Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all, well I'd like to start out by introducing Lady. I volunteer with an Animal Welfare Network in East Tn. I've had my share of fosters and permanent rescues. Because we don't have a shelter and not many volunteers we are limited on the amount of animals we can rescue and bring into our homes. Two weks ago tomorrow a call came in from a woman who had a very sick and thin dog on her property. She explained that she had made the mistake of feeding the dog and now it wouldn't go away, yeah I wouldn't want a dog dying in my front yard either *insert sarcasm here*. Without even knowing the breed of the dog, the age or how sick it was we rushed over to pick it up. There was lady curled up into a ball, she was nothing but skin and bones. Her eyes were filled with puss and swollen shut. The moment I saw her I knew she was going to be mine for forever! I have always wanted a Doberman; especially since my best friend had aquired one from the vets office we worked at. I instantly feel in love with the breed. I think Lady was sent to me :)

Lady stayed with my mother in law for the first few days so she could be treated for her eye infections and gain some much needed weight. During that time I spent my days over there with her, getting her used to myself and my two girls, who are 2 and 5. Lady came home with us on Friday and she has been the best edition to my home. She barely looks like the same dog we picked up almost two weeks ago.

Lady still has some spots where she had lost hair, she tested negative for sarcoptic mange, and the vet said the hair loss was probably due to malnutrtion, and living in the elements. I'm still treating her with ivermectin both internally and topically. She seems to be getting better but I'm wondering if there are any vitamins I can give her to help the hair grow faster since winter is upon us :p I'm also curious about the best way to help her gain weight. I am currently feedin her Authority Harvest Baked adult formula. I have fed this to all my dogs with wonderful results. Of course for Lady I mix in boiled chicken, eggs, vegitables, and noodles as well.

I've never met such a wonderful dog, she went through such a tramatic experience and has bounced back with so much love to give. She gives what she gets from us in return. Here are a few before and after pictures of her, this change has only taken two weeks, so I know she'll look amazing in just a few more.

·
Registered
521 Posts
Weclome BB11404!!! Thankyou for sharing your story about Lady. I'm glad she doing well and that she finally found a home that everybody loves her. My prayers are with her. DT is a place that your sure can learn alot.

·
Still Here Despite Rumour
4,376 Posts
A very big welcome to the the forum from me and my little herd of dobes here in the U.K. and very big WELL DONE from me for what you have done for that little girl,I just hope she goes from strength to strength and you get one of the loves of your life,as you can see from my sig pic i have a soft spot for female dobies,Lady look like she will be o.k. with all the t.l.c. i'm sure she is gonna get from you! Of course you know now that you will get the doberbug for life(it's ok it's a good bug to have).

·
Registered
288 Posts
Welcome and a big good for you. It sounds like you have the right Idea. about feeding it just takes time.

·
Premium Member
3,033 Posts
Welcome, its amazing what just love and caring can do! Big respect for all people who take in those dogs and give them a nice and warm home!

·
Banned
675 Posts
Thank you for saving Lady and taking her into your home to be part of your family. It looks like she has made a lot of progress in gaining weight already, so the rest should just take time. Has she had any other health tests done, like for parasits?

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
she was tested for worms, HW, and for mange all came back Neg, so that was a huge plus. I decided to take her to PetSmart with me today to pick her up some vitamins and some treats. She did so wonderful and she sure was excited to get out and meet new people and doggies.Thanks for all your wonderful words, I am definatly glad I have her no matter what her breed :) BTW do you guys have any opinions on her age or if she is 100% doberman? I think right now she's a little rugged to know for sure, but either way I don't care.

·
Banned
675 Posts
She looks all Doberman to me. I was going to ask you how old she is. Did your vet give you an estimate? They can usually make a pretty good guess based on the teeth.

·
Registered
6,589 Posts
Welcome!!! Lady is an absolutely beautiful girl!!!! I'm so glad she found you/you found her!!!

We look forward to hear lots more about your wonderful rescued girl!! BTW- I'd say all dobe :) We're gonna have to get her over that camera-shy look though!!!

·
Registered
1,758 Posts
Welcome to you and lady! she looks so much better in just two weeks. I can't wait to see the pictures in two months!

both my dober kids are rescues and we had to put some weight back on apollo. you may want to try throwing some boiled rice and/or cooked oatmeal into her food as well. As my nana used to say, "It'll stick to her ribs".

You may also want to have the vet to a thyroid check on her. one of the symptoms of low thyroid is hair loss/and not regrowing back. Once we got apollo on his thyroid meds his hair was back in 2 weeks.

Again, welcome and thank you so much for saving such a wonderful girl. I am sure you and your daughters will never regret it.

cc

·
Premium Member
8,732 Posts
beckabean11404 said:
she was tested for worms, HW, and for mange all came back Neg, so that was a huge plus. I decided to take her to PetSmart with me today to pick her up some vitamins and some treats. She did so wonderful and she sure was excited to get out and meet new people and doggies.Thanks for all your wonderful words, I am definatly glad I have her no matter what her breed :) BTW do you guys have any opinions on her age or if she is 100% doberman? I think right now she's a little rugged to know for sure, but either way I don't care.
She looks like 100% Doberman to me. Based on your pictures, I don't think you would have any trouble getting an ILP # (Indefinate listing privilage) from the AKC for her if you were ever interested in competing in obedience/agility/rally with her..........I know I'm getting a little ahead of you :) I just love to see people get out there and do stuff with their Doberman.

Good luck with her and keep us updated on her progress. No idea on age - talk to your vet about it.

·
Registered
6,589 Posts
Beckabean, I wanted to add also, that is an incredible improvement in Lady in just two short weeks!! You should be so proud!

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Even I'm suprised at her progress, she has made such a turn around from the dog we picked up. She still is a little flighty when loud sounds occur especially if they happen on her "blind" side. Her one eye still isn't 100% so her sight is off. Other than that she has been improving every day. The only issue I'm having right now is her proctectivness over affection, we have two other rescues, and my male lab/pit/everything else cross lol really loves his mommy, but if I'm snuggleing Lady and he tries to come up for some love too she turns into a totally different dog! I hope I've done the right thing sofar by scolding her and getting between them, I then bring them together and pet them at the same time to show her that she has to share the love. Like I said I am totally new to the owning of a doberman, I'm worried about being too tuff on her or not tuff enough. It's hard to know the best way to disciplin her when I know nothing of her past. She is nothing less than a momma's girl lol, she enjoys DH's company and gets excited when he gets home but she seems more devoted to me and the girls as well. Lol Lady will come running when she hears my youngest crying, when she finds her she'll start licking her face to comfort her. I have always been a doberman lover, never thought I would own one being in the rescue life and all lol. I just can't imagine throwing out such a beautiful creature, but I guess some people can do anything and not bat an eyelash. I consider myslef lucky, not Lady; I found the companionship, loyalty, and love I've always wanted from a dog, best thing is it's comeing from a rescue :)

·
Registered
1,358 Posts
Welcome Beckabean, glad to have you and Lady here, thank you so much for taking her and loving her. Loving her will be the easiest thing you do because Dobes are so lovable. I am also in East TN, so it is nice to have a neighbor on here. Lady is so pretty and will keep improving as time goes on, she looks like she has come a long way in two short weeks. She looks 100 % Dobe to me also.

·
Registered
8,069 Posts
Welcome, Lady is lucky to have you and it looks like you have been doing a great job. Enjoy the forum.

·
Registered
1,772 Posts
Hi and welcome to the forum.. What a wonderful thing to bring this much in need Doberman into your family.. Great for you!! Lady is a wonderful looking girl. and I know that over the next several months she will look like a totally different girl.. Shame on the people of did this to her!!!!

1 - 20 of 20 Posts