Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

My tortured dog

1K views 9 replies 9 participants last post by  mmctaq 
#1 ·
I moved to Alberta six months ago with my year and a half doberman, Xerxes. We moved in with a rotty the same age and they became good friends. However, the rotty wasn't socialized like Xerxes had been and Xerxes started learning really bad habits, barking and lunging at strangers and dogs on walks (just to fit in with the rotty). My husband knew of a place in Saskatchewan that you send your dogs and they train them the basics and send them back. I wasn't thrilled about the costs, or sending them away but he knew someone who had great results so I went along. Turns out all they do is shock train everything. They bring them along the fence with barking dogs and shock them until they learn to ignore it. They shock on EVERY command and they keep them in a set "place" all the time in the house. When we brought them back home, the two decided they hate eachother and don't stop fighting. My doberman had a huge chunk ripped out of his chest and had to undergo surgery. We have been keeping them separate for 4 months now so they don't kill one another. We have tried behaviouralists and everything. Even on walks Xerxes attempts to attack every dog and person within a blocks reach and it breaks my heart. He used to run up and kiss everyone and everything and was so happy. Now he is like a chainsaw going off every 5 minutes. Anyone have any ideas on how to get him to love again? Especially on the walks. We'd like the two boys to learn to get along again without having to give one up but I think we may have too. This is killing me more everyday to see what I did to him by sending him away. He is my pride and joy and I just want him back to how he was. Please help.

See less See more
#3 ·
Honestly, it sounds like you were in over your head owning both dogs to begin with and now you've made matters worse. Way, way worse.

You're not going to convince them to be friends again. Same sex aggression is common in Dobermans and it sounds like your male was likely just beginning to really mature and that's what started their issues, encouraged by people who didn't know how to properly train, raise, or control two powerful breeds of dog.

I would recommend you rehome one of the dogs. Or you're going to have to separate them for the rest of their lives. I hate to be so negative but if I'm completely honest, I really don't think it sounds like you have any business owning either dog. You can't handle them and they're a danger to each other and very likely a danger to you too at this point.

I'm sorry you find yourself in this situation and I'm sorry for what your dogs have been through, but not every one is suited to own every breed of dog. Your story is more reason why people need to do their research before bringing home just any dog.

If you've tried to get help and it hasn't worked - rehome them both. There is no magic answer that will fix everything or turn back time. Sorry.

#4 ·
Yes and unfortunately when you rehome, there is going to be a ton of work that has to be done with no guaranteed results of undoing the damage done.

I also hate to be so negative but your case is all about what is NOT recommended. Sorry about that. But the way I see it, you have two dogs that need to be only dogs...and who would want a dog that is already so reactive and had such bad experiences with people, dogs and training?!

Maybe someone else has more positive suggestions... sooo sad for the dogs involved and for you the owner.

#5 · (Edited)
I moved to Alberta six months ago with my year and a half doberman, Xerxes. We moved in with a rotty the same age and they became good friends. However, the rotty wasn't socialized like Xerxes had been and Xerxes started learning really bad habits, barking and lunging at strangers and dogs on walks (just to fit in with the rotty). My husband knew of a place in Saskatchewan that you send your dogs and they train them the basics and send them back. I wasn't thrilled about the costs, or sending them away but he knew someone who had great results so I went along. Turns out all they do is shock train everything. They bring them along the fence with barking dogs and shock them until they learn to ignore it. They shock on EVERY command and they keep them in a set "place" all the time in the house. When we brought them back home, the two decided they hate eachother and don't stop fighting. My doberman had a huge chunk ripped out of his chest and had to undergo surgery. We have been keeping them separate for 4 months now so they don't kill one another. We have tried behaviouralists and everything. Even on walks Xerxes attempts to attack every dog and person within a blocks reach and it breaks my heart. He used to run up and kiss everyone and everything and was so happy. Now he is like a chainsaw going off every 5 minutes. Anyone have any ideas on how to get him to love again? Especially on the walks. We'd like the two boys to learn to get along again without having to give one up but I think we may have too. This is killing me more everyday to see what I did to him by sending him away. He is my pride and joy and I just want him back to how he was. Please help.
Really? Your pride and joy? You didn't and were not willing take the time to take the dogs to obedience classes yourself. You owed that much to your dog. Dog's aren't like kids that you send off to boarding school when they misbehave.

Shame on you for subjecting your dogs to this, and shame on you for not learning more about same sex aggression with Dobermans.

Now because of your actions, the end result is going to be one, or both dogs being destroyed because of an irresponsible owner.

Maybe you should have researched the "trainer" prior to sending your dogs to an idiot with a shock collar.

You are not getting my sympathy. I'll save that for your poor dogs.

#6 ·
definitely one of the dogs should be rehomed with full disclosure of what happened, at least take one of them to a breed specific rescue where they will know how to rehabilitate.

i have first hand experience of how novice dog owners can ruin a dog (she's a rescue, trained with a "shock collar" before entering the rescue) and she was neurotic as all get out. it took a very long time, almost a year, with help from a positive trainer, for her to come around--she isn't "cured" by any means either, but she's slowly getting there.

if you want to help your Doberman, then either you have to place the Rottweiler in a rescue and invest all of your time and energy with a positive trainer (and hope to see some progress) or place your Doberman in a rescue where he can get the proper attention. there is no easy answer in your situation, either way, you're going to have to do something you probably won't like but it's for the benefit of the dogs.

#7 ·
OP- this situation is going to call for more than you or an Internet forum could ever handle. This thread will more than likely be nothing more than a witch hunt that will in turn lead to a internet crucifiction. Personally I dont care about you but I would like to see the dogs luck turn around.

I would contact both a Rott and Doberman Rescue and drain your heart to them and see if they can offer any advice/help. It would be hard to acurately asses the two dogs behavior with them in the same enviorment as each other. Their is a possibility that if seperated(two seperate homes neither being yours) they may start to come around. They will only get worse if they stay in their current situation. As for the training they received I have see some dogs who have been pretty heavily force trained. One great thing about positive mehtods is they can really turn a dog perspective around on people and training. Though dogs who have degressed into these behaviors this far would need a VERY experienced handler/trainer for any of the stuff mentioned to even be plausible. Some dogs personality/behavior in a given situation can be drasticly changed wen the situation is changed.

Do no bring your dogs to a shelter(not to be confused with a reputable rescue), aggresive dogs, especially in publicly feared dog are put to sleep first. The least you can do at this point is put them in a position for a second chance.

#8 ·
I am so sorry your dogs are in this situation. It makes my blood boil when I hear how some folk use collars to force a dog into something when they are only to be used as a last resort when all other avenues have failed.
I personally own shock collars and my dogs wear them when we go out, however, they are used as a last resort when they really are not listening to me, ie when they decide to chase a car. I never use them to make them do something like ignore a dog or person, instead I have always used my voice and a quick correction by pulling the leash.
I honestly cannot see a way out of this when you have 2 very male on male aggresive breeds, Rotties and Dobes do not usually make good bed fellows, not 2 males at least, this comes from knowing someone in the UK many years ago who made that mistake. However, if you do want to keep them you will have to take up 'crate and rotate' living, one in, one out. Exercise seperately, feed seperately, live seperately. Believe you me it is not easy, I have to keep my Dobe and Terrier seperate. But it can be done, with a lot of vigilance and determination.
Regards getting your dogs back, well you need to find a reputable trainer who uses positive training techniques, put your own lives on hold, both of you, Rottie dad and Dobe mum and go back to basics, using treats as a reward not shocks as punishment.

God how I wish I could get hold of the morons who use these collars to bully and mistreat any dog and give them a taste of their own medicine. I honestly believe that these so called quick fix places should be closed down, but alas there are enough people in the world who are willing to send their dogs to them to keep them in clover for ever and a day it would seem.

You now have to help your dogs learn to love and trust you and boy will that take time, hopefully you are willing to give it, but be prepared for some on this forum to shoot you down, they love Dobes so much (as do I) that sometimes they get a little angry and let out their frustrations in their postings, but I believe they are only wanting the best for your boy and your Rottie too.

#10 ·
It makes my blood boil when I hear how some folk use collars to force a dog into something when they are only to be used as a last resort when all other avenues have failed.
I personally own shock collars and my dogs wear them when we go out, however, they are used as a last resort when they really are not listening to me, ie when they decide to chase a car.
I would not characterize e-collars as something to be used as a last resort. Used delicately, knowledgably and with finesse e-collars are much more than a last resort. They are very humane, clear and precise tools for communication and training... they are only harsh when they are used harshly, and that has more to do with the trainer than the tool.

In your situation, I would not be looking for the correction which is harsh enough to be effective. I would be considering my dogs to be still in training and I would be working on their tendency to still make bad decisions with regard to passing cars. I would not have a dog who might make this bad decision in a position where he could act on a decision to chase a car... there would be long lines and e-collars and rewards and lots of obedience work around traffic before I would consider allowing any liberty.

#9 ·
I hope you put reviews all over the internet about what was done to those dogs and how sorry you are you didn't investigate them first and what the result of that oversight is.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.