Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all! I am having an issue with one of my pup's natural inner folds. He's 6 1/2 months old so I've been posting his ears since he got them cropped at 8 weeks and they are (imo) almost ready to say goodbye to the posts. The cartilage has firmed up nicely, although they still tend to flop a little which is normal, and his muscles have strengthened so when he is alert each ear is at a perfect 90 degree stand, they are beautiful (long crop).

With all that being said, I'm having a VERY difficult time getting the little inner fold of his right ear to stay tucked in and symmetric to the left one. Looking him straight on in the face one ear looks perfect, and the other one has a small curvature right above the head where the fold is, because it's not staying folded. I am speculating it could be when I first started posting I had no prior experience, and maybe taped it the wrong way the first few times. But the fold is skin, not cartilage so I figured after I got the hang of it and started doing it correctly (5/8 inch backer rod, taping inward over the fold as not to straighten it out) it would correct itself over time. It seems to be a little better, but it's just not where it needs to be and it's driving me insane after so much work has gone into these ears.

I have been using a tiny dot of superglue (which I have researched is not harmful for topical use as surgeons used to use it during the days of Vietnam, but could cause skin irritation and dryness...he's had no allergic reaction to it) on the little fold and it will hold and match the left one perfectly. I would hate to keep posting him just for something as minor as this, he is so tired of the posts, and I am tired of it too....I would never do another long crop. Is this something that will fix itself over time? Has anyone else has similar issues? I don't think the skin is asymmetric because when it's bonded all the curves and fur patterns match. Did I screw it up? Is it too late or is more taping over it needed? I have ordered skin bond that is MADE to go on skin on the way and remover, but is it even needed? He's so close to being done. Thanks for your help!

·
Registered
1,996 Posts
I think you're worrying WAY to much.

And honestly who cares if one ear has a tiny bend? No one is going to notice. My boys ears are far from perfect. They stand straight but the left one curves out more than the other. No one notices! He also has a long show crop. I don't even notice 95% of the time. Your dogs ears are going to be in airplane mode 60% of the time anyways. They aren't always going to stand perfect. Once you stop posting they are going to set a certain way anyways.

Just take a breathe and accept it. Also stop putting super glue on your dog! That's completely ridiculous.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Good lord. All I was trying to find out is if people have ever had something similar happen and if it resolves naturally or is the final result of an initial poor tape job. I promise I'm not biting my nails, pulling my hair out, or losing sleep over a little piece of skin.

Not only did you waste your time writing an unhelpful answer but I wasted my time reading it. Calm down and don't be rude. Go pick a fight on someone else's thread. I believe after investing so much time, energy, and money into an animal I have every right to try and fix something if I can. Don't worry, the tiny pinhead size spot of glue is not causing the dog any kind of discomfort. I wonder if he even knows it's there since it dries up and falls off every few hours or trying to hold the skin in the right position until the skin bond gets here. And trust me...it's a lot stickier than superglue. Don't be rude to people. Just some friendly advice.

·
Got mutt?
Leo, Lily, and Simon
13,949 Posts
Oh, good grief....

If you insist on using superglue, at least use the medical grade stuff.

·
Registered
2,803 Posts
Can you post pictures? We cant help you if we cannot see what is happening. A crease could just be the natural was the ear is going to stand, a pocket, or ear leather that is not strong enough.

We also need to know, what crop does your pup have? Short, medium, show? At 6 months, you may only be half way done with postings. Some dogs stay in posts until they reach 13 months old.

Also, Superglue is not great, it can cause irritation which can turn into a sore, and you will have to take a break in posting until the sore is healed, and that can set you back or even cause a crop/flop.

·
Premium Member
10,569 Posts
I'm not going to touch the "super glue" issue at all. The superglue that is still used for certain surgical applications is chemically pretty much the same as the super glue that you might buy at an auto parts store to stick a bullseye lens on the side mirrors of your car.

But for general information--dogs and their ears are not necessarily completely symmetrical. If you look at a dog whose ears are not cropped you'll see that the fold that you are talking about is frequently different looking from one side compared to the other.

Ditto for dogs whose ears are not cropped but upright.

And ditto again for a cropped dog and their ear folds. I have a 9.5 year old with a very long show crop. The fold on his left ear does not lie as flat as the right ear fold does--I doubt that any judge ever noticed. I knew they were different when I was taping them 9 years ago. But practically every dog I've ever posted ears on has had some minor difference between one ear and the other--often it has involved the fold.

My other dog is 2 with a medium crop--the fold on the left ear, in his case, is wider than on the right ear but the fold on the right ear folds a full 1/2" further up the ear than the one on the left. Again, I seriously doubt that anyone other than me has ever noticed this.

You can try gluing it--and I don't think that it will change things much--I can remember puppies whose folds were enough different that I would go to some trouble to tape them so they matched but when it was all said and done by the time their ears were standing I would look at the folds and find that they had reverted to the original not quite matching folded position.

I doubt that your trying to flatten the fold the wrong way and taping it that way had anything to do with the manner it presently folds.

·
Big Lil pup
6,729 Posts
What is with the "super glue" hoopla today!?! Currently is is called "liquid bandage". It is available for both human and canine usage. You can use it to cover an open wound, bind a small incision, or, as I do, adhere mole foam to the tips of the ears after posting is complete.

MD's and DMV's use skin glue (super glue, skin bandage) ALL the time. It is a well accepted medical practice, Often preferable to sutures, bandages, or staples.

There is nothing wrong with the product. Any excess can be removed by applying more and wiping it off.

One caveat: Keep it away from eyes and mucous membranes. But, if you read the labels you would know that...

1 - 8 of 8 Posts