Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
well she is still great with the potty training, but tongith she got a little wild, just wouldnt calm down, went from a nice play to biting, and running like a nut... what do you do for bite corrections, she was biting me, and evrything she could find, loose or fastened..... glad she is sleeping now....

·
just a member
2,996 Posts
Its a little embarassing, but this works.....I used to scream like a little girl....It mimics the way puppys play together. When one gets a little rough, the other one does a scream to let them know its too rough. By doing the scream or a Loud "ouch", it should startle them a bit and should stop for that moment. Keep doing that constantly when they bite will teach them bite inhibition.....If this is not corrected while they are puppys, it very difficult to correct latter on.....

·
Registered
3,593 Posts
Duchess is a year and 8 months and when we do laundry upstairs on the carpet she will run around and bark at us...then lay her head on the ground and look up at us and bark bark. hahah. We call it "the crazy's" that she gets at night lol.

We just say OUCH!! Real loud like Kratty said...so that she stops and looks at you. She will probably still bite what looks fun or curious to her but just be consistent with saying OUCH!!...she will get the hang of it...and will just grow out of it I think

be careful of those puppy teeth!!! sometimes I said Ouch real loud just because it hurt so bad!! hahaha...

·
Registered
1,327 Posts
Gracie does that too. She does it every now and then now but when she does it I give a very firm no! If she does it again I put her in a sit and make her calm down some.

She also grabs everything and flings it. Socks, shoes, towels, blankets, it doesn't matter what it is. If she can grab it and fling it across the room she will. Although she doesn't chew on them it's just to get my attention that she wants something.

·
Registered
6,589 Posts
Like what was mentioned, just give her a loud yelp - or ouch. She'll get the hang of it. It's hard at that age to correct them, b/c they are just doing what is natural to them. Believe it or not, it is actually a good idea to let her mouth and give her the yelp if she gets carried away. And to wean her as she gets older to toys when ever she starts to chew or mouth. Redirect her "negative" behavior. Puppies are hard wired to be able to chew and rough play with their litter mates as well as adult dogs in their pack, that is how they learn bite inhibition, they learn what is acceptable and what is too hard. If you take a pup away from it's litter mates before it is able to learn that (and most of the time we do so we have to play the part of it's "family" and teach it these things) then it never learns these things.

If you chose away from this route though, just yelp and redirect to a toy. As she gets a little older you can even yelp, take the hands away and ignore her for 20 seconds, and give her the toy to play with then. That teaches her that nipping hands make playtime end (no fun) but biting the toy makes playtime even more fun! Make the toy fun, little tugging and pulling (easy on the baby teeth) let her win and just have a lot of fun with it!

Note to GM- I'm not coming against your advice, as Gracie is an older dog that is out of the puppy nip stage and "knows" better.:)

·
Pack Leader
1,551 Posts
Sometimes Takira also starts to get a little crazy and will go from play to a nibble to a "play bite" and run around like a nut. As soon as I see her losing control I immediatley start putting her into OB work. I will start drilling through some OB commands with her until she is back in my control, and then it seems she forgets what had gotten her all crazy to begin with. Give it a try, it cant hurt.

TD

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
im trying not to give her corrections in the buppy nipping stage, i just tend to refocus her bitew towards good things, ie her toys, but if its a really good hurt ill give her a mine as im directing her to things she can bite.. today she has decided it is good to pull my strings on my boots, she was refusing the toy and going for the boots, she got several nine's and grabbibg her by the back of her jaw, shes starting to figure it all out.... very reseptive to commands..... i just dont want to correct too much and break her spirit, i want her to know bite is good, under discretion.

·
Registered
6,589 Posts
Heheh! I think while Lex was growing up, she might have thought her name was "Nine" at some times!! That's good that you redirect her, this can be a sensitive breed, and even now it takes nothing but a firm nine to send Lex slouching and begging forgiveness. Forget ever smacking Lex, that would be the end of her world! The really crave our affection and positive reinforcement.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts