Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
My doberman is 5 month old + my lab 7 years old. My sister is afraid of dogs and when my niece is at my house without her mom it goes well. My niece plays with the dogs all the time. But when my sister is there she pushs away the dogs she is really scare for her daugther. Is there a article something she can read that can help her ? I try to reassure her but it doesn't work. She is STUPID lol she is saying that she dont want the dog to be near her daughter.

edit : It dangerous if she keep pushing the dog away because the dog will associate that when the kid is here she is not the attraction and maybe she gonna come aggresive.

·
Registered
537 Posts
Give her a light correction. A quick two finger poke to the side of the neck with a simultaneous TSSHHH.

Should do it.

On 3, ready break.

·
Registered
9,449 Posts
If it were me, I'd put the dogs in another room and alleviate all the stress. I'm nto saying she has a reason to be scared but then again does she need a "reason" to be scared? My older sister is PETRIFIED of Dobermans and many large dogs in general. When she comes over, I put Flirt up in the back with a nice big kong and everyone is happy.

·
Dobes stole my heart <3
3,418 Posts
Sometimes forcing someone to be around dogs when they are afraid is doing more harm than good. Also, while I understand her daughter is not afraid, her mother is very uncomfortable when she is around the dog and the dog is going to pick up on that and react to it. That will make the dog nervous and now you are creating a worse situation than if you just keep them separated. When her mother is not around, let her play all she wants with the dog, it will be more relaxed and both your niece and the dog will enjoy it alot more than trying to force her mom to allow play when she is present.
Perhaps at some point, you might let your sister observe her daughter playing with the dog, without either of them knowing, and let her see how good they are and that she is safe with the dog, and alleviate her fear but dont force her cooperation. If she watches them and is still nervous or doesnt want to allow them to play while she is there you should respect that.

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
If it were me, I'd put the dogs in another room and alleviate all the stress. I'm nto saying she has a reason to be scared but then again does she need a "reason" to be scared? My older sister is PETRIFIED of Dobermans and many large dogs in general. When she comes over, I put Flirt up in the back with a nice big kong and everyone is happy.
she is scare because for her a dog can bite at any time.

·
Registered
907 Posts
For now, put the dog away when she and her daughter are around. The unneeded stress will put more pressure on the situation and cause more fear association with dogs.

Maybe on a weekend you can take her with you to an obedience class, a dog agility competition or a regular conformation competition. Just do your best as a dog and breed ambassador to take things slow with them. You're not going to cause a real change in belief without her consent. It cannot be forced.

To be totally honest, the easiest time I had converting Dobe-haters into Dobe-lovers was show them CW Dressen's Youtube Channel about his two dogs, Ramsey and Pablo. However, these people did not have such a strong fear of dogs altogether before, just a negative association with dobermans.

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
For now, put the dog away when she and her daughter are around. The unneeded stress will put more pressure on the situation and cause more fear association with dogs.

Maybe on a weekend you can take her with you to an obedience class, a dog agility competition or a regular conformation competition. Just do your best as a dog and breed ambassador to take things slow with them. You're not going to cause a real change in belief without her consent. It cannot be forced.

To be totally honest, the easiest time I had converting Dobe-haters into Dobe-lovers was show them CW Dressen's Youtube Channel about his two dogs, Ramsey and Pablo. However, these people did not have such a strong fear of dogs altogether before, just a negative association with dobermans.
she dont want to come to a obedience class and she is scare of all dog not only doberman

·
u mad?
6,476 Posts
I wouldn't take it upon yourself to cure her fear of dogs. It could ruin your friendship. Does she even want to try to fix her fear? When she's around I'd put the dog away, that solution doesn't harm anybody.

·
Dobes stole my heart <3
3,418 Posts
she dont want to come to a obedience class and she is scare of all dog not only doberman
Someone like this who believes all dogs bite at any time may never get over her fear. If she was ever bitten herself it may be worse. You can try to reassure her about your own dog, and in time perhaps she might become comfortable enough with that, but its possible that may not happen. If your niece is not afraid and she will play with the dog when her mom is not around, that may be best, and just tell her that it is better if she doesnt play with the dog around her mom. Or, if you can find a way to alleviate her moms fear and let her play without the dog being around the mom that could work.
It is also possible to have her come by when you have a trainer at the house working with the dog so she can see that he is well trained.

Reactions: Sherryh and roxy12

·
Registered
3,599 Posts
I've had two bad experiences with dobermans. One a large dobe run me down some stairs and we closed the door to see his teeth! The other a female almost bite my hand as I was petting them. But that didn't stop me from having two beautiful loving, dobermans.When you can let the people see how loving, caring, and fun the dogs really are.........
I know when people come to my house and they are afraid of dogs I put Devon in my bedroom.
We had a guest stay over night at our home and they were yelling at Devon. I very nicely ask them to never yell at my dog. I would never yell at them. I told my dog right there to stay away from our guest. Devon did she never licked him again or sit near him....dogs know....they are very smart!!
When my guest left our home he said he was so impressed how loving and obedient our dobe was .............LOL! I wanted to kick him in the head but again you have to have patience on where they are with accepting dobes....

·
Registered
12,009 Posts
A PICTURE IS WORTH A 1000 WORDS:
Video tape or take a ton of pictures of you niece playing and having safe fun with the dogs.

With pictures, you and your niece could make a scrap book, and present it to your sister...to explain the situation better.

And let your sister know:
- children that are not scared of dogs, growing up are less likely to be bit by a dog...so you are teaching the young girl a good life skill

·
_______
5,102 Posts
We have a friend who fancies himself a dog person, yet every dog breed I like save for one or two he disses. Our girl LOVES him to death but frankly I am sick of his annoyance w/her in comparison to other dogs he talks about.

From now on as of last week I've decided to put our girl away when he's around. It's as simple as that. It's the attitude.

It may be easier when the kids are older but I would be *just* as protective of *MY* dog in that situation.
There's always someone like that somewhere if you've got people coming over.
And then again, in some situations I can think of happening now in our family, it would be good for the KID if the dog weren't nearby, due to their thinking just because they got a lab it didn't need training. *groans*
(not saying yours is this situation)

1 - 14 of 14 Posts