Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Vicious Bitch.
3,079 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Juno has.. *cringe* separation anxiety. I realized this may not be something "she grows out of" (like I had hoped..) - so I'm looking to resolve her problems early. I've heard boarding might help resolve it?

Calypso Boarding Kennels

I was looking at this place. Thinking of taking a tour this week/end. I would buy the luxury suit and send food and toys in with her possibly buy the $18 package too.

It would only be for a night and I'd call them way too many times to check on her..

Now, the extent of her "issue" isn't self destructive, but it's becoming worrisome. I came home the other day after 2 hours and her crate had moved off of one wall to another (not flipped but slid) - and her "bed" in it was donezo. I know she screams when I leave but I figured she calms down after 25 minutes or so.

Should I see a trainer or behaviorist? Like, this just started - the destructiveness. I figured honestly that she would calm down with age.

While I was doing a photo shoot today, someone was holding her leash so she wouldn't be in my way.. She was going nuts trying to get to me. I really just don't know what to do. I'm normally home with her or I take her to work with me so that's not helping.. Ugh. Any advice is appreciated.

·
u mad?
6,476 Posts
Does the place offer daycare? I always suggest finding a place that offers daycare and taking the dog to a day of that before staying overnight. That's my preference. A night away from you once in a while is great for separation anxiety issues.

Edit: That place looks awesome.

·
Vicious Bitch.
3,079 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Does the place offer daycare? I always suggest finding a place that offers daycare and taking the dog to a day of that before staying overnight. That's my preference. A night away from you once in a while is great for separation anxiety issues.

Edit: That place looks awesome.
I don't think so with this one, but I do know of day care places.
Unfortunately, a lot of the places that offer day care REQUIRE spay/neuter after 6 months old. She's about to be 7, and I have no intentions of altering her at this point. I'm not sure how strict try are with this rule, but I woul never ever ever send her away in heat. Ever. I don't trust other people that well.

·
u mad?
6,476 Posts
I don't think so with this one, but I do know of day care places.
Unfortunately, a lot of the places that offer day care REQUIRE spay/neuter after 6 months old. She's about to be 7, and I have no intentions of altering her at this point. I'm not sure how strict try are with this rule, but I woul never ever ever send her away in heat. Ever. I don't trust other people that well.
This is true and I forgot about her age. Still, I'd call around and ask. The occasional place will accept an unaltered pup until 9 months. For a while I was taking Dreizehn to a place that said they had a 6 month requirement but took him until 9 months also.

·
Registered
4,650 Posts
go and see some of the day care places. They are often better about intact bitches, as they don't mark and you know if they are in season. I took Grace to day care for her first year, except when she was in season. I told the owners up front that she was a show dog and wouldn't be spayed at all. They were fine with that, once they met her and saw how good she was with other dogs. I agree that it is a much better option then over night boarding. Some boarding places will take dogs for just during the day but if you can find actual day care, I would go that route. Or even start with a dog walker. There are options, but good to start now. Finding someone who can take her if you have to be away is good, you just never know.

·
Registered
12,009 Posts
Separation anxiety - puppy Amy got it from being put in a crate, when I went to work (and I came home at noon), to let her out.

Luckily she was non-destructive, and at the young age of 4.5 months old...she could be trusted to sleep on the leather couch unsupervised.
- at this time, the hours of straight crying finally stopped

Amy would look at a kennel confinement as a death sentence (without having her Dad around)...and boarding her ever, was simply out of the question.
- she copes very well, if left at home and she knows I`m coming back...an overnight kennel visit, would be a freak-out time, for her

·
Vicious Bitch.
3,079 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
go and see some of the day care places. They are often better about intact bitches, as they don't mark and you know if they are in season. I took Grace to day care for her first year, except when she was in season. I told the owners up front that she was a show dog and wouldn't be spayed at all. They were fine with that, once they met her and saw how good she was with other dogs. I agree that it is a much better option then over night boarding. Some boarding places will take dogs for just during the day but if you can find actual day care, I would go that route. Or even start with a dog walker. There are options, but good to start now. Finding someone who can take her if you have to be away is good, you just never know.
Thank you, I'll definitely check places (along with what patchwork said). And I live out in the boonies. I dunno if I could hire a dog walker out here LOL!

It can really be helpful if you can get a dog savvy friend to take her to their house for an afternoon now and then.
I do have one Dobermann savvy friend! Juno and I have been over there countless times. Juno stayed a day there and it built her confidence, and states there a few hours one night when I went out to dinner.
I just don't want to "dump" Juno on my friend, although she's more than willing to have a Dobe in her home again.

·
Super Moderator
21,896 Posts
You can always pay your dog savvy friend :)

I would definitely recommend connecting with a trainer or behaviorist. In my experience, dogs don't grow out of separation anxiety. Instead, it gets worse over time, as being anxious makes you more anxious, and it builds and builds. You'll need a desensitization plan, and it can take some time.

·
Premium Member
5,377 Posts
I don't know that I would go the boarding route - Daycare, dog walker friend but I would also work on her issues like MeadowCat says. The trainer w/ IDR + recommends
I'll be home soon by Patricia McConnell as a good place to start.

Welcome to Dogwise.com

SA sucks both my fosters Noel and Jack Frost were returned because of it and they are teeny tiny dogs !

·
Registered
12,009 Posts
Personally, I don't know what desensitization plan a trainer or behaviorist could come up with...since S.A. starts, when the dog is left alone...for the most part.
Dobes are smarter than the average Boo-Boo-Bear, and when treated to the good life, they just want our companionship 24/7.

I don't know if I would want an independent dog, that treated me like it was a typical cat.
Amys S.A. came when I left the house, and no prized toy in the world, put in her crate...was going to trick her into thinking...being left along, was a good thing.

3 years ago, I had to leave Amy at my sons place with his former GF & close friend, for a half hour.
She whined so constant (non-stop), with an unbearable pitch...as she is afraid, she will be left behind.

Last year we had to go to a wedding and my retired neighbor let Amy out for a pee.
Amy loves him very much, but when he took her to his place (across the road), she just whined so he brought her back home and locked up our house.

Amy is good when she can stay in our house or sit in my 4x4 truck, if I am at my reno site.
She doesn't like being in someone elses place...without my wife or I present.

Her S.A. is managed, since puppy hood and not much of an issue, for us.
She is a very good girl, in our house because she knows Dad will always return.
But don't leave her in a strange house supervised with others...she is not having it...period.
They do calm with age, but they still communicate when they don't like something.

Like MeadowCat said...your savvy friend's assistance, could be very helpful for Juno.

·
Vicious Bitch.
3,079 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I'll try to get other people to take her - maybe pay a kid to walk her around a friend's neighborhood.

Would a trainer or behaviorist be better in this situation?

I'll be your dog-savvy friend. Fly her to Texas :D
No...I wouldn't get her back.
You too Sherry.
:)

Dobejazz- I'll look at that link when I get to a computer.

Thanks everyone.

·
Premium Member
5,377 Posts
It is not always possible to manage SA. It is healthier if the dog learns coping skills especially since she is so young. My dogs don't treat me like "a typical cat" but they have learned the skills to cope when they are left alone without being anxious and stressed.
That said my Pete exhibits very little anxiety as long as other dogs are around, and my fosters Jack Frost and Noel are better with other dogs around but still become very anxious when people are not present. I am working with them to desensitize them as it is not very likely anyone that adopts them will be with them 24/7 for the rest of their lives.

·
Vicious Bitch.
3,079 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
It is not always possible to manage SA. It is healthier if the dog learns coping skills especially since she is so young. My dogs don't treat me like "a typical cat" but they have learned the skills to cope when they are left alone without being anxious and stressed.
That said my Pete exhibits very little anxiety as long as other dogs are around, and my fosters Jack Frost and Noel are better with other dogs around but still become very anxious when people are not present. I am working with them to desensitize them as it is not very likely anyone that adopts them will be with them 24/7 for the rest of their lives.
Juno is a little more, er, reactive? She screams when I'm not around. I honestly don't know how to handle it.

·
Eat Poo and Die
2,193 Posts
In our experience, Niz grew out of it. He was quite SA when we first got him, but after he realized, hey we come back every time, he doesn't mind as much. Of course, he'd rather go with us, so he'll whine and grumble at us to take him with us when he really wants to go (if he's tired, and we just put him on his big comfy bed, he dgaf), but when we're gone, he'll just sleep. Will she play with toys, eat bully sticks, frozen kongs, ect., while you're gone or is she too nervous for that? Maybe a bob-a-lot or buster cube in a big, safe room.

·
Registered
12,009 Posts
^^^^ talking point, bolded.
Any tips or experences, that work ? (I would be interested, in learning more)...Thanks.

Several years ago, after battling cancer for 10 years, my father passed away.
So we drive up to the funeral services...with Amy in the car, and she would of been perfectly fine left by herself, at my parents house.

My mom wasn't so sure so she got the two neighbor girls over for a couple hours to babysit our Amy and gave them a few bucks.
The oldest girl was 15 and she had a younger sister.

Amy was thrilled to see us, when we got back to my parents home.
But one thing alarmed us, when we revisited, moving forward.
Now our Amy was scared of my Dads powered LazyBoy chair...and the motor noise, made her very uncomfortable.
We now suspect the girls that babysat our Amy, that one time...toremented her, while she was on my fathers chair.
She will gladly stay alone, but take Amy out of her family home with only other people present...she just hates it.
I can't blame her...just takes one bad experience / and I think, thats when she changed some.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts