Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
One Lucky Mama!
892 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Let me preface this by saying I am working with my vet on this issue. I wanted to see if anyone had any other suggestions/thoughts.

As some of you know, I recently began allowing Zeus to chew on raw meaty marrow bones to help clean up his teeth.*
(*We had a scare a couple of months ago when he had a knuckle bone and it resulted in several e-vet/vet visits, fluids, anti-nausea and laxative treatment for a week and half. After this I vowed to not let him chew on any more bones, but his teeth started going to hell. My vet and I agreed to let him chew on raw meaty marrow bones, under supervision, to see if this would help.)
This was very successful and his teeth are now sparkly clean. However, I noticed several weeks ago the day after chewing one of these bones Zeus was nauseous and had crumbly poop. I immediately put him on a regiment of "pumpkin soup" where I mixed three tablespoons of pumpkin with four cups of water for him to drink three times a day to help keep him hydrated, reduced his ration and gave him several small meals throughout the day. By the next day his bowels were back to normal, but he was still nauseous and not himself. I continued this regiment for a few more days, and while he was urinating and defecating normally, he still was "off" and nauseous.

We then went to the vet and she palpated him and gave him the once over. She did not think he had an obstruction and did not feel anything else in his gut to make her concerned. She placed him on an anti-nausea medication, told me to stop the pumpkin and continue the several small meals throughout the day. I was to return if he did not improve. I brought him to our KPA Workshop over the next two days and all the other participants agreed he looked off - again, still normal urination and defecating, but nauseous. He would train and play, but not with his same vigor. He went back to the vet the next day and they did x-rays and bloodwork - everything came back normal. They palpated him again, looked down his throat and gave him another once over - everything appeared fine except, of course, his nausea and "offness". We had finished the anti-nausea medication, so the vet then suggested trying Pepcid to see if that would help calm his stomach. If he wasn't improved in a couple days, we would have to go back.

Zeus is now more active, but is still nauseous. Worst yet, his breath has gone to hell. I mean it is vile, dry heaving kind of vile. My vet is out of town until next week, but she is still in contact with me via email. She wants him to see the practice's internist if he doesn't improve by Thursday. Her thoughts are perhaps there is an abcess in his throat, or something in his stomach that was not picked up by the x-ray. Given that his teeth look so good and the breath thing is new, she is thinking the smell is originating in his stomach as opposed to his mouth. All-in-all, not good. :(

Zeus is 6 1/2 years old, has a history of allergies, is on tick/flea/heartworm preventative and eats Wellness Core. His eyes are bright, nose moist and he is in good body condition.

Does anyone have any thoughts/suggestions? Even an idea of where I could start looking for answers would be helpful at this point. My poor boy. :(

·
Luv-The-Nub
1,058 Posts
ENDOSCOPY! I'm sorry you both are going through this, its scary when they cant talk and we dont know whats wrong :( I would not wait, go ahead and see the internist. Also, have you had bloodwork (liver, kidneys, etc) done recently?

Reactions: Zeusy Boy's Mama

·
One Lucky Mama!
892 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
By nauseous I mean he is streaming drool and make a b-line for grass when we are outside. No dry heaving, gagging or vomitting. He will follow me into the bathroom, and just stand there while the drool pours out of his mouth. When he is sleeping he has big drool patches where he was resting his head.

The vet just checked his teeth last month and did another check this week. Due to his age and sensitivity to EVERYTHING, and I mean everything, the vet and I are both concerned about putting him under to do a full fledge dental. However if we do need an endoscopy he will have to go under regardless. Our main concern is that he will have a major reaction to the anesthesia or just plain not wake up. It just doesn't sound good either way.

They checked all of his levels on Friday. Everything was normal. His pancreatic levels were actually a little on the low side, but the vet said this was not a concern.

He will be going to see the internist on Thursday, hopefully they can figure this out. I have only had him for 2 years, I am not ready for him to have life-threatening medical stuff yet. :(

·
Registered
7,613 Posts
Awe, poor Zeus! Sorry, no experience with that but I hope they figure it out and he feels better soon.

·
One Lucky Mama!
892 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Maybe a nasal abscess??

Is there any visible swelling of his face or discharge from his nose?
No. His face doesn't seem swollen and there is not discharge from his nose. His face, nose, mouth, gums and teeth are not tender either - he let me poke all around. He is much more active today, was able to play a couple of times and his training went well. I still don't think he is 100% though in the vigor department. He is still drooling and again his breath is AWFUL! Hopefully we can get to the bottom of this on Thursday. If something is indeed stuck or there is an abcess somewhere, I want to get it rectified right away, especially since his symptoms started so long ago at this point. My poor baby boy.

Reactions: eegreen and melbrod
1 - 8 of 8 Posts