Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
3,142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Diesel went in for a checkup and his lymes vaccine and so far I've been very happy with our vet until yesterday. Nothing particarlly bad happened but she was very pushy about a few things. First being his ears. She asked why he was still being posted. I told her our breeder and all the information I had read suggested to post for all east 3-4 months maybe longer (Diesel will have been posted for 2 months this week) and she said that he should be fine now except that I also read to continue to post through teething which Diesel is in the middle of right now. I know his ears will stand for over a day. I've never tried longer and were trying to fix his ears so they don't touch at the top so I don't feel at all like he's ready to be unposted.

Second thing was the neutering. She said they were going to give me an estimate for it to be done at 6 month and I told her we will be holding off as close to 18 months as possible (assuming he doesn't drive us nuts) she then told me that the longer I wait the more risk I put on my dog when he's older and needing more medicine to keep him under. Is that true? She also said that at 6 months he would have all the use out of his boy parts as he would get which confused me. I was a little put off by how pushy she was on me to get him done at 6 months. She also mentioned he has a higher chance of becoming aggressive. Maybe it's just me I'm not sure but none of this was making sense to me.

She seemed to know a lot about the breed when I took him the first time and knew all the health risks and everything and spent an hour with us the first time to answer any questions we had now I'm just not sure. Not to mention her assistant almost let diesel fall off the table. I get that he wiggles some but I shouldn't have to worry about you dropping my dog (the vet even called her out on that) now I'm just confused and thinking of switching vets :confused:

·
Registered
12,009 Posts
My 1 first dobe was posted for 1.5 months and then done (around 4 months old, that was in 1977).
Amy had slightly longer crop and surgery side of ear more of a concave template was used...her posting was done at 6 months of posting.
(= 8 months old)...2 different show crops, 2 different finish dates.

My wife posted the ears (not me)...but I remember leaving them unposted long enough to see if we were winning the tape battle...and the unpost time allows the pup to exercise and strengthen its ear muscles. - much like taking a cast off if you broke your leg / comes off at 6-8 weeks, and not 3-4 months, so one doesn't lose as much muscle mass, quicker recovery

Nuts in a male pup, doen't make it aggressive and their was an outstanding long post a full year ago, on proper time to spay or neuter...concerning cancer risk, etc. - maybe someone has a link to it

I am always in the examining room, with my vet...and holding the dog collar myself.
- if my dog falls off the vet table, it would be my fault / not leaving it up to others

·
Registered
2,372 Posts
I also would be finding a new Vet.
Here are some studies to read on Neutering/Spaying and talk to your Vet about them. Im sure there are others. See how responsive she is about them. Seems to be 18-24 months is a good range for Neutering/Spaying

Also I would question her about Vaccinations (you can look up Dr. Jean Dodds on Vaccines) after the Puppy Core Vaccines.
Does she believe in Titers. And follow the new recomended 3 year Vaccine schedule that all the Vet schools have gone too? If she still wants the yearly boosters done. FIND a new Vet.

Behavioral and Physical Effects of
Spaying and Neutering Domestic Dogs (Canis familiaris)
Summary of findings detailed in a Masters thesis submitted to and accepted by Hunter College
by Parvene Farhoody in May, 2010.
© 2010 Parvene Farhoody & M. Christine Zink

Early Spay-Neuter Considerations for the Canine Athlete
One Veterinarian’s Opinion
© 2005 Chris Zink DVM, PhD, DACVP
Canine Sports Productions

Long-Term Health Risks and Benefits Associated with Spay / Neuter in Dogs
Laura J. Sanborn, M.S.
May 14, 2007

Discoveries
Spring 2008
DETERMINING THE BEST AGE AT WHICH TO SPAY OR NEUTER:
AN EVIDENCE-BASED ANALYSIS
By Margaret Root-Kustritz, DVM, PhD
University of Minnesota

·
Like a Ninja
3,916 Posts
I too would be finding a new vet in a heartbeat!
And to snip a couple of things
I've never tried longer and were trying to fix his ears so they don't touch at the top so I don't feel at all like he's ready to be unposted.

If they are touching at the top make sure you either have a bumper in the post and are posting at a 10 and 2 not straight up and down

I wait the more risk I put on my dog when he's older and needing more medicine to keep him under.

Yes it would take more anesthesia, because he will weight more anesthetics are done by weight... More risk between 6 mo and 18 months Doubtful... Any dog can have complications but that young I don't see it... maybe if you waited til he was 10 sure... Sounds like your vet is trying to scare you

Not to mention her assistant almost let diesel fall off the table. Personally I would have ripped the vet tech a new one if my dog almost fell off the table depending on the severity

·
Registered
5,026 Posts
If changing Vets is not an option for you, (I know it isn't for me as we don't have many in our area) perhaps you would like to do as I do.

Remind the vet that whilst you appreciate the benefit of their wisdom/opinion, it is your dog and you will do what you feel is correct. In both cases it is up to you how you proceed, you can post for longer or leave it. You can neuter him at 6 months or later, neither is going to cause him health issues in my opinion so the ball is in your court.

·
Registered
3,142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
Thank you everyone! I really appreciate the advice. I have found another vet I will be looking into. That will be our last visit. I understand her giving us her opinion but there's no need to be pushy. I explained my reasoning why and that I appreciate her info but we will be waiting.

Jonesy'smom- oh she got the look of death from me as I reached out and caught Diesel and The vet said something before I could ever get it out then I just added that she needed to watch what she was doing as he doesn't know to stay still yet. He could've seriously hurt himself at the height he as at. Luckily I always stand right next to him cause I have a hard time trusting people with my dogs. With the ears we have just started posting at 10 and 2 and took out the bridge which is the other reason I'm not ready to stop :)

Stryker- thank you. I will be looking those up.

I'm slightly irritated that she would try to scare me out of my decision. I feel like he's my pup I'll decide what's best for him. Opinions are one thing but to try to scare me into a decision I'm not comfortable with is not ok.

Thanks to everyone also who put my mind at ease about holding off on the neutering. I feel much better even though I was never doubting my choice but obviously I don't want to risk anything happening to him so this all makes me feel better.

·
Registered
401 Posts
MY vet pressured me into neutering,
One reason was because we were having aggression problems
With him, but i trusted my vet and had him neutered at 6months.
Looking back at it i wish i hadnt just followed her opinion. It didnt help
His aggression, i felt like it was just too early.
Now having research and learnt so much more about dogs in general..
I really like the fact youv stood your ground as the owner and questioned
What you didnt feel was right!.. I wish i had.

:)

·
Registered
3,142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
MY vet pressured me into neutering,
One reason was because we were having aggression problems
With him, but i trusted my vet and had him neutered at 6months.
Looking back at it i wish i hadnt just followed her opinion. It didnt help
His aggression, i felt like it was just too early.
Now having research and learnt so much more about dogs in general..
I really like the fact youv stood your ground as the owner and questioned
What you didnt feel was right!.. I wish i had.

:)
I'm sorry that happend :( I will stick with what I feel is right and we will be switching vets. Vets shouldn't pressure people to do something they arent comfortable with.

·
Super Moderator
22,000 Posts
While I am more than fine with speutering at 6 months (for a lot of people this is the best option), I'm NOT okay with a vet being pushy about that. Some people are capable of handling an intact animal and prefer to wait, and there's nothing wrong with that (if they are, in fact, capable).

I'm glad you are looking for a new vet. I would not want to work with someone who made me feel uncomfortable. My vet and I have a great working relationship, where we are both open to discussion and education.

·
Registered
3,142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
While I am more than fine with speutering at 6 months (for a lot of people this is the best option), I'm NOT okay with a vet being pushy about that. Some people are capable of handling an intact animal and prefer to wait, and there's nothing wrong with that (if they are, in fact, capable).

I'm glad you are looking for a new vet. I would not want to work with someone who made me feel uncomfortable. My vet and I have a great working relationship, where we are both open to discussion and education.
I agree. I even told my breeder that we will keep him intact until he's 18 months as long as we are comfortable with it and can handle it. He knows that at any point if it gets to be too much we will get him fixed and he was fine with that. I also explained that to my vet but she wasn't having it which was very frustrating to me.

That's the kind of vet I want to work with. Someone who respects my opinions but will help me learn more as well.

·
Registered
2,264 Posts
Odin is 8 months and I think we are done posting. It has been 3 weeks and they are still holding strong. Odin is also still intact and will until he is done showing. He has Not shown any aggression.

·
Registered
3,142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Odin is 8 months and I think we are done posting. It has been 3 weeks and they are still holding strong. Odin is also still intact and will until he is done showing. He has Not shown any aggression.
That's great! I'm hoping Diesel will be done around 6-7 months but we'll see. It's a process and I'm not sure why she's trying to rush it with the ears. Im glad to hear he has no aggression issues. I didn't think that being intact had much to do with that. I think she just felt like stereotyping my dog which is not okay.

·
Registered
2,264 Posts
That's great! I'm hoping Diesel will be done around 6-7 months but we'll see. It's a process and I'm not sure why she's trying to rush it with the ears. Im glad to hear he has no aggression issues. I didn't think that being intact had much to do with that. I think she just felt like stereotyping my dog which is not okay.
I am experienced with being around dogs and groups of dogs so I am comfortable taking Odin to the dog park. Not only do I watch Odin like a hawk I also watch other dogs and will leave if one is not being handled correctly.

Odin has no problem playing with other dogs and other dogs playing with him, every once in awhile we do get a couple of males that have a dominate personality and try to challenge Odin. Odin is not a submissive dog so when I see that I take Odin to the other end of the park. If the other dog is persistent then we just leave.

Odin has never tried to start a fight but that is also because I know what will start a fight and stop him from escalating a situation. I have taught him how to ignore certain behaviors like obnoxious dogs.

if trained correctly you can prevent a lot of unwanted behaviors like aggression.

Reactions: kwhite30

·
Registered
3,142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I am experienced with being around dogs and groups of dogs so I am comfortable taking Odin to the dog park. Not only do I watch Odin like a hawk I also watch other dogs and will leave if one is not being handled correctly.

Odin has no problem playing with other dogs and other dogs playing with him, every once in awhile we do get a couple of males that have a dominate personality and try to challenge Odin. Odin is not a submissive dog so when I see that I take Odin to the other end of the park. If the other dog is persistent then we just leave.

Odin has never tried to start a fight but that is also because I know what will start a fight and stop him from escalating a situation. I have taught him how to ignore certain behaviors like obnoxious dogs.

if trained correctly you can prevent a lot of unwanted behaviors like aggression.
I should just have you train Diesel :)

I plan on being very careful with him and doing A LOT of training with him to prevent bad habits and aggression. I'd never put him in a bad position to cause him to do something that could be seen as aggression and I'll always remove him from a situation that I'm not comfortable with or that I can tell he's not comfortable with. I feel like its all about the training and socialization you do with your dog rather then all strictly on whether he in intact or not which was the point she was trying make saying that it's all because he'll be intact.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts