Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
826 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am thinking of flying over for this years nationals from Australia.

Silly question but do I have to buy tickets? Anyone know of any good places to stay (no dogs with me).

Thanks so much for the help in advance

·
Sea Hag
12,933 Posts
I am thinking of flying over for this years nationals from Australia.

Silly question but do I have to buy tickets? Anyone know of any good places to stay (no dogs with me).

Thanks so much for the help in advance
There's a host hotel. I won't stay there, this year in particular, but it's certainly the most convenient option to stay right on the site where everything goes on.

There's a super 8 motel right down the street from the host hotel. I was going to stay there, but changed my mind and am now staying at a nearby hilton (6 miles away). Right around the Hilton there's the whole gamut of major chain hotels, so you can pick your poison...they're all right near the Cincinnati airport, which is where you'd fly into.

National information is on the DPCA website. No charge or tickets needed for the shows. If you want to attend any of the seminars, you have to pay for it. The same for the rescue/health benefit, you need tickets for that.

·
Premium Member
8,764 Posts
Murreydobe gave great info!

I'm staying at the host hotel - arriving Tuesday night - but I do have dogs. If you don't have a dog, tell them and the room might be a bit nicer. I stayed there the last time they had a national there and while the room was not fancy, it was clean. It has recently been sold so it will be interesting to see if they are going to make some changes/improvements

The super 8 is right next door - it would almost be like staying right there. I have no idea how the hotel itself is.

·
Premium Member
7,375 Posts
I am staying at the Super 8...look me up if you miss dog walking and you can borrow mine!

By the end of my last Nationals at Ft Mitchell, my 2 dogs were doing zoomies on lead and
slamming each other with paws with pent up energy. I am praying we do not have the mud fest on the show grounds like in 2009.

·
Registered
826 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Great thanks all.

I'd be happy to walk your dogs, if you trust me :) looking forward to meeting people and seeing as many dobes as I can. Its my first time out of Australia and I'm only going for dobes.. my friends think I'm bonkers..

Anyone entered?

·
Premium Member
8,764 Posts
I plan on entering Jezebel in Futurity as she is nominated, and then show her in the 6-9 month AOAC class. Not paying a handler $500 to show her - so it will be me in the ring.

·
Premium Member
7,375 Posts
I am doing obedience, auditing the obedience seminar, maybe a day of agility.

Agility is off site this year, as the "hollow" was a mud pit in 2009.

I hope to get Cheers into that free heart study with free echo, holter, etc. She'll be 6 in October, so definitely qualifies.

·
Registered
826 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Awesome! are there programs at the door or?

I'll be yelling out DT screen names no doubt if not :p

Jezebel, love the name, same as my youngest! definetely suits a dobe.

Have no dobes that do obedience or agility in my City so will be great to see them in action!

How cold do you think it will be at that time of year?

·
Premium Member
7,375 Posts
It can be chilly at night, but usually warms up midday. This is a beautiful time of year for Kentucky- the leaves are turning, all the fall colors are out. It can be rainy and cold, then clear up and be lovely. Humidity usually is gone by then, too.

I always bring a medium jacket, a couple fleeces, layering stuff. You can always buy DPCA clothing from the vendor booth there! Nice stuff...

If you are horsey at all, take time to go south to Lexington (about 1 hr away) and see the Kentucky Horse Park, and/or tour racehorse farms in the area. Gorgeous....

·
Sea Hag
12,933 Posts
Buy a National show catalog as soon as you can, many years they sell out fast, early in the week. Write your name on the front in BIG letters. There'll be a table right by the conformation ring selling them.

If you're going to go to the conformation top twenty (monday night), be forewarned people dress up for it. You'll see women in evening gowns, men in tuxedos. I've never gone to that extent, but I'd never show up for it in my usual wardrobe of jeans and a t shirt. The top twenty events for obedience and agility are a lot more casual. There's a separate catalog for these events, they're not included in the regular show catalog...this is how the top twenty comittees get their funding.

I'm making a fast trip there for the regional show immediately before the National and the conformation top twenty, will be there no more than 3 days. I'll have no dogs with me. Just going to support my grandpup (Connor son), who's a top twenty finalist.

·
Registered
6,775 Posts
I am staying at the Super 8...look me up if you miss dog walking and you can borrow mine!

By the end of my last Nationals at Ft Mitchell, my 2 dogs were doing zoomies on lead and
slamming each other with paws with pent up energy. I am praying we do not have the mud fest on the show grounds like in 2009.
There is a great park about 10 minutes from the hotel where Lynn and I ran her two when we came down there.
Pretty sure Lynn and I are coming this year too, again at the beginning and leaving wednesday i think? We are bringing three dogs this time. I am hoping to put Saph in the heart study as well this time.

·
Premium Member
7,375 Posts
Great news about the park! I'll have to get info on it.

Wally was a puppy in '09 and chewed through 2 flexis that trip! Each time he just grabbed and bit down- took about 15 seconds for the flexi to pop! Then he was on a huge heavy longline, which Cheers would zoom around and tie herself up with by the end of the week. It was a bit tough walking them after about day #3!

·
joie de vivre
11,277 Posts
I'll be there. Taking both the girls through the WAE on Sunday, participating in the blood draws, and hoping to get Tali in the heart study. I booked a room at the Super 8 next door to the host hotel.

·
Registered
1,771 Posts
I'll be there (hopefully.) Just going for the Regional Sunday (Maybe showing in juniors?) and then watching Amanda in the top twenty on Monday night. We should have puppies at home then so we can't stay all week.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts