Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello....Im Kayla and I am new to the forum!
I am wanting to know if anyone is or knows a good breeder in MI, IL, IN, OH??
I am looking to get a red or a fawn male and I am hoping to get one about may/june! I would LOVE to adopt but unfortunatly there are no Dobies in shelters by me (Thank goodness obviously tho!):)
Thank you all for the advise!
Kayla

·
Registered
4,705 Posts
First, welcome to DT!

In Michigan: Gorrmae, Lyndobe, Mi-Cher
In Indiana: Windsong, Cambria

They all have websites, except for maybe Cheryl (Mi-Cher) just use google

These are just the breeders that I either know personally, or in the case of Lori (Gorrmae), I have met her once, but she has a top notch reputation --- I also really like her dogs.

The only one of these breeders that you might possibly get a Fawn from is Cambria. I do know they occasionally have a fawn pup or 2. The rest avoid Fawn because of coat problems.

Good Luck with your search.

ETA: I just realized that you are in Berrien County, so am I! Where are you in Berrien County?

·
Registered
625 Posts

·
Registered
4,705 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks everyone!! Avianantcs...im from Baroda and I work at Pawmart in St. Joe!!!!
I will check out these breeders!!:D

·
Registered
4,705 Posts
Thanks everyone!! Avianantcs...im from Baroda and I work at Pawmart in St. Joe!!!!
I will check out these breeders!!:D
Well then we have probably met, informally. I frequent Paw Mart for Toys.
I live out off of M63, North of the Whirlpool Tech Center in Hagar Shores, near DiMaggio's.

I'd be happy to bring Wheeler in so you can meet him, just PM me and let me know when you are working.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Avian that would be awesome!!! I would love to see him! I actually work today 1-9 and sunday 12-6! I just started on this site and I have no idea how to PM lol.
I have a couple of customers who have dobies and I have been trying to find a great breeder that will work with me because I want to get a pup around may/june time!

·
Registered
4,705 Posts
Avian that would be awesome!!! I would love to see him! I actually work today 1-9 and sunday 12-6! I just started on this site and I have no idea how to PM lol.
I have a couple of customers who have dobies and I have been trying to find a great breeder that will work with me because I want to get a pup around may/june time!
I actually need to run into town today and pick up some things at Martin's. I will bring Wheeler with me, stop by and say hello.

·
Dobes stole my heart <3
3,418 Posts
Im another Michigander, but I wont recommend my breeder, as I dont feel she does enough thorough health testing on her dogs, and she does not show them. I was a misinformed buyer when I got my 2 dogs, but I am hoping things work out in the end.
I have however seen lots of photos of the Lyndobe dogs, as well as seeing Wheeler on the forum, who I think is a gorgeous dog! I also had a chance encounter with another of Lyndobe's dogs once when I was returning from my dr office. I walked out to my car and saw a guy with a doberman, being the breed lover I am I asked if he was friendly and a conversation ensued. His dog was a Lyndobe boy and was absolutely beautiful. I dont know what colors she breeds, but I am sure that a puppy from her would be an excellent choice.
I have a red girl and she is a real sweetheart, cuddly, goofy, and at present 68 lbs at almost 1 year.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Ohhhh ya!!! Cant wait to see wheeler today!!!!
I actually tryed Lyndobe and she wouldnt sell me a puppy for 2 reasons:
1.) I have never owned a dobie (I have owned many dogs in my life and have trained the last 2 dogs that I have!!
2.) I wont have a fenced in yard at my dads house when I move there. Which I think is just rediculous because I know plenty of dobie owners and they dont have a fenced in yard and they take their animals for walks, hikes, or play time many times throughout the day!! So I just think that was a bit rude! But whatever I guess!
Thanks everyone....I have felt really welcome here!:D

·
Registered
4,705 Posts
I know that Lynne is absolutely insistent on a fenced yard or area, so that would definitely be a no deal kind of thing. The fact that you have never owned a Dobe before really wouldn't have made much difference, if you had a fenced yard.

The reality is, if you want a healthy, well socialized puppy from a reputable breeder, or even a rescue organization, you will find that they won't let a puppy go without a fenced yard or area. Honestly, there is not much point in contacting any of the breeders mentioned here, unless you have a fenced yard or area for your puppy.

I don't think that is rude. That is, IMO responsible. It is not always possible to walk, exercise, etc. A fenced yard or area is truly necessary, particularly here in Michigan, with all the wildlife. Real easy for a dog to chase a deer (or the Coyote living on our property) and get in trouble.

When I started looking for my boy, I didn't have a fenced yard either. We live on 5 wooded acres and had no need for a fence. However, since I bred Aussies years ago, and I wouldn't place puppies without a fenced yard, I fenced an area. So, I could honestly tell breeders that I did have a securely fenced area for the dog. Nope, I don't have a fenced yard, but I do have a fenced area, off the back of the house that Wheeler has access to through a doggie door 24/7.

It is just the way it is, and I would be very leery of a breeder that would let a Dobe pup go without a fenced yard. That would tell me that the breeder's (and I use the term loosely), only concern is money. Which probably means that the parents haven't been health tested, pups is probably sold uncropped, etc.

While it may seem unfair and while most of us know people with dog(s) and no fenced yard, that do just fine. There are many, many, many not so fortunate dogs that meet an untimely demise because of the lack of a fence. (I worked for a vet for many years and have first hand knowledge of this).

Don't take it personally because it has nothing to do with you and everything to do with the breeders concern for the safety of their puppy. Thus, you may want to re-think the fence thing and do as I did... fence an area. (I bought chain link fence panels from Lowe's and for about $300 installed a secure fenced area).

Looking forward to meeting you this afternoon!

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I have a fenced in yard here at my moms but in a few months I am moving to go to school at my dads in the U.P. and I was wanting to take a dobie with me. I know they require fencing and all but sometimes its not in the budget or its not allowed. (My dad doesnt want a fence because the area he is at doesnt really have room for a fence). I would like to adopt but there are none by me that have puppies....

·
Registered
4,705 Posts
I understand. We hear about the fence issue with some regularity here on DT. People turned down by breeders and rescues due to no fence. Many are insulted, but truly it is simply concern for the dogs welfare.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I totally understand! I mean he will have a fence for quite a few months before I go to my dads...maybe by then I can convince my dad about maybe just getting a run? IDK tho...
Look forward to see you and your handsome man soon!!!! :D

·
_______
5,102 Posts
I totally understand! I mean he will have a fence for quite a few months before I go to my dads...maybe by then I can convince my dad about maybe just getting a run? IDK tho...
Look forward to see you and your handsome man soon!!!! :D
Don't be offended by the fence thing. I'm sure due to their experiences breeders have by been burned not insisting on fenced in yards.

Lynne was kind enough to answer a vet rec query for me when we were fighting w/allergies- the same day(!) and she doesn't even know me from Adam.
AND she asked for an update.
I thought that was really nice.

ps. fences don't need to be horribly expensive to put up, just hire to have posts dug/set & do the rest yourself w/a nail gun.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts