fellow. There are many threads here re: Male vs Male aggression. Use the search function and read. I am sure others will chime in as well. There are a few members here that do keep more than one Male, but most do not recommend it, as it is a lot of extra work and the crate and rotate routine isn't all that fun.

·
Holier Than Now
22,475 Posts
Is the person with this male kept in a shed willing to work with a Doberman rescue group?

Are they selling the dog, or offering him for free?

If they are offering him for free, or a very nominal fee (and are sending him neutered), can you find a rescue placement for him and transport him there?

That way, you'd get to save the poor dog, without jeopardizing your own much-loved pet's safety and well-being.

If you want to mention your general area, folks can help hook you up with a Doberman rescue contact.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks you guys for the response!

I really love my dobbie and hes not the fighting type at all. I think he would be ok with him. But I wasnt sure how the other one would react.

I thought eventually they would just learn to love each other.

The one I want to save, I love him so much! I have a big heart form him. He is so gorgeous and hes always so happy to see me.

This is so hard for me to let him go, but I also dont want to worry about them hurting each other.

Do you suggest I at least try at first and if the other dog growls I will just move forward on adopting a girl?

·
Holier Than Now
22,475 Posts
I really love my dobbie and hes not the fighting type at all. I think he would be ok with him. But I wasnt sure how the other one would react.

I thought eventually they would just learn to love each other.

The one I want to save, I love him so much! I have a big heart form him. He is so gorgeous and hes always so happy to see me.

This is so hard for me to let him go, but I also dont want to worry about them hurting each other.

Do you suggest I at least try at first and if the other dog growls I will just move forward on adopting a girl?
Could you answer my questions, please?

And, I know it is very, very hard to walk away, when you've seen their face, and felt a connection, but the responsible thing to do is to try to think with your head, not just with your heart, you know?

From the questions you are asking, it would seem your level of dog experience is not what it would need to be to even give this a try, sorry. I totally don't mean that as an insult, either, just as a fact.

I guess you have to ask yourself how you'd feel if one or both dogs ended up badly hurt, maimed, or even dead. It is a real risk.

It might not happen, true, and the shed dog's attitude can't truly be assessed in that environment--you really wouldn't know his true personality til he'd been in your home for a while.

But, the fact is this is a breed with same-sex aggression tendencies, and you're already seeing growling from him at your boy--why set everybody up for more potential heartache?

·
Registered
255 Posts
You already said the rescue doesn't like your dog... So what will you do if it is not a warning growl and a full on attack to your boy? I foster dogs but I only help out the younger ones because I will not risk bringing a male into my home with my male. (and there has not been many females with rescue I work with) There is a girl out there waiting for you to save her!

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thank you red-fawn and everyone else for their advice. And Red you didnt insult me. My dobbie is my first dog, I dont have that much experience. I have been learning as I go how to train a dog. My dog is just so happy cause we spoil him I was hoping to do that as well to the dobbie I wanted to adopt.

If everyone wouldt mind saying a prayer that he finds a happy home :)

I will continue to look on adopting! I really want 2 dobbies :)

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Phoenix thank you. I am new to this dog thing and a lot of freinds told me they would eventually get along. Thats why Im here to make sure that is the case. Which its not. I wanted to get advice from experienced dobbie owners.

·
Holier Than Now
22,475 Posts
Thank you red-fawn and everyone else for their advice. And Red you didnt insult me. My dobbie is my first dog, I dont have that much experience. I have been learning as I go how to train a dog. My dog is just so happy cause we spoil him I was hoping to do that as well to the dobbie I wanted to adopt.

If everyone wouldt mind saying a prayer that he finds a happy home :)

I will continue to look on adopting! I really want 2 dobbies :)
I'm so glad to hear you're not offended, and truly, thank you for considering adopting a Doberman from a shelter. There are so many homeless ones out there, and not all find good homes in time.

If he's at a kill shelter, then please contact a rescue about him. You will need to find out--or have the rescue ask them--if they are "rescue friendly," meaning they will allow breed-specific rescues to pull animals and place them into their program.

Do you know about Pet adoption: Want a dog or cat? Adopt a pet on Petfinder ?

You can enter your zipcode there and search on Doberman Pinscher and a whole list of Dobers and Dobe mixes will come up for you.

Thank you for taking the safe and responsible course for your own boy, and for the boy in the shelter. :)

·
sufferin succotash
9,168 Posts

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Thanks so much everyone!

Haha ZZ.

I really appreciate everyones advice. Yes it is a kill shelter but I think they let them stay there for a while before putting them down and I will definelty call a doberman rescue for him.

Believe me when I say this dog means a lot to me! I am going to work very had to make sure he gets a home.

Hes an already trained dog and loves affection!! He looks at me like he loves me so much. It breaks my heart.

I will check out those websites and look for a girl that needs a rescue.

·
Registered
1,895 Posts
I will continue to look on adopting!
I am glad you asked about this dog. It is difficult when you have seen him and really like him but the reality is that it may well bring havoc to your home. He's 4 and he doesn't like your dog. It probably won't change and I think you are very smart to not take that chance. It won't be pretty if your dog gets attacked by the shelter dog...and then you will have to keep them separated forever.

Keep looking and I hope the shelter dog finds an owner where he can be the only dog.

Thanks for considering a shelter dog...but also thanks for coming on this forum and finding out more.

·
Registered
4,230 Posts
Haha ZZ.

I really appreciate everyones advice. Yes it is a kill shelter but I think they let them stay there for a while before putting them down and I will definelty call a doberman rescue for him.

Believe me when I say this dog means a lot to me! I am going to work very had to make sure he gets a home.

Hes an already trained dog and loves affection!! He looks at me like he loves me so much. It breaks my heart.

I will check out those websites and look for a girl that needs a rescue.

There are so many ways to help him if he has stolen your heart, without endangering your boy. First, I don't know where you are located, but if you let people know... Contact the closest dobe rescue. Offer to transport. Offer to donate in his name. IF you are
comfortable, offer to foster him short term (provided you can live with a strict "crate and rotate" regimen, it's a non starter if you can't).

Adopt a gorgeous girl who is just waiting for you to find her, cuz she will free up a spot for a boy like him

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
fostering dobbie

I would love to foster him. I would just keep them on different levels of the house. Whomever adopts him I would like to tell them he needs a lot of love and care.

I really want to be involved in whomever adopts him and tell them hes a sweet boy needs lots of love :)

1 - 20 of 21 Posts