and still havn't found the right one. I have a few that i'm
fond of .. #Beau and #Mack but something still doesn't
feel like i've got the right one !
Any Suggestions? Boy or Girl

:D

·
Premium Member
8,731 Posts
Vader didn't have a call name until a few hours after we picked him up. We were headed south on I 5 and passed a town called Vader. We thought that sounded good. So he was named. Only after speaking to my sister was the whole Darth Vader thing brought to light. Her 5 year old son pointed it out. I like to think of names but once you meet them they kinda pick their own name. :).

·
formerly known as moona
1,461 Posts
I would agree that it's a lot easier to name them once you have them and get to know them a bit. I had a TON of names picked out for Dexter; but once we got him - none of them fit. The name "Dexter" wasn't even on my options list :)

·
Dobes stole my heart <3
3,418 Posts
my suggestion ... stay away from all the most common names for dogs, I have a Bella and so does half the US :( I wanted a unique name for her and got over ruled on every name I suggested to my family, and ended up with one of the most popular names ever. Our older girl is Nexus, which is a very unique name so I cant figure out why they got so mundane with the second.

Look for a name that fits the dogs personality, something that you are comfortable with, and dont worry if it is related to a registered name, it doesnt have to be short for any part of the name on paper, it can be whatever you want it to be.

·
Vicious Bitch.
3,079 Posts
I had to pick a "J" name because it was the J litter. Juno was unique. I didn't like any of the other female J names. I really didn't like Juno. But its grown on me and I love her name. :)

·
Registered
401 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
my mum actually said the name juno :D yeah might wait abit till i get it! its all about the waiting lol! but it will def be worth allmy time :D

·
Sirai Dobermans
2,100 Posts
Wait until you get the pup. I wasn't planning on getting a pup for awhile and the name I had picked out did NOT fit the pup I have. Poor Koa was nameless for 2 solid weeks. His first vet invoices have him listed as Puppy!

In the end, I couldn't have picked a more perfect name, and if I had stuck with the one I had originally chosen it wouldn't have been right for him.

·
Mom of the Herd
238 Posts
Each puppy is special in their own way, once u meet them and watch them for awhile something will come to u that will remind u of an action or a feeling u have about them........I named one because when she was born she was almost thrown away thinking she was just afterbirth, she not only lived but was a such a mighty little thing in spite of her small size. We call her MINIMOUSE !!! It will come to u when u spend sometime with them, no rush !!!

·
Registered
702 Posts
Careful what you name the puppy; my newest girl's n reg name is 'Sassy Night Fury" and we picked "Vita" as a call name... she lives both names and is a wild child. We can't just call her Vita anymore, we have hyphenated it to "Vita-Monster"...that she is!

·
Registered
1,972 Posts
Whiskey's name was Boone for a short time but it didn't fit :) We went through several name ideas in the first week and my husband was very partial to this one so Whiskey it is. I think sometimes knowing a dog helps with the naming!

·
Registered
2,264 Posts
I had the name Kronos picked out but as it got closer to meeting him is started to not feel right and when I met him it really didnt fit so then we thought maybe Kratos. But that didn't fit either, finally I picked him up and still no name. We had him for a few days until we came up with the name Odin :) The other names were to much ......??? I want to say umph? Too powerful when you said it. Odin had a fierce personality but not that fierce so Odin felt right, it was subtle yet a powerful name. Bring Thor's father and all ;) so I vote wait and see too.

·
mastiffied
1,455 Posts
Before I decided on Mason, I was seriously considering Liam, Logan, Presely and Parker, but I would wait until you meet your pup!

·
azdobiefam
14 Posts
We had planned on naming our puppy Maggie but after seeing her we changed it to Domina - I know it's kinda lame to get the name from a TV show (HBO's Rome) but roughly translated it means 'lady of the house' perfect for our little princess

·
Registered
29 Posts
When I named my pup David, I had so much opposition, from my mother especially - my nephew is David, my uncle is David. She was worried someone might be offended. But I liked the name so much that I went ahead.

·
Registered
793 Posts
We didn't name our girl our breeder did, her official name is Liberty Bell (yes she was born 4th of July weekend) and we call her Bella, well sometimes, most of the time we call her boo boo, it works and she knows it, its all just a name. She answers to both of them. If it was up to me I'd call her crazy cause she drive's us nuts most of the time but at the end of the day we love her more than life so I don't think it matters what we call her she knows we love her and we spoil her like the forth child that she is.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Make sure it doesn't rhyme with no, sit, stay, or come. I read somewhere where the first syllable should have a long vowel and it is easier for the dog to catch on. For examples, Bailey (long a) , Leroy (long e), etc. Mine is Dieter, paying homage to our German heritage.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts