Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,260 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I thought about bringing Jordan in a little early for training today to have his nails clipped by the groomers there. I do them on my own but notice they are getting a little longer so I thought I'd have them do them for me to get them as short as they can.

We've been working on his greeting exercises and he is improving but still is a little skittish of touches so we move really slow in introducing touching. I'm a little nervous about having his nails clipped because obviously they will be doing more then greeting, petting below chin, slowly to the neck and top of head.

Should I suck it up to an experience that is going to have to happen eventually or give him more time?

·
Registered
3,571 Posts
It really depends on how comfortable you feel. You know your dog and most likely how they will react.

For example, Doodle is a bit reserved with strangers handling him in certain ways. He loves his petting, but is reserved with people approaching him quickly or touching him differently. He doesn't trust easily. I just found a new groomer and didn't hesitate to leave him there. He knows what he has to do with grooming. He will let them handle him with grooming and clipping. I explain to them throughly what he likes and doesn't like. Most groomers will listen. They don't want to get bitten.

It really boils down to what you are comfortable with. If you are just going for a nail clipping, they might let you stay there with the dog. I know my last groomer would do it while I was there if that was the only thing that Doodle was there for. Took a sec for her to do. That might help put your mind at ease and help Jordan feel a bit more comfortable than being left with a stranger.

·
Premium Member
4,260 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I will be able to stay with him if that doesn't seem to distract him. He does well with the vet but that is probably because it is a friend of ours and he takes his time with waiting for Jordan to feel comfy before doing the hands on stuff. We also practice touching with my neighbors and friends.

I guess I just feel bad asking them to take the time to get him comfortable for a 5 minute nail trimming. But, he needs this as a process of learning.

·
Registered
3,571 Posts
I honestly wouldn't feel that bad. As long as it is not going to take an extended period of time over a greeting period. You might explain to them prior to going in so they can expect the delay. They might be expecting a quick trim and slot it as such.

Most groomers are in it because they love animals and want to deal with them all day. If they are rushing them in and pushing them out the door, I don't want them as my groomer. I spend a lot of money for them to do my dog. I expect some time to be spent on my dog to make them comfortable.

·
Premium Member
4,260 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks. They already do know that Jordan is in training and the issues we're working on so I'm sure they expect it somewhat. They just said to bring him in early for training and they'll get it done before his class. I figured I'd give him some time to get used to the lobby again and then let them greet him in the lobby with treats and small touches to get him used to them.

·
Registered
561 Posts
I have one word for you: Dremel. :)

·
Premium Member
4,260 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I have one word for you: Dremel. :)
LOL, I've been looking for hubbies. I have the sanding band, but not the tool itself.

Anyway, mute point. Darn guy told me this morning to bring him in early for class, around 6:30 and they would do it before class. Then I get there 40 minutes early for class and the lady at reception tells me that the groomers all leave around 6:00 on most days. Duh, I wish he would have mentioned that before instead of telling me 6:30 was fine. Good thing was he was nice and tired for class from practicing all that extra time.

Now I'm off to bed after Jordan got a good mommy clipping.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts