Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
karma eccelectic
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
my vet wont crop my dogs ears until she is 4 months. it seems a little late to me. what do you guys say? she is also charging $320.

·
Alpha SheepDog
1,366 Posts
I would find a vet that knows how to crop dobes, that is way way way too long to crop. Do some research and find someone well recommended.

·
Registered
2,656 Posts
I'd say time to find a new vet. Also, next time I would choose a breeder who does the cropping for you. This will help make sure it is done properly, by a trusted vet, and you won't have to search for one and handle the aftercare yourself. Is your dog 6 weeks old? I would look into the problems associated with leaving the litter early as well, you're going to have some extra work cut out for you.

·
Ameteur Houdini
239 Posts
Breeders normally crop their puppies around 7 weeks old. If you have a uncropped puppy, the normal time to crop is between 8 and 12 weeks. 12 is pushing it, too. 4 Months is waaaay too old.

·
u mad?
6,476 Posts
4 months (16 weeks) is way too old. I can't speak on price as my breeder handled my boy's crop but if you tell us where you are located we can give you the name of the closest good croppers to you.

·
Registered
337 Posts
my vet wont crop my dogs ears until she is 4 months. it seems a little late to me. what do you guys say? she is also charging $320.
Where in Tennessee are you? I just had my puppy's ears done in TN a few weeks ago, and I'm pleased by the job he did.

·
karma eccelectic
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
we've trained dogs my whole life. she is 7 weeks and has already learned to walk on a leash, sit, fetch, crate trained and housebroke. extra work isnt a problem.lol I thought 4 months was too long

·
Alpha SheepDog
1,366 Posts
we've trained dogs my whole life. she is 7 weeks and has already learned to walk on a leash, sit, fetch, crate trained and housebroke. extra work isnt a problem.lol I thought 4 months was too long
That's pretty good.
I sure hope you stay around, you have a talent for some things.

·
Registered
2,656 Posts
Training a doberman is simple, but sounds like you're doing a great job. I just wasn't sure if you knew about the problems associated with leaving the litter early, as well as the socialization issues. Sounds like it's all under control though.

·
Registered
716 Posts
Paid $550.00 for Kira's ears. Out of that got all free fallow up visits and tapeing. But He did it by weight, which of course I don't remember but we had her's cut at 8 weeks.

·
Registered
16,037 Posts
The only vet I would let crop my doberman puppy in this area of TN is Patty Edwards DVM in Lilburn, Ga, close to Atlanta. There is a picture of my dog when he was 3 months old on babybeesmoma's thread in this forum. That is the type of crop you would get. Patty is the only expert cropper around this area. Cropping is an art and your ordinary vet simply cant do them. Most make the ears way too wide and dont cut out the lower ear, which leaves the ears sticking out from the sides of the head.

·
Registered
2,437 Posts
dont cut out the lower ear, which leaves the ears sticking out from the sides of the head.

I have one like this and it's the kind of ear you will always look at and say" Well, it's not the worst I've ever seen but I would like a better crop."

OP, good luck and get the crop done sooner rather than later.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts