Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

Need advice about dobie puppy

4K views 51 replies 27 participants last post by  Mayanca 
#1 ·
This is frustrating to post. Im new to the forum and found it when i bought my Dobie puppy. Anyways my dobie puppy has some behavior issues that are kinda frustrating for me but im sure they stem from me being 3 weeks away from having my own child and on edge from everything. So i thought about giving her up to someone who would be more fiting to her but id feel like a failure if i gave up on her when i know all this is just typical puppy.

So if i may ask for advice on how to help me and train her for these habits of hers to stop so that i dont feel the need to place her in a more dobie experianced home.

She is 10 weeks old. She is not having any of the puppy chewing habits and plays with her toys and all that.

The biggest issue im having with her is with listening. She does not want to come when called. Not even for treats. Basicly we have to chase her around in the house and the yard to catch her for anything. Like she does not want or crave human attention. So how do i make her listen and come well called and not make a chase game out of it?

Also when i leave the house and shes not even crated she just barks and barks for hours on end. I tried leaving her with family and they couldnt take her and dont want to baby sit cause she barked for 3 hours non stop and no matter what they did she would not stop barking or howling even with them being right there.

I have no experiance raising big puppies or having big dogs besides foster dogs from a rescue along time ago. I have never experianced these issues esp. not with a puppy. She just dont act like a normal puppy.

If someone has some advice id appreciate it because i have never given up on a dog or puppy and being so far pregnant it just frustrates me to play tag with a puppy and never once had a problem with a puppy just coming to people in general.

See less See more
#2 · (Edited)
This might not be the popular opinion but considering that your life is about to become double hell with a spitfire puppy and an infant I think you should look into doberman rescues. People want puppies... the younger she is the easier it will be to find her a home with somebody who definitely has more time. Doberman puppies aren't easy and usually stay crazy for a while, then they're sometimes angels for a month before the doberteens hit and they go back to the snarky puppy stage. That's difficult to deal with before taking into consideration that you're very pregnant/about to have an infant (and therefore will be getting almost no sleep, probably) and don't have experience with larger breed puppies.

#5 ·
Whomever the breeder is in this scenario, they really should be shot. It's just crazy to place a 7-8 week old doberman puppy with someone who not only has no large breed puppy experience, but also is in the latter stages of pregnancy. Talk about setting a situation up for disaster!

I agree with PR, the best thing to do is probably talk to rescue about turning this puppy over to them. Life is only going to get more complicated once that baby comes..this puppy sounds like it's not particularly bonded to people-and while that can probably be dealt with, it's going to take time you're not going to have after delivery.

I don't think you can say you failed in a situation that would be insurmountable for just about anyone, a situation you should have *never* been put into if it wasn't for breeder irresponsibility.

#6 ·
I'm sorry, but what posessed you to try to raise a puppy while gearing up for a new baby?? There is no way you could pay me enough money to try both. Since it is unlikely that you will give up your child when it is born (relax... just a joke), I vote for either bringing her back to her breeder or giving her to a Doberman rescue. As I cannot believe a reputable breeder sold a puppy to a family about to expand, my vote actually goes to rescue.

#7 ·
I have not spoken to her breeder yet. Like i said ive been weighing out the options with everything coming up with my first child. I researched the breed and fostered ADULT dobermans many years ago and kinda fell for the breed so when i decided i wanted to get a puppy as a watch dog over the house and to raise with my child and smaller dog. With me being so miserable and almost due i probably didnt think everything through. Pretty much i did everything i shouldnt have done probably esp knowing what i do since i worked with rescues.

Im still not quite ready to give up because i feel i have failed and she isnt a bad puppy just alot of handle right now. I take her out in my yard and let her run and play and toss balls and toys. Her and my small dog run and run. She has her chew toys. Ive sat down with treats to teach her basic commands but i cant even seem to get her attention with treats. Shes doing great at house training since she seems to much rather be outside and be able to run. I know they have alot of energy and need that space and time to run and play and just be crazy which she gets.

I just dont quite understand why she barks like mad when we leave and barks like mad non stop for hours even if i leave her with family and shes right there in the same room uncrated. I could understand if she was crated to bark and whine because thats typical of puppies.

I just dont understand why she doesnt seem to want any human contact. Its not like she isnt social or shy or timid she just simply rather play with my other dog and be by herself then have anything to do with people and i thought maybe she wasnt socialized with people as much when she was younger with her breeder.

Someone who had dobie experiance i talked to asked me about her registration number and said she comes from the albino line due to the letters in her registration. Which i was just reading up on. I guess that line has alot of genetic problems and behavior problems due to the albino bloodline and interbreeding. Is this correct?

#15 ·
Someone who had dobie experiance i talked to asked me about her registration number and said she comes from the albino line due to the letters in her registration. Which i was just reading up on. I guess that line has alot of genetic problems and behavior problems due to the albino bloodline and interbreeding. Is this correct?
You dont have bloodline or behaviour problems, this sounds like a normal puppy.
Murreydobe hit it on the nail, when you mentioned you have another dog.
I think you have a lot on your plate and taking on this puppy, is going to cause alot of hard work on your part.
Nubis is my 3rd dobe and for myself, when they are pups, they take alot of work, if you want a well rounded Dobe.

Reactions: Beaumont67
#8 ·
It sounds like this puppy was raised outside, without a lot of human contact-her primary bond is with other dogs.

To overcome that, I'd really limit her interaction with the other dog in the home for awhile. I'd probably tether her to my body with a leash. Both solutions would force her into interaction with humans. This would also help with limiting having to chase her around in your condition.

But again..this is going to take a lot of time, and I really don't think you're going to have that time with your current situation.

#9 ·
Sad to say, but take it as a learning lesson and get your pup in a more suitable home.
If you are having difficulty with a normal dobe pup at 10 weeks old, you will be in for a few more surprises, especially when the baby comes along.
You are far from a failure, as you are here. With your lack of experience, you will be a failure if you keep the pup and endure more heartache.
Thanks for reaching out and you have come to the right place and I and others hate being the bearer of bad newz.

As for your questions though, you will make a game out of it, if you chase her, that is what a 10 week old puppy wants.
Your puppy is most likely barking/crying because she wants to be with you and not be left alone.
Good luck with it.

#11 ·
Thanks. I would like to try other possible solutions before just deciding to give her up is all. Its not like i dont have any dog experiance. I have fostered alot of different breeds and puppies and adults but never seen a puppy act like she does is all. It kinda threw me off and i didnt know if this behavior issue was a doberman puppy trait or just lack of socialization to humans early on. Thinking back on it when i first met her the breeder was holding her and every time i reached to touch her she would jerk away and try to jump out of the breeders arms. So probably just not the right socialization from early on.

Atleast its not just me i have my boyfriend who also helps work with her and do most of the chasing for me. We kinda went into this puppy idea knowing he would have to be a huge help in the process with a puppy and a baby.

She did have a bad habit of biting when i got he but she no longer has that problem. Its just all kisses when you finally catch her.

#12 · (Edited)
Your 10 week pup, is probably just bored / mine has seperation anxiety, and can't be crated, without crying non-stop.
- when Amy was old enough (@ 4.5 months old) to be left alone on a leather love seat, she was fine
Puppies needs loads of stimulating play and socializaton (people, places, noises, etc.)
- they do take lots of fun work & attention, in the beginning / no way around it, invest quality puppy time now or find a rescue (??)
Its running around like a little devil, to just not be ignored....seeking much human attention / same for crying, for hours straight.

More puppy reading - follow my post #2: http://www.dobermantalk.com/puppy-corner/68447-first-dobie.html

#13 ·
i just want to add i tell him NOT to chase her as like you said it will make a fun game out of it. I tell him to shut the door and leave her and she will eventually want back in lol. Which she does. Just kinda frustrating when she gets out the front door when we are trying to carry things in and out and then trying to get her in cause i cant very well leave her unattended out of a fence in yard and hope someone dont take her or she gets hit. Thats why its frustrating at that point.

#14 ·
You need to figure out a way to stop her from even getting out the front door. The longer you let that go on, the harder it will be to stop, and as you said, this is a safety risk on top of an irritation.

Leash her the minute you open the door. Leave her in a crate or another room when you're not at home, don't let her out until you've carried in everything you need. There are lots of different solutions, find the one that works for you.

#16 · (Edited)
In the long term, I'm a firm believer in the idea that EVERY dog needs to be trained to respect doors. Door crashing, especially front doors, is just too dangerous to ever allow.

This is the kind of thing you need hands on help with, too hard to explain via internet. A puppy class would really be ideal for learning training concepts and skills. Even better would be a few sessions with a private trainer, to address the specific problems you're dealing with, as well as keep her away from other dogs until a human bond is established.

#17 ·
Get a baby gate, you are going to need one soon anyways.
Nubis is 11 months and I still use one, grant it, I have shown him how to jump but he knows its their for a reason. LOL

#18 ·
I personally wouldn't look at it as failure to rehome this pup, but rather, doing what's in the best interests of the puppy. You will be overwhelmed when the baby comes. It will be easy for a rescue to rehome her now, and the challenges of dealing with a puppy with her issues (stemming from poor breeding) with the high stress life of a new baby in the house are probably insurmountable. You'd be giving her the best possible chance to have a great life if you rehomed her now.

#19 ·
I already have baby gates. I want to try to work on these small issues i have for just a bit before tossing in the towel. I know some of you dont think thats the responsible thing to do but most people throw away there dogs at first sight of problems and im just not one of those people. I will admit if i cant handle it then yes best thing is to place her elsewhere. I just need to lock my other dog up or send her to my fathers house for a couple hours each day and get some good 1 on 1 with her without my other dog.

#23 ·
I have to agree with what some others have said. I believe that it would be in the best interest of the pup to be placed elsewhere sooner rather than later before her current behaviours become learned.
Giving birth and having a newborn are huge milestones and will take up 100% of your time in the near future. You won't even have time to sleep, you certainly will not have the time to be training and correcting a puppy's behaviours.

#24 ·
I know there is no way I could have managed Coco as a puppy with a brand new baby. My kids were older and I still almost lost my mind with a puppy. My hubby got her as `his` dog and worked all kinds of shift work so she defaulted to my dog (which she totally is my dog now!) It was hard. It is also tough to have a newborn so I couldn`t imagine having both at the same time.

I wouldn`t look at it as failing if you rehome this puppy before the baby comes. It just seems that now may not be the time for a dobe puppy. Good luck in whatever you choose to do. :butfly:

#25 ·
I've just started an obedience class & the first hour we spent feeding highly desirable treats and saying 'good dog' - just so the dog would completely focus on us. It sounds as if your treats aren't important enough & your puppy is distracted. There have been a number of good suggestions (separate the dogs, tether the puppy to you) that you can try. (Be careful with the tethering if your balance is off!)

My kids are in their early 20s & I decided I wouldn't have the time & energy for a puppy - I know it's hard to give her up at this point, but if it doesn't work it would be good if you could consider re-homing your girl before your life gets critical. I've had Chanel for just over a month & she's an amazing dog - 4 1/2 years old, had prior training & is as mellow as can be. (Obedience training is for me - the dog is great but I haven't had one for 30 years & don't know what to do with a really smart dog.)
Kate

#27 ·
I guess its time to add my comments here. We also have a puppy..she is 12 weeks old and was born and raised here in our house/yard. It is possible to successfully raise pups with other dogs and or babies in the household, with some rules and a lot of attention. One of our rules is that the pup never goes outside without a drag line or harness and leash and a human close by, and the other dogs are very rarely allowed in the yard at the same time, and only for brief moments. In the house, Goldie is separated from the other dogs and from most of the house by combinations of cloth and wire xpens or closed doors with human companion. She is allowed in one room with humans and other dogs..but the other dogs are restricted to lying on the sofa. After many years with dobes, one very strict rule we have is to never chase the dog...lure and run away or distract is the only option. But, in addition, we are completely fenced, have dog runs, and live far from vehicular traffic. Whether or not you can successfully raise your dobe pup and a human baby totally depends on how you set up your time and space. If you find that you are getting irritable and depressed, it should give you a powerful message. Even with our arrangements, I need a time out for myself, and I still find myself irritable and annoyed when Goldie starts chewing on my shoelaces. She has tons of great toys...but a little hot sauce works great on the laces. We make every effort to distract rather than to correct. Look for something that your pup really loves as a treat...there must be something she can't resist...chicken breast or the Round Barn type salami style dog food found at feed stores, or ?. You are probably right about lack of early socialization, so that will require even more work to overcome, but if this is something really important to you, it can be done and there are people here who have lots of experience that will be willing to help. Raising a pup to be a good citizen is a huge task, even without a new baby....I'm certain that is the major concern of the folks on the forum.

#28 ·
Just one thing that hadn't been mentioned (I too vote rescue, but that's a personal choice and you have received plenty of advice)... You said in the training sessions you have tried, shes not particually responsive to treats. Some dogs aren't terribly food driven. Our puppy wasnt. But her red squeaky ball. Man, she's do a backflip if that was the reward. Find a reward she will work for if what you are using hasn't been working.

#29 ·
I should have added that although our puppies were socialized to the Max, they still loved the outside...and the more outside possible..when in the run they wanted in the in yard Xpen, and when in there they wanted out in the big yard, and then they went directly to the fence line...Its a very interesting world "out there" and although our pups were raised in the bedroom and the kitchen and massaged and cuddled all day long, they still loved outside and all the tastes and smells and sounds of nature....so it seems normal to me that your pup prefers to be outside...

#31 ·
I would have to echo some of the other comments, this is a dog from poor breeding, that you're having a hard time with now. As your dog gets older, he will be significantly harder to work with, especially with a newborn on the way. It will simply not be possible to spend the amount of time needed with your pup, with a newborn. Won't happen. I would consider rehoming while he is still young and easy to place, by contacting a local rescue. This is not failing, it's doing the responsible thing, and keeping your pups best interests in mind.

#32 ·
I agree with what everyone else has said. If you're feeling overwhelmed now, it's not going to get any easier for quite a while - and I'm not even factoring in you having a new baby too.

This puppy, all on her own, is not going to get easier for a while. So, imagine your frustration now...plus the adjustments and stress of being a new parent. Makes me cringe to imagine, quite honestly. I would contact a rescue for help finding her a new home.

I would have to echo some of the other comments, this is a dog from poor breeding, that you're having a hard time with now. As your dog gets older, he will be significantly harder to work with, especially with a newborn on the way. It will simply not be possible to spend the amount of time needed with your pup, with a newborn. Won't happen. I would consider rehoming while he is still young and easy to place, by contacting a local rescue. This is not failing, it's doing the responsible thing, and keeping your pups best interests in mind.
To the part I bolded: ABSOLUTELY!

#33 ·
I am going to echo what everyone else said. I would say its possible to do both but only if you already had a child and had an idea of what to already expect. You say this is your first child? On top of that adding a poorly bred high energy Doberman? That is under socialized. A pup that needs more work than a dobe pup that is from great breeding and socialized.

Rehome her, wait a few months, spend time with your child and get Used to having a baby around and once you get the hang of that find a rescue dobe older in age that does great with children. I think first time dobe owners do well with owning an adult first so that when they get a puppy later they have an idea how to raise them.

If she isn't socialize with humans in general I can't imagine what she might be like with a new born. She is still adjusting to her new home on top of the added emotions of a baby on the way and the emotions when they baby arrives. Wow, as a puppy that is from not so great breeding I can't imagine how that's going to feel.

#34 ·
I just want to add that the longer you wait, the harer it may be to find a home and the more bad habits she's going to develop. I believe it is in her best interst to rehome her now vs later.

#35 ·
Well thanks for the advice. She isnt a terrorist puppy and i actually left to do shopping today and came home and she wasnt barking at all. She isnt chewing on things. She knows the word No. She is doing terrific at potty training since she is getting used to going out at the same time as my other pooch. She isnt mouthing anymore. I guess with pregnancy the little things were getting to me. Which is understandable and i know everyone thinks its the best idea to rehome her but your figuring on me ALONE taking care of her and raising her. When i have a boyfriend who works with her and can tend to taking her out in the yard a couple times a day and draining her energy while i take care of the newborn and visa versa and spending time with training. I know a newborn is going to take up 90% of my time the first few months and this is where im glad to have a good boyfriend who loves animals that can take up my slack when im worn out. Its not impossible to raise her right just bit a little more difficult is all. If in 2 weeks i dont feel i can handle the situation or things get worse instead of better with working with her then i will consider the options of rehoming or rescue. I sat down last night with her and finally got her interested in the treats and she learned to sit within a matter of minutes. So it isnt like she isnt smart i think its more so she had to many distractions.

#38 ·
I know a newborn is going to take up 90% of my time the first few months and this is where im glad to have a good boyfriend who loves animals that can take up my slack when im worn out.
The problem with this thought is that when you're worn out, he will be taking up the slack with your BABY, not to mention helping you with all of the other tasks you're probably going to be do tired to do like the dishes, the laundry, the cleaning, the cooking, the groceries, etc.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.