Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When contacting breeders in my tri-state area I came across a breeder who had a puppy returned after being with the family for aprox. 2 months. I was told the family had the dog and he was playing too rough with the woman's young children. I was told the dog did not bite anyone(of course all puppies nip).

My question for you all is, what are some things I should look for when meeting the puppy? Is it regular to pay full price for a puppy that has been returned in this manner? Does anyone have any experience with situations like this?

Thanks!

·
Registered
40 Posts
I’ve NOT had any experience with this. But since it’s still a pup and not an adult, I would say to look at him as you would any other pup. It most probably was NOT the pups fault he was returned.

Maybe some of the more experienced people will see this and give advice.
Rosemary
MeadowCat
Dobebug
ShelianDobes
They have offered me some good advice, along with a few others that I can’t think of right now. I hope I have “tagged” them correctly so they will see this.
Anyway, good luck.

·
ಠ_ಠ
6,562 Posts
^^ I agree, I wouldn't blame the puppy here. A 4 month old puppy is a HANDFUL, regardless of breed. Throw in a larger dog, and it can be too much for young kids.

Who is the breeder?

·
Super Moderator
21,124 Posts
Sometimes people aren't really prepared for a Doberman pup and are overwhelmed.

I'd evaluate the breeder the way I'd evaluate any breeder to see if they are the right "fit" for me. If so, and they think the puppy is a good fit for my household, I wouldn't hesitate. Both of my dogs were older pups, kept by the breeder for various reasons (one a show prospect held back, another was rejected by the previous buyer for not being "pretty" enough)...both worked VERY well in my favor! I love a slightly older puppy!

·
Premium Member
8,283 Posts
I would expect to pay full price for a 4 month old puppy - really any age puppy. Some people are totally unprepared for the reality of a Doberman puppy, and they are all individuals ..... some are crazier than others - hahaha! Finding a breeder that you click with is important - as with any puppy, do your research.

·
Registered
6,938 Posts
Runic is almost 5 months and my bruises and bites on my arms have finally healed and he seems to be a little more careful when playing. Still getting battered with his front feet but not in an aggressive manner. Doberman puppies play rough. If it were me I would take the return puppy and give him a chance. This breed is a rough and tumble dog. When they get mature (brain and body) they are the gentle and sweet best buds in the world.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts