Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2,264 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Nature's Variety Instinct: Limited Ingredient Diet: Lamb Meal Formula for dogs | Nature's Variety

So I have been doing a lot of research on kibble, trying to find one that Odin can eat and I have come across this brand. I will be feeding kibble in the morning and RAW and night. He is allergic to Beta Carotene so he can't have anything like sweet potatoes, carrots, squash, pumpkin. And a lot of the good dog foods has those in their ingredients.

Wanted to know what other people thought of this formula

He is on purina pro plan and so far doing okay, he has acquired more plaque on his teeth, his gas has gone down by a lot and when he does have gas you don't even smell it. He has been itching a little more than usual but I just gave him a bath to see if it was just because he was dirty.

·
Like a Ninja
3,916 Posts
I LOVE LOVE LOVE LID: Lamb!

Jones has small poops, no gas, and his coat still looks great. I didn't by lamb this last time I got rabbit (don't like it as much, but it has chicken fat, and I should have known better)

For reference Jones doesn't do well with: Grains and chicken.

The only reason I got the rabbit formula is because it was way down the list so I didn't think it would be an issue. He's got gas now but that is about it.

But long story short I would recommend Nature's Variety LID: Lamb

·
Registered
2,264 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah my last Doberman was on Nature's Variety and did really good. I thought Odin would be okay but I there was a lot of foods in the formula that were high in Beta carotene so he had the worst reaction to NV over other food. But this Limited Ingredient formula seems to have a little more than some of the other brands like FirstMate and California Natural.

·
Registered
16,037 Posts
Jonesy's Mom, meat allergies are a reaction to the meat protein. Animal fats are okay to feed as they dont contain protein. Makes it a whole lot easier to find foods your dog can eat after knowing that.

·
Registered
2,264 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The NV Rabbit meat comes from China.

Lamb isn't meant to be fed long term from what I have read.
They have a turkey version as well.

·
Registered
16,037 Posts
The rabbit in the NVI raw and canned comes from China, with onsite NV quality control, or similar, person. Then rabbit is tested once it gets here. The rabbit meal in the NVI kibble comes from France. ///// Lamb will not build muscle in a growing pup as per the great dane lady.

·
Like a Ninja
3,916 Posts
Jonesy's Mom, meat allergies are a reaction to the meat protein. Animal fats are okay to feed as they dont contain protein. Makes it a whole lot easier to find foods your dog can eat after knowing that.
Well I didn't know that.

But as far as the difference between lamb vs rabbit the only difference is lamb no farts, rabbit stinky farts... poops still good, but farts could be from switching formula's I guess.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts