Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2,637 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I wanted to share my experience with this dog food, as I'm not sure if others are having this same problem and have considered themselves crazy over it. We figured it out pretty quickly when we had Jolt, but we're experiencing it again for a second time with Rush.

Natural Balance makes some dogs smell like cat pee or ammonia - I'm not really sure how or why, but if your pup starts to smell like it make sure you're checking your food. We had to switch Jolt off of it when he started smelling that way and it went away as soon as it was out of his system.

We switched Monster back on to it after he passed, because she does great on the food.. but now that Rush is here, she smells like cat pee, too. Now I finally have an opportunity to show my feed store exactly what I'm talking about. They gave me that "Lady, you're crazy." look when I mentioned Jolt's issues to them - but it definitely happens.

Just wanted to share this experience with you guys! I've had this issue with any flavor of the grain-free food.

I don't know that it's necessarily anything to worry about, but I definitely wanted to make sure others know it isn't just them and they aren't crazy if they've had this problem, too.

Reactions: Beaumont67

·
Banned
7,471 Posts
Hm. Never had a problem with it, I've fed the grain free varieties to most of my fosters and my parent's dogs and cats are all on NB with no problems.

You're crazy! jk ;)

·
Registered
2,637 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
lol, I thought I was after Jolt, don't worry about that. I thought maybe I was just imagining things and that maybe one of our cats was peeing in his bed or something - but when we switched him, it went away. Didn't really think twice about switching back because I figured it was just some weird freak occurrence - but now Rush smells like it, too. And there are quite a few more web results for "Natural Balance makes my dog smell like cat pee" now. :p

·
Registered
4,681 Posts
Weird. I feed it to 3 of my dogs. I usually feed the venison, sometimes I do chicken. None of the dogs smell like cat pee. LOL.

lol, I thought I was after Jolt, don't worry about that. I thought maybe I was just imagining things and that maybe one of our cats was peeing in his bed or something - but when we switched him, it went away. Didn't really think twice about switching back because I figured it was just some weird freak occurrence - but now Rush smells like it, too. And there are quite a few more web results for "Natural Balance makes my dog smell like cat pee" now. :p

·
Registered
2,637 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Weird. I feed it to 3 of my dogs. I usually feed the venison, sometimes I do chicken. None of the dogs smell like cat pee. LOL.
Monster does fine on it, but apparently border collie mixes don't - at least my 2 didn't. We've tried all of the different types, and all with the same result: ammonia/cat pee smell.

·
Get the bunnies!
7,024 Posts
LOL that's so gross! I wonder why it happens?

Elsie just does gross smelling farts if she has orijen...

·
Registered
337 Posts
I've been noticing a pee smell in my house, but haven't been able to pinpoint a source. Maybe I should try a different food. I've been feeding NB because of the low protein needed for Axel's condition.

·
Registered
687 Posts
I tried the bison and sweet potato formula of NB. It caused my Dobe to poop 4 times a day instead of his normal two times per day. Plus, his stools had much more volume than any other holistic kibble I tried. I stopped feeding it to him.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts