Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Good Morning All-

I decided to buy a doberman and was just wondering if anyone had advice for my situation.

Currently I have a female Pit Bull named Laela and a one year old daughter. She has a very mild temperament, is good around other dogs and I think she will do fine with a male Doberman.

So I started doing research one breeders here in MN and the only one found was Kings Ransom. I did a little more research on this site and heard nothing good about them as breeders or the dogs they produce.

Does anyone know of a reputable breeder that is near to me? I would like to meet the pup before I commit so I don't want to have to travel far.

Thanks much-Cody

·
Got mutt?
13,763 Posts
I'd say that most good breeders would be very hesitant to place a Dobe puppy in a family with such a young child. Most Dobe pups are super high energy, and go through a "landshark" stage, where they chew on any and every thing they come across, including people.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'd say that most good breeders would be very hesitant to place a Dobe puppy in a family with such a young child. Most Dobe pups are super high energy, and go through a "landshark" stage, where they chew on any and every thing they come across, including people.

So you think it would be a bad fit altogether? Even if they are introduced both at such a young age? A doberman will chew on my daughter, that's what you are saying?

I got our Pit at the same time we had our baby with the same theory of them growing up together and it worked perfectly. You would know more than me, I am just wondering.

Attachments

·
Got mutt?
13,763 Posts
So you think it would be a bad fit altogether? Even if they are introduced both at such a young age? A doberman will chew on my daughter, that's what you are saying?

I think that you should wait until your daughter is older. At only a year old, she is still incredibly vulnerable to injury. A puppy, even if it is just playfully mouthing or jumping on her, could cause a serious injury. A pair of dogs playing could squash her flat. I've been knocked off my feet by a 50 pound dog when I was expecting the hit, and I'm considerably larger than a one year old.

I got our Pit at the same time we had our baby with the same theory of them growing up together and it worked perfectly. You would know more than me, I am just wondering.

I've never really understood the whole "them growing up together" thing. By the time the kid is old enough to really appreciate the dog, the dog is an older dog, and may even be in failing health.
I can't begin to imagine having a newborn baby and a young puppy. Both need an incredible amount of attention, and it would only take a moment's inattention to have a disaster on your hands. I had a hard enough time when my daughter was born and my dog at the time was 10 years old. Even at a year old, your Pittie is still very much a puppy, and your daughter still needs a ton of attention. Why would you want to add another puppy to the mix?

Reactions: dobedream

·
Registered
245 Posts
I think the real question is, are you willing to be able to give the dobie the exercise it needs along with having a young child? Dobies are great around kids if raised with them. I was raised with a brown dobie and miss him everyday. He was so gentle with me and my younger brothers. I think there a good choice for children, as long as u train them correctly and make sure ur daughter is friendly as well with the pup. Do u live in an apartment or do you have atleast a decent sized yard? If not, u will not be happy, i live on a 30 acre farm & even then, bells can still bounce off the wall. Your going to have to be dedicated to ur dobie. There so smart. All in all, if ur dedicated and have enough space, i say go for it! Its what u want and i think he'll bring u happiness

·
Banned
7,471 Posts
Since you raised a terrier with a baby(kudos....especially for being an APBT <3!), I would let the breeder know and just explain your situation. Many breeders and rescues are hesitant to place a powerful working breed puppy into a home with small kids, but this isn't your first rodeo and you seem confident. I would keep doing research and read some of the stories on here of people who have brought home pups while raising a baby, just so you have an idea of what to expect.

I'm glad you are open to learning about good breeders and I'm sure someone will chime in with a list of ethical breeders near you. A well bred puppy from a quality breeder will be worth the wait and more.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I think the real question is, are you willing to be able to give the dobie the exercise it needs along with having a young child? Dobies are great around kids if raised with them. I was raised with a brown dobie and miss him everyday. He was so gentle with me and my younger brothers. I think there a good choice for children, as long as u train them correctly and make sure ur daughter is friendly as well with the pup. Do u live in an apartment or do you have atleast a decent sized yard? If not, u will not be happy, i live on a 30 acre farm & even then, bells can still bounce off the wall. Your going to have to be dedicated to ur dobie. There so smart. All in all, if ur dedicated and have enough space, i say go for it! Its what u want and i think he'll bring u happiness
I raised a puppy along with a newborn and it was challenging but it went well and we never had a problem or even a concern that she would harm our baby. We live in a house in town, have a hunting cabin further north and will have plenty of spaces he will be able to get out an exercise.

To reply to the person who posted before this one, I don't have a doubt that i can train the puppy and my daughter that's not really the question. The only concern i have is you trying to dissuade me from buying a doberman because you said they will chew on her. I've read quite a bit on how they are a good family dog if raised correctly. Did you have a bad experience with a doberman and a puppy or heard stories of dogs chewing on infants>? Not that it really matters but I attached a few pictures of the two when they were both very young- i just thought her still being young i could have the same kind of experience with a doberman pup.

Also, back to one of my original questions, if anyone knows of a good breeder near MN i would appreciate it. Then i can talk to them directly about their specific temperament of pups and get their opinion on if they would be a good fit for my situation.

Attachments

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Since you raised a terrier with a baby(kudos....especially for being an APBT <3!), I would let the breeder know and just explain your situation. Many breeders and rescues are hesitant to place a powerful working breed puppy into a home with small kids, but this isn't your first rodeo and you seem confident. I would keep doing research and read some of the stories on here of people who have brought home pups while raising a baby, just so you have an idea of what to expect.

I'm glad you are open to learning about good breeders and I'm sure someone will chime in with a list of ethical breeders near you. A well bred puppy from a quality breeder will be worth the wait and more.
Thank you i appreciate the positive response.

·
Go Dog Go
606 Posts
You should check out the puppy section & read all the chewing/nibbling,biting articles. Dobe puppies are frequently referred to as landsharks. It sounds as if teething can last a long time & takes a ton of work.

It's not that they will specifically attack your dd, it's that they'll chew on everything.
Kate

·
Got mutt?
13,763 Posts
Reactions: dobedream

·
u mad?
6,476 Posts
As for breeders in MN I cannot off the top of my head think of any that have been recommended here. That doesn't mean that there are none... I just can't think of any. You may need to travel to another state.

The DPCA breeder referral list is a great place to start but keep in mind that it's not the end-all-be-all of breeders and there are breeders on that list that a doberman-person would not support.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I don't recall saying that Dobes are bad with kids. However, you might want to check these out. www.dobermantalk.com/puppy-corner/69531-biting-chewing.html www.dobermantalk.com/puppy-corner/64722-tried-everything-but-puppy-wont-stop-biting-chewing.html These are just a couple of many threads about puppy chewing.

Thank you for the links i will take a look at them- I never expected that training a pup would be a walk in the park. I just cant imagine the teething stage would be much different than the Pit. I will read up on it non the less- thanks again for the suggestions.

·
Registered
6,938 Posts
It's not just the dobershark stage...it's the run through the house at top speed running into things, crashing and sliding knocking everything down. It's the never ending energy, insatiable curiosity and puppy mayhem. And the chew chew gnaw rip tear shred drag around activities that you have to deal with. Do I wish I had gotten another breed?.....NO.

They are so worth it..... :D

·
Banned
7,471 Posts
Cody, you could also look into an older pup or a breeder re-home. I took my male home at 5 months and he was already crate, house, and leash trained and used to a dremel and having his ears posted. He was never mouthy and has never tried to chew on me or any person. It was a breeze raising him thanks to his great start in life from the breeder.

There are also many purebred, kid- friendly homeless Dobermans in rescue. Many people have negative stigmas about rescue dogs but so many of the dogs are in rescue at no fault of their own, many were once loved family pets who just happen to be victims of their owners lack of commitment. I am 26 and have been in dog rescue for 6 years and have met and fostered countless wonderful rescue dogs. The German Shepherd in I Am Legend was a shelter dog and look how amazing she is!!

·
Small Handful of Woman
1,783 Posts
Cody, you could also look into an older pup or a breeder re-home. I took my male home at 5 months and he was already crate, house, and leash trained and used to a dremel and having his ears posted. He was never mouthy and has never tried to chew on me or any person. It was a breeze raising him thanks to his great start in life from the breeder.

There are also many purebred, kid- friendly homeless Dobermans in rescue. Many people have negative stigmas about rescue dogs but so many of the dogs are in rescue at no fault of their own, many were once loved family pets who just happen to be victims of their owners lack of commitment. I am 26 and have been in dog rescue for 6 years and have met and fostered countless wonderful rescue dogs. The German Shepherd in I Am Legend was a shelter dog and look how amazing she is!!
I think this is a fantastic idea ^^^
Our girl came to us at 12 months old, and was past the landshark phase, thank goodness.
I have two boys, the youngest is 4 years old.
They've been jumped on, sat on, stepped on, pawed, knocked down, and licked all over. Well-loved, in Dobe terms!
I would have had a nervous breakdown if they were any younger and less sturdy.
But if you are made of sterner stuff than I, go for it. Our girl is second mother to her human "puppies" and I don't know what I would do without her :)

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #16

I know this can work for many people as you are a success story i just hate the idea of not being the one that trained him from the time he was separated from his mother. I just get such a better feel for their little quirks and personalities knowing them from a pup. I dont want to be surprised by something i didn't know about a rescue especially with my daughter always being around. i know you can never know everything about what a dog is going to do i just feel much more at ease when it was me who trained them from the beginning.- Also, and maybe you can shed some light on this as well- but i read that they become very attached to one owner, kind of see the one person as the head of the house. How does that come into play when they are raised, trained, then put into a different environment with a new master?

·
Premium Member
7,375 Posts
They bond to whoever is their family in about a month. I've gotten older puppies, rescued a 2 yr old male Doberman several years ago. Whatever age dog that comes here, he/she is a family member in about 1 month.

In your case I would think a slightly older puppy would be good fit in that it would be housetrained but could also grow up with your daughter. It really depends on how much sleep you really need!

The 2 yr old I adopted got turned in because the family had a toddler, a newborn and never trained him. He did not know how to sit, walk on a leash, basically nothing except he was potty trained. He would plow their children over...well, duh! People forget that Doberman males are full sized by 1 yr of age and need basic manners early on, like any dog. Those breeds with size and strength need house manners taught while still young and small. They can be taught later but you have to have patience and strength to work with an 85# dog

·
sweep the leg
1,016 Posts
My pup is 4 months old, my kids are 8 & 6. I am SOOOO glad my children are old enough to handle the crazy energy this dobe pup has! Dobe's go thru the "zoomies", chart-topping bursts of energy that send them flying around in all directions. My Remy has the zoomies in the morning and evening and in between is either calm and content or napping. It's not a training thing - it's just what they do. We had a slumber party over the weekend and had two 3 year old girls here. Remy bowled them over repeatedly and ultimately had to be completely seperated from the action. She fed off the kid's energy and was excited beyond control. Kids were sent flying when she ran thru them, like bowling for toddlers! The teething/mouthing is a whole 'nother issue. Nothing feels as good in a puppy's baby teeth as a plump kid's tush running thru the house. Trust me...

I have never had a pit so can't say how a Dobe pup would compare. But as a parent I would without a doubt suggest waiting. Puppies, and older dogs, will bond to their families no matter what age they or the kids are.

·
Registered
101 Posts
I have a 2 year old little girl and brought Tank home at 9 weeks and he is now 8 months old. I have not had any problems and trust Tank fully around my little girl. There have been a few times where he got playing and has knocked her over, with nothing more then a few tears. They are both at the age now where she can yell NO or Leave IT at Tank and he will listen. It is a handful at times with both of them but I knew what i was getting into and its been well worth it.

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
21,679 Posts
The only breeder I would bother contacting in Minnesota is Karen Beskau at Rio Gran. Do your due diligence and ask about all the relevant health testing, of course (if you aren't familiar with the health risks in Dobermans let us know so we can help you with that...this is NOT a healthy breed). She's active in showing her dogs. I don't have any personal experience with Rio Gran other than knowing several happy owners through the local rescue group.

You could also contact Mandy at Jaimand Dobermans. She's up in North Dakota. Another nice person (helps with rescue, too) who is showing her dogs. Again, no personal experience with her dogs, but she appears to be doing things right.

If you are willing to go a bit farther there are some great breeders in Illinois/Michigan/Wisconsin.

Welcome to the forum! What part of MN are you in? There are quite a few Doberman owners here in the Twin Cities.

Reactions: dobedream and CodyM
1 - 20 of 24 Posts