Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4,169 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been doing some serious research trying to find the best method or combination of methods in which to pursue my training aspirations with Chi.
I'm getting better responses and making much progress using mostly just common sense and positive reinforcement so this is where we'll stay until or unless we have to change :)
But in my research I came across this site and this particular essay on how the idea of clicker training "clicked" with author Sue Ailsby... Thought I'd share both :)

http://www.shirleychong.com/keepers/archives/teeth.txt - A Crateful of Teeth

http://www.shirleychong.com is proving to be an invaluable source of info with tons of tips and "lessons". We had a blast yesterday working on the Doggy Zen lesson. The result of just a few minutes of this, she doesn't go crazy with excitement when I walk toward the treat cabinet (yes an entire cabinet is set aside for the treats ;-) and takes them much nicer when they are offered.
Now since Chi can be quite persistent when we are both on the couch and can be even annoying at times, I decided to work on "Ignoring is Bliss" while we watched our show and have to say that by the time the show really got going Chi figured out that she got attention when she was laying down on the floor in front of me or in her bean bag chair. My very skeptical hubby was wicked impressed. At first he kept telling me "she knows you have treats, she'll never lay down...." Then he'd gently push her off the couch and do his best to ignore her (per my instruction) and shoot me a dirty look. "We'll never get to watch this show, she's going to drive us nuts". Ha! We showed him :) The result: We were able to watch the show without her doing everything in her power to get attention. We had been reinforcing her behavior of nudging us, bouncing and trying to lie on top of us when we caved in and coddled her. By treating her only when she was calm and quiet and lieing down and then ignoring the other behaviors she learned quickly what we wanted and what got her what she wanted.
I love this couch training! We all know the couch is the favorite spot in this house LOL.
Hope you all enjoy this site and article as much as we have :)

·
Registered
6,589 Posts
Wow I am going to look at it right now!! That is my biggest peeve with Lex! She never leaves us alone on the couch! I can tell her to go platz, and I get a dirty look from her and she will go to her bed and platz. But not in a happy frame of mind at all. And she will come back out every half hour or so to "check" and see if mom loves her again or not!

·
Registered
1,327 Posts
I will also be checking those links out! With Gracie, if we tell her to go lay down she will with out a problem for the most part. Are problem when we tell her that at night she gets right up on the couch which is no big deal. But when we are on the couch and we have company over and we tell her to go lay down she gets on the couch and tries to push you off so she can lay down. Lol.

·
Registered
281 Posts
oh must have missed this post somehow ..great article Started Harvey on doing the push ups (sit, wait, sit wait) he looks at me like im a crazy woman ..but hey hes earningthe cuddles now :D

·
Pack Leader
1,551 Posts
Dont know how I missed this thread too. Thanks for the link I will be checking that site out for sure.

TD

P.S. Heros Mom I just missed you in chat!

[Doberman Talk]: Hero's Mom has entered at 1:33 pm
[Hero's Mom] 1:34 pm: Hi
[Hero's Mom] 1:37 pm: Are you there? I have been hoping someone would be on here. I'm working at my FIL's business and thought i'd stop in .
[Hero's Mom] 1:38 pm: Well shoot. Talk to you later.
[TakirasDad] 1:38 pm: Hi!!
[TakirasDad] 1:39 pm: Sorry, was away from my desk
[Doberman Talk]: Hero's Mom has left at 1:39 pm

1 - 7 of 7 Posts