Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Super Moderator
Hairy Dog, RIP Caesar, Katana, Kip, Capri
26,256 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The February, 2012 National Geographic has a nice little article about dogs and their heredity/DNA. A couple of nice little charts, some quality pictures, fairly light text--but interesting.

It had a couple of pictures of dobermans on a page featuring lots of different breeds--it said all the pictures were dogs at Westminster, so maybe someone can recognize the dobe. I liked the head shot up at the top of the page.

And dobes were mentioned specifically in the text. Apparently there is only one dog gene which codes behavior that has been identified. Which one? Naturally, the OCD gene which makes dobes suck their flanks. It's so nice to be known for something.

I was at the doctor's office, so I didn't get to read all of the article and just scanned bits of it, but it looked at least worth picking up at the bookstore to read standing in front of the rack.

·
Paralibrarian
6,168 Posts
My grandmother gets us a Nat Geo subscription, so I don't know how I missed that! (I wonder where that issue is...)

Frequently, I look at pictures of Dobermans in books and things and wonder whose dogs they are....what breeding, etc.

·
Registered
16,037 Posts
Oh neat, Melbrod!!! My library gets Nat Geo, I can read it there and make a copy if I like the article enough. Cant beat that! Thanks for posting the info! :)

·
Dobes stole my heart <3
3,418 Posts
The February, 2012 National Geographic has a nice little article about dogs and their heredity/DNA. A couple of nice little charts, some quality pictures, fairly light text--but interesting.

It had a couple of pictures of dobermans on a page featuring lots of different breeds--it said all the pictures were dogs at Westminster, so maybe someone can recognize the dobe. I liked the head shot up at the top of the page.

And dobes were mentioned specifically in the text. Apparently there is only one dog gene which codes behavior that has been identified. Which one? Naturally, the OCD gene which makes dobes suck their flanks. It's so nice to be known for something.

I was at the doctor's office, so I didn't get to read all of the article and just scanned bits of it, but it looked at least worth picking up at the bookstore to read standing in front of the rack.
Its hard to tell with the standing pic of the dog, I only know one dobe that was at Westminster and that was Fifi, the head shot is very pretty but still hard to tell if it is her or not. I am sure there were lots of pretty dobe girls there.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts