Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2,495 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Where to begin..... about a month of two ago I noticed Luci itching and scratching, which isn't normal for her, I found fleas a flea but wasn't concerned, did her flea treatments as normal. Then I noticed she had some bumps coming up. The bumps are towards her tail more on her back and red patches of skin on her underside, flanks, armpits, etc....

Accompanying the bumps, redness, itchiness was a noticeable odor. So, off to the vet she goes. They did their exam and sent us home with some medicated shampoo, cephylexin (sp), and said that she was having an allergic reaction to something..... but what?

I changed her food after this from Solid Gold Barking at the Moon to Blue Wilderness, the fish formula. The food change was after all of these other symptoms. So a food allergy is not suspected and nothing else has changed in our home or outside environment (that I'm aware of).

Fast forward a week into the meds (shampoo and pills) and her bumps were gone and there was a decreased itchiness, however she developed some flakes.

Now all meds have been gone for a week and a half and the bumps are back and are just as bad as before, plus now there are the horrible flakes to contend with.

Any ideas, thoughts, suggestions, anything at all will be helpful. Meanwhile I'm shopping for a new vet b/c the twit that took over the practice where we go is obviously not the best. I'm not saying she's a bad vet but my experience there this past time was not helpful at all.

·
Registered
2,803 Posts
Did the vet do a scraping? Did they pull blood to check her T4 levels. Skin issues are difficult to treat because it's a long windy road to get a Dx so you can effectively treat it. Good luck!

·
Registered
2,495 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
No, they didn't do any of that but she stated she thought it may be a mild allergic reaction to something b/c it appeared so suddenly.

·
You can't kill the metal
832 Posts
You can try adding natural fish oils into the food.

My apartment is dry...we're talking super dry....the hairs on my arms stand up towards the walls sometimes and I get electric shocks more than I wish for...need a humidifier pretty bad...

anyways...

Lexi had been getting flaky skin, I was told to add this type of fish oil into her food every morning and it cleared up reasonably fast, within 2 weeks.

http://naturalfishoilbenefits.com/fish-oil-for-pets/fish-oil-for-dogs

·
Registered
16,037 Posts
Have you used any new cleaners to mop the floor, clean the carpet, wash your clothes, or sprayed any air fresheners, Febreeze? Allergies can develop any time to something previously okay. Most vets dont treat long enough for staff, which is what you get as a secondary infection to an allergy. You need to treat for at least a month. Staff is little bumps that will dry up and flake off leaving a small round bare spot. Your dog will develop a moth eaten appearance. Try giving Benadryl, PLAIN NOT COLD formula, 1 25 mg pill per 25 lbs 2 to 3 times a day. If it is an enviromental allergy, they will help w/itching, food allergy, they wont. Also you can use a apple cider vinegar spray, 1 cup ACV to 1 gal of water, to spray spots or better to rinse her off with after a bath. This dip/spray leaves the skin hostile to bacteria and yeast, another secondary to food allergies, leave dip on, dont rinse off. Add sardines to your dogs diet. Sardines will build up skin health and reduce itching tremendously.

·
Owned by Dobes since 1975
30,675 Posts
have a thryoid test for sure.

google and check out MSM supplements..........it is a (natural) dietary suphur that seems to help a lot of dogs with allergic type reactions......staph infections etc.

Hugz to Luci!

·
Registered
2,495 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks guys. I'm going to check into some of these suggestions.

·
Registered
16,037 Posts
Actually, I ran out of room, wrote a bunch more and lost it, twice! Had to take a break. If you want to know more about sardines, use the search and look for Sardines, Good for Allergies. That is an excellent thread with a lot of info. I also recommended a thyroid check. I am thinking you need a full panel run as the one for most dogs isnt sufficient for dobermans.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts